Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm seriously considering the switch to the dark side partially as a defensive measure. Here are my thoughts on the rationale behind switching and on individual apps.

-We know WM will be advanced in the future, but we don't know what the future of Palm OS is. So do I continue to spend money on Palm apps, or do I take the hit now with relative certainty that even if Palm can't get me excited with future WM Treos, HTC/Dell/HP will have lucrative offerings?

-Palm Linux could be great, or it could be vaporware.

-There will be a Treo with EVDO and multi-tasking available shortly (700w). Those are two major enhacements IMO.

-Regardless of the circumstances, I won't be an early adopter of the 700w like I was with the 600 and 650 because:
    - I have no intention of paying Verizon $35/mo or losing my current Sprint plan (unless Sprint announces availability at the same time).
    - I want to see what Palm has in store for future Palm-based Treos. If there will be a Cobalt Treo by springtime, I'll wait.
    - I'm not crazy about going backwards in screen res. (If only the 6700 was a little thinner...)

I'm looking for comments from those who have gone to the other side about my list (are there comparable apps I don't know about, or are there no comparable apps for ones that I think there should be):

Apps that I'll miss:

Chatter
    DA
    QuickNews
    HiLauncher
    - what an app - with this, I've replaced:
    ClockPop5,CoLauncher,McPhling,Crash,4cast,StockBrokerPro,BCalcPalm, and generally changed the way I use my Treo overall. This might be hard to replace
    yBasic - I love on-board programming tools. Hopefully I can find something

DA would be a big loss, but not a deal breaker. The others are heavily used apps and would be greatly missed. Any suggestions?

Apps I can replace:

TomTom
    DocsToGo - if PWord and PExcel are good, it's a wash. If not, I'll get TextMaker and (Sheetmaker?)
    SplashWallet

Resco Explorer-text editor, file browser , zip utility, backup utility- I'm sure I'll find equal or better apps on the other side (maybe even Resco Explorer itself).

VeriChat - PPC version - does my lifetime license transfer over?
    Xiino - I think there are many good browsers on the other side, but I love the cruise feature
    Camcorder/Camera - should be built-in

Firestorm/NesEm - there should be several emulation options on the other side
    HoldEm by Stand Alone - available for PPC - must be other good hold em apps also
    Pocket Tunes/TCPMP - does the built-in Windows Media Player do the job?
    Top Sudoku - shouldn't be impossible to replace
    BT Reverse DUN-won't be an issue if I have Wi-Fi built in (as in the 6700)
    ChessGenius-Fritz?
    eReader
    MetrO
    XMan - I'll use the Palm emu to run this if need be
    YAUC-same as XMan
    SoundRec - built-in?

I think there are comparable apps for the following, but correct me if I'm wrong:

SmallTalk
    Translate
    SMBMate
    KBLightsOff
    PowerRUN
    Print
    Screenshot
    PowerOne
    CardExport - built-in?
    EzFTP
    PayOffPlus
    - I'll put together a spreadsheet if there's no comparable app
    NoviiRemote-hopefully a better app with a stronger IR port in the future (if not from Palm, then others)
    DictionaryToGo/LexSpell

Finally, what other things can I do with WM that aren't even covered among the apps listed here?
    DA is not a deal-breaker? Man, that's a deal-breaker for me. It's the only app that my fiancee will grab my Treo to use over her Blackberry.
    chatter is the only app that is holding me back from making the switch. marc might get a wm version out but until then i will have to ride it out with my 650...
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Here are my thoughts on a few from your list I've had experience with:

You can easily replace QuickNews with Egress (http://www.garishkernels.net/egress.html). It's light years ahead IMHO (I own and use both). It even supports the Bloglines API so I can read my feeds online, but when it's time to read on my WM device, I don't have to weed through stuff I've already read.

SplashWallet apps are available for both platforms. SplashData allows the same reg codes to work, too, so you won't have to buy them again.

Resco is primarily a WM developer - Resco Explorer is most definitely available for WM, but as a separate purchase.

4cast? There's an embarassment of riches available for weather software on WM. Check out PocketWeather (or anything, for that matter) by SBSH (http://www.sbsh.net/products/pocketweather/) or WeatherPanel by Marsware (http://www.marsware.net/WeatherPanel/features.htm). Animated weather icons, moving radar images, transparency layers... and much more - all unavailable for the Palm.

Web browsers... you'll have your choice of no less than two browsers (Minimo, NetFront) that support tabbed browsing and one add-on for Pocket IE to add the feature (PIE Plus). Opera, as well.

TCPMP is the Palm port of BetaPlayer which preceeded it's creation.

I've not used TomTom, by Mapopolis is great on my PPC. I can't even use it on my Treo - it crashes making any route to anywhere.

PowerRun isn't needed. Most apps run fine off the card.
    Last edited by phurth; 09/25/2005 at 09:04 AM.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    wait at least until Monday afternoon and see if Palm is smart enough to introduce a 700p too, or at least tell us it's coming in the product roadmap they are suppose to talk about.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Until Profiles or it equivalent is avaiable in wm5, I can't switch. Without profiles, I might as well go back to dumb non-PDA phone.

BTW, does anyone know if TomTom works on WM5? (I know it works on wm2003)
    I've already found a comparable Windows Mobile equivalent for all the apps I like to use on my Treo 650.

I'm just waiting for a PPC that I really want to switch to. The Treo 700w might be it. But then again it might not... So far they have not gotten it right for me yet. We'll see come Monday.

Years ago when I used to run Linux I came close to ending all use of Windows, but simply could not find some apps I need to do business with in Linux form. It's kind of funny that now my life with a handheld is kind of the vice-versa of that .

I figure one day we'll all be discussing if we will convert to Google based devices .
    guys, you all are already giving up on palmOS. thats unnecessary. just wait up. this windows stuff is not for us. palm will take care of its year-long customers and provide us with the software we are proud of using and well acquainted with. it'll definitely be interesting to have more treo users and it'll be more interesting when windows treo users will just not be able to use their gadgets as efficiently as we palm people do. so just relax and let the windows hype happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx
    palm will take care of its year-long customers and provide us with the software we are proud of using and well acquainted with.
    I've been using Palms for 8 years now. I think I'm pretty familiar with the Palm way of doing things and how "proud" the next release will make me...and I can't wait for Monday's announcement and hope this PPC is good enough to make me want to get a Treo 700w.

Folks stop looking at this as a "one versus the other". Use what works best for you. If you don't like the PPC no need to bug us who are interested.
    <<Use what works best for you. If you don't like the PPC no need to bug us who are interested.>>

sorry, didn't want to start a palm-windows comparison discussion. just wanted to keep palmOS enthusiasts' hopes alive.
    Nothing or no one else has call filter, or something very close to it... That plus simple profile manager, and I'll happily switch to anything.
    http://www.aditusnet.it/crino/crisof...otto.asp?id=11

Call SMS Blocker Lite
    Application to create blacklist/whitelist to block incoming calls and sms.
    Features:
    - no notification on device
    - action for calls to block: hangup, mute and reply with sms;
    - action for sms to block: move to 'waste basket', move to 'blocked', reject and reply with sms;
    - read pocket's contacts;
    - icon in tray to fast access;
    - clipboard support;
    - italian, english, french, german,spanish, s-chinese and t-chinese languages;

With 'Lite' version you can create only two lists and activate 10 numbers at the same time.

NB: to configure the lists:
    1. create the lists on 'Lists' tab;
    2. tap&hold on the list and click 'Modify';
    3. insert numbers manually or pickup from contacts' list.

Tested on:
    There is going to be a problem that most of these software were written for WM2003SE, and it may be many months before it becomes available for WM5.

Surur
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    HiLauncher- what an app - with this, I've replaced:
    ClockPop5,CoLauncher,McPhling,Crash,4cast,StockBrokerPro,BCalcPalm, and generally changed the way I use my Treo overall. This might be hard to replace
    How did you use HiLauncher to replace 4cast?
    Does anybody know if there is a good ToDo or Task Manager built-in or available via 3rd party?

I would also require a Shortcut feature that includes a datestamp (built in with the Treo, but incredibly difficult to use, hense Shortcut5).
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    Nothing or no one else has call filter, or something very close to it... That plus simple profile manager, and I'll happily switch to anything.

There is a powerpc app called smartfilter that is almost exactly the same as callfilter. I used it on the MPX220 with zero issues
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Does anybody know if there is a good ToDo or Task Manager built-in or available via 3rd party?

I would also require a Shortcut feature that includes a datestamp (built in with the Treo, but incredibly difficult to use, hense Shortcut5).
    For tasks (and calendar, etc...) you can check out PocketInformant or Agenda Fusion. Both are very powerful PIM replacements.

WM 2003 doesn't have shortcuts. I'm not sure about WM5. The handwriting recognition software replacement Calligrapher can do *very* powerful macros (or shortcuts). Not only entering longer data strings, but also performing commands, launching apps, etc... but it's still really easy to use.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    I've never used it, but a quick Google search found this:

http://www.jgui.net/phoneprofiles/
    Would these macros include a DateStamp?
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Would these macros include a DateStamp?
    Yes. Just write "date" (without quotes) anywhere on the screen and draw a circle around it.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast