Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I've already found a comparable Windows Mobile equivalent for all the apps I like to use on my Treo 650.
    Is there a WM equivalent of PDANet and Verichat? I've confirmed GoodLink 4.5 will work on WM5, so those equivalents are all I really need.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS
    Is there a WM equivalent of PDANet and Verichat? I've confirmed GoodLink 4.5 will work on WM5, so those equivalents are all I really need.
    Umm, verichat is written for ppc. And you don't need pdanet as ppc has this functionality built in unless they disable it (the w-modem program on the 6700).
    I will miss Natara Bonsai. I don't know if there are any good replacements for that application on the WM platform.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I was an early Treo adopter (T300 and T600) who made the jump to WM last year (had a PDA2k, MPx and now an i730). Just a few thoughts to add to this discussion:

1) As far as web browsers, WM wins hands down. It really is an embarassment of riches to chose from. In addition to PIE (which is great, but only with add-ons), you have NetFront, Thunderhawk, Opera (java only right now) and Minimo. I have all of these loaded right now on my i730, plus I've even kept my old favorite from my Treo days, Reqwireless Webviewer (again, java only).

2) Marc is great . . . I was a big Chatter fan when I had my Treos, but I'm not sure why the loss of Chatter would be a deal breaker for someone looking to switch, as true Push e-mail is built directly into WM5. Haven't tried it yet myself since the i730 is WM03, but it should work great. Since leaving the Treo world, I've purchased a subscription with a hosted exchange server (4Smartphone.com) and, for a few bucks a month, I get simulated push (via hidden SMS triggers, sort of like with TreoHelper) which works great. Plus, unlike Chatter (at least, as it was back when I had a Treo), there is no drain on battery life.

3) As for the loss of DA, there is a new WM app out called "DirectAssist" from GoConnect which is very good.

4) There are many, many great RSS newsreaders to chose from, including several which support direct, scheduled downloading of podcasts. This has been a really great new feature for me -- much more convenient than downloading to my PC and then syncing over to my iPod. I simply set the app to download some podcasts overnight while my phone is in the cradle (over EVDO or built-in WiFi, doesn't really matter) and then they are ready to listen to in them morning.

5) There is one application that I do sorely miss from my Treo days, and I mean BIG TIME: Treo KeyCaps. I used it religiously on my T600 and a day doesn't go by that I don't rue the loss of this great hack.

Not trying to convince anyone to make the switch; rather, I just want to let Palm people know that WM really is a viable option to consider.

David
    Last edited by davpel; 09/26/2005 at 03:00 PM.
    What app I'll miss most has already been discontinued. I use Margi Presenter for Powerpoint presentations to clients. It's one of the most outstanding apps ever made for the PalmOS, and a real eye-catcher. They also made a PPC version. Unfortunately, they discontinued the system this year. I don't know of anyone who has a comparable Powerpoint presentation system. It's a real loss as far as I'm concerned. The only solice I have is that I can use Margi Presenter with my Treo 650. If I have to switch to WM, I'll be SOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Does anybody know if there is a good ToDo or Task Manager built-in or available via 3rd party?
    There are loads of them. I personally use Wisbar Advance 2 as it also offers very useful OS skins and other features that I have come to depend on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Buntline
    What app I'll miss most has already been discontinued. I use Margi Presenter for Powerpoint presentations to clients. It's one of the most outstanding apps ever made for the PalmOS, and a real eye-catcher. They also made a PPC version. Unfortunately, they discontinued the system this year. I don't know of anyone who has a comparable Powerpoint presentation system. It's a real loss as far as I'm concerned. The only solice I have is that I can use Margi Presenter with my Treo 650. If I have to switch to WM, I'll be SOL.
    There is a whole range of Presentation programs for WM, everything from free included with certain models to professional level 3rd party apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    There are loads of them. I personally use Wisbar Advance 2 as it also offers very useful OS skins and other features that I have come to depend on.
    I don't think he means that kind of task manager (btw, I use Wisbar 2, and sometimes Icbar on my e755.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Sorry...I skimmed to fast....so to answer the question about to do task managers...yes there is a again a whole slew of 3rd party options if the built in task manager does not meet your needs. I personally use Pocket Informant for all of my Outlook needs.

For those who are curious about WM apps avabilable I collected a list a while back and posted it here:

Software For PPC
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=67279

I know it is a little dated now, but the info is still good.
    Sorry...I skimmed to fast....so to answer the question about to do task managers...yes there is a again a whole slew of 3rd party options if the built in task manager does not meet your needs. I personally use Pocket Informant for all of my Outlook needs.
    Damn Hobbes, you run everything I do!

The good thing about WM devices is the Today screen. You can display your Tasks or any number of things on the Today screen.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    davpel - There's no such thing as a TCP/IP based email program that doesn't drain battery... It would be like making voice calls without draining battery...

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Damn Hobbes, you run everything I do!
    Well, you know what they say about great minds! I guess Tigers and Monkeys to have a lot in common!
    There is a whole range of Presentation programs for WM, everything from free included with certain models to professional level 3rd party apps.
    But can you plug them into a projector or monitor and display them? That's what the Margi Presenter does, and that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks...
    Well, you know what they say about great minds! I guess Tigers and Monkeys to have a lot in common!
    Tigers & Munkees & phones, oh my!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RichS
    Actually, 4.5 will not work on WM5. There is a new version that will support WM5 that is currently in beta.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Hi Marc. No insult intended to you or your great application. I was merely trying to point out that there are push and quasi-push solutions for WM as well which don't cost an arm and a leg.

When I referred to there being no battery drain, I was talking about the WM03 quasi-push solution using an exchange server (otherwise known as the "autd" method). With autd enabled in WM03, the exchange server sends a silent SMS (unseen to the user) to your phone which tells the device that new mail is available. The device then does a fetch in the background and alerts the user that a new message is waiting. Because nothing happens until an SMS is received, there is no battery drain inherent to this process.

Now, as far as the true push solution which is built-in to WM05, I would imagine that you are absolutely correct -- this is TCP/IP based and would seemingly affect battery life.

Again, please don't think I'm trying to steer people away from your application, Marc. That wasn't what I intended anyway. I used Chatter (the old IM-based version, at least) all the time when I had a Treo, and if I ever were to go back to a Palm, I would no doubt use it again (I especially loved your responsiveness as a developer -- probably the best customer support I've ever experienced with any application, whether it be PC, PPC, Palm, whatever). I just didn't want people to think that there are no decent, inexpensive push options for WM which might scare people away from making a switch to WM.

David
    But can you plug them into a projector or monitor and display them? That's what the Margi Presenter does, and that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks...
    Certainly....I don't use them in my line of work, but I do know they exist. A quick google or a trip over the PDAphoneHome should help you track one down.

Thanks...
    Take a look at the iGo Pitch Duo
    Just a note - you can run Palm OS apps on Windows Mobile - see here: http://styletap.com/
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Good point. There are some programs that will not run on Styletap, but it does get overwhelming positive reviews across all the forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast