Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ok so this does not look good for me
    Quote Originally Posted by gibby
    Ok so this does not look good for me
    Considering that it hasn't even been announced, and that Colligan hinted that other carriers wouldn't even get a shot at the 700w until Q2 2006, you wouldn't be getting a Sprint 700w any time soon anyhow.

But since they are two entirely different systems, I don't see why Sprint would undertake the huge ordeal to allow the systems to talk to each other. They will be separate carriers until Sprint sells the iDEN spectrum back to the government.
    I'm back!
    Was in a Sprint store today to have my 650 replaced b/c Calendar would not sync. Two associates said the 700W will be available 1/1/06. I'm not pretending I believe it, just passing the info.

Regarding sharing with Nextel. The whole system won't be 'one' until 2010 according to one of those same associates.

Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    ... you wouldn't be getting a Sprint 700w any time soon anyhow.

But since they are two entirely different systems, I don't see why Sprint would undertake the huge ordeal to allow the systems to talk to each other. They will be separate carriers until Sprint sells the iDEN spectrum back to the government.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Was in a Sprint store today to have my 650 replaced b/c Calendar would not sync. Two associates said the 700W will be available 1/1/06. I'm not pretending I believe it, just passing the info.
    Well, if that was true, wouldn't that be about the best kept secret ever? Neither Sprint nor Palm has been able to keep these things quiet before, if that really was true, I'd have to believe the Sprint 700w will be about the best thing ever, 'cause if they could keep it quiet, then I'd have to believe that they were also able to engineer the hell out of the thing.

This does though, go against everything Colligan said when they announced the 700w, since it was supposed to be a Verizon exclusive for a while. That would mean that a) He lied (I know, don't be too shocked), or b) That something major happened between Palm and Verizon, or Palm and Sprint.

My inner cynic is telling me that this is just another case of the clueless minimum wage.

Regarding sharing with Nextel. The whole system won't be 'one' until 2010 according to one of those same associates.
    Quite possible, and probably likely (even though the government really wants that iDEN spectrum back quickly), but again, gossip from the bottom feeders who probably aren't on the merger memo distribution list.
    I'm back!
    Agreed, hence my disclaimer. With the lack of knowledge they have of their existing products, I doubt they actually know when a new product will be arriving.
    All of this said, I'll probably get whichever comes first to sprint, the 700p or the 700w.
    The comment on minimum wage above, while a bit snobby, is absolutely true. Half the time sprint customer service reps have their heads up their a'**es. Most of the time they provide incorrect information and their customer service has always been extremely terrible. The service itself, once it is on, seems to work pretty good, at least in my 5 years of being with them. I've been through the I300 Palm Phone, the I330, then the Treo 600, and now the Treo 650. I've loved them all but with the 700 coming, this is the time to jump ship to verizon, get the new customer discount, and from what I hear EXCELLENT customer service when you call.

I am excited but never ever trust a release date in this forum, that's what I learned on the 650 anyway. Take 6 Jan, add two weeks, multiply by 6, divide by two, and subtract 4 weeks. That should be about 20 Jan 06.

Eric
    I haven't seen any type of press release yet, but do we know if this is happening any time soon? Getting a bit tired of the reset issues and Sprint's apparent lack of interest in correcting those issues with my 650. 700w or 700p just might be the ticket ;D
    Two associates said the 700W will be available 1/1/06.
    Came and went and nothing to show for it. Sprint liars!

I'm back!
    When the Treo 650 for Sprint had already come out and the wait for Verizons had begun there was much talk about converting a Sprint 650 to a Verizon. It can be done with some modifications of cords and allot of tediousness. I have not done it myself but i would assume the same process could be done the other way with the 700...
    But as we all know assuming can make an *** of you and me--like the assumption sprint comes out with them before Verizon. Anyone know if this would work?
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerCatFish
    When the Treo 650 for Sprint had already come out and the wait for Verizons had begun there was much talk about converting a Sprint 650 to a Verizon. It can be done with some modifications of cords and allot of tediousness. I have not done it myself but i would assume the same process could be done the other way with the 700...
    But as we all know assuming can make an *** of you and me--like the assumption sprint comes out with them before Verizon. Anyone know if this would work?

I don't think Sprint will activate a phone that wasn't theirs. Therefore I wouldn't buy one from VZW with the idea of converting to Sprint (unless I'm wrong on this).
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    I don't think Sprint will activate a phone that wasn't theirs. Therefore I wouldn't buy one from VZW with the idea of converting to Sprint (unless I'm wrong on this).
    There is certainly a lot of Sprint specific content (firmware, software, and configuration data) in a Sprint phone. While I have not checked one out, I suspect the same is true of a Verizon phone. I am not aware that one can even buy a CDMA phone that is not bound to or branded by a carrier.

Therefore, moving a phone from Verizon to Sprint would seem to involve more than simply registering it on Sprint as one would do with any new Sprint branded phone.
    I just got off the phone with Sprint Treo Technical Support -- I needed an upgrade for my 650 to get it to recognize more towers -- and the representative said that they -- Sprint -- expects to get new Treos in the 1st quarter of 2006 and that they will be Windows Mobile & NOT Palm OS based.
    Not happening. Unless Sprint raised a ***** fuss at Palm and VZW. VZW was announced to have an exclusive deal with the WM Treo for at least 1qtr. Expect a PalmOS one first from Sprint, and that exclussive to them.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    SPCS told their folks that they'd have the phones in for them to train on 1Q06 and the Rep misunderstood. As a result the Rep is spreading false information.
    Sprint is smokin something. Verizon has it until June 2006, maybe they are talking about Palm's Q1, but still.
    What is up with this ? why would palm not want to sell as many phones as they can... this is stupid .
    I wan't my Sprint Treo 700w NOW !!!
    Two things:

First - After reading posts on this site for years, I have never seen a rumor that came from a Sprint Tech Support person actually come true. They are clueless about future Sprint Plans. Sprint keeps them that way, because they obviously have loose lips.

Second - It is my understanding that Verizon has an exclusive lock on the 700w for somewhere around six months. The deal was similar to the deal that Sprint had with the Treo 300. I could be wrong, because I can't remember where I read it.
    I wonder if that exclusive period also applies to a Palm OS version like 700P.
    The T-Mobile rep told me that they are getting the 700w in Q1. (Will it happen? Who knows?)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast