Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by donric609
    chatter is the only app that is holding me back from making the switch. marc might get a wm version out but until then i will have to ride it out with my 650...
    I'm right there with you. I'm a PPC user anyways, so I've got the software already. All except a WM version of Chatter. If and when that happens, I'll get a WM phone (but NOT the 700.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I'm right there with you. I'm a PPC user anyways, so I've got the software already. All except a WM version of Chatter. If and when that happens, I'll get a WM phone (but NOT the 700.)
    Do you think it would be worthwhile to start a thread over in the Chatter forum discussing Chatter's features compared with what WM folks have to put up with? It's a huge potential market for Marc and perhaps he can be persuaded?
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    At the expense of flaming, ( I did a search) what is DA?
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Do you think it would be worthwhile to start a thread over in the Chatter forum discussing Chatter's features compared with what WM folks have to put up with? It's a huge potential market for Marc and perhaps he can be persuaded?
    I'd really like to. But I mentioned in another thread (it may have been you I was replying to) that I think part of the reason Chatter is such a great product is that Marc can devote his energy to just one app, one platform. I have no doubt if he set his mind to it, he could it. But it would have growing pains that would need attention, attention that might otherwise be devoted to the Palm version.

Of course (and I'm getting way ahead of myself here) should the WM Treo prove to be the demise of future Palm versions, he may have to switch out of neccessity.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by MiteMom
    At the expense of flaming, ( I did a search) what is DA?
    Flame On!!!
    Directory Assistant /Flame Off!

I'd really like to. But I mentioned in another thread (it may have been you I was replying to) that I think part of the reason Chatter is such a great product is that Marc can devote his energy to just one app, one platform. I have no doubt if he set his mind to it, he could it. But it would have growing pains that would need attention, attention that might otherwise be devoted to the Palm version.

Of course (and I'm getting way ahead of myself here) should the WM Treo prove to be the demise of future Palm versions, he may have to switch out of neccessity.
    Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want to see anything change w/the Palm version (or the great support, which also requires time). Maybe he could partner with someone like WebIS to improve their Mail product - which isn't bad. Feature-wise it's just not in the same league as Chatter.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Thanks monkey warrior...now move this if it's not appropriate here.....but this seems similar to a function in Express, but it's free and uses the yp.com? Besides that, is it faster than Express?
    Well, I would agree that it's a bit premature to start jumping ship. I think it would be wise to wait for at least the second incarnation . Remember that the HP Pocket PC Phone (T-Mobile) was so buggy at the beginning that it was actually pulled off the market. It's not that easy to build one of these things and have it actually work well. Lot's of things will be different on such a device. The look and feel of the basic apps is likely to affect all those who switch. I have a hard time understanding why it would be called a Treo at all. Two apps that I will miss will be Shadow Plan and Planetarium.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that Linux based Palm. The Palm OS camp seems in total disarray. I wouldn't be at all surprised if MS has strong direct or indirect interests in the Japanese company that purchased it. Regrdless of how people feel about it, this is a key area and a seemingly major victory for Microsoft. They have just taken over the most advanced smartphone in the world.
    Last edited by copernicus; 09/25/2005 at 12:09 PM.
    I echo the comments about Chatter. I wouldn't switch without it. I'm also very dependent on Datebk5. Is there anything as good with WM?
    Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want to see anything change w/the Palm version (or the great support, which also requires time). Maybe he could partner with someone like WebIS to improve their Mail product - which isn't bad. Feature-wise it's just not in the same league as Chatter.
    That wouldn't be a bad idea. I use PI, so I would like to see that. Wouldn't mind supporting both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by horatio8
    I echo the comments about Chatter. I wouldn't switch without it. I'm also very dependent on Datebk5. Is there anything as good with WM?
    Pocket Informant, or Agenda Fusion.

And just to add to skfny's list, you wouldn't need CardExport, as ActiveSync lets you browse and manipulate the entire contents of your device from the PC.

12.    #32  
    Thanks for all your comments guys. The WM switch is really looking like a feasible option, as long as all those apps will work properly ona square screen.

And to respond to jg70124, here's how I used Hi-Launcher to replace StockBrokerPro / 4cast:

Those two apps essentially just provide a better interface to information from Yahoo. The benefits are that they save info for off-line viewing, and that they can be accessed quickly, like an app.

I use Xiino to cruise web sites and save them for later viewing. I use Hi-Launcher's key shortcuts to give me one-key access to all those web pages. So I get the same information, with similar formatting, and everything is available for viewing offline. In addition, I can find mobile sites for sports, movies, etc. And it's all synced at once when I cruise. A total cruise of my 25 pages takes about 3 minutes.

Still no replacements for yBasic / Hi-Launcher and Chatter...
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Still no replacements for yBasic / Hi-Launcher and Chatter...
    yBasic - I'm no programmer, but how about NS Basic CE (http://www.nsbasic.com/ce/)
    Hi-Launcher - there are any number of launcher/info apps out there for WM. Check out the SBSH website (www.sbsh.net) for iLauncher or Journal Bar from OmegaOne (http://www.omegaone.com/journalbar/default.htm) for starters.

There is nothing functionally equivalent to Chatter on the WM side. One neat e-mail app is ProfiMail (http://www.lonelycatgames.com/index....pter=profimail) which has an interface that has to grow on you, but I found it very fast and can even fully render HTML e-mails (with images). It doesn'r support IMAP push e-mail, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Good point. Also Netfront does tabbed browsing. I can't express how frustrating I find single window browsing after having gone "tabbed".

Another browser to keep an eye on (it's not yet ready for prime time) is Minimo, the WM port of Firefox/Mozilla. I think it will soon support Firefox plug-ins like Adblock. I've not heard any rumblings of a PalmOS port.
    I'm not sure if it'll run on WM5 yet, but there is a browser called ftxpBrowser for WM200x that allows tabs. It uses the PIE engine.

I'm not sure if it'll run on WM5 yet, but there is a browser called ftxpBrowser for WM200x that allows tabs. It uses the PIE engine.
    Hadn't heard of ftxpBrowser. It appears PIE Plus does the same thing, but with more features. I don't know if it works on WM5 either, though.

So let's see... there are at least 4 ways to get tabbed web browsing on a PPC. Wow.
    <moved>
  19.    #39  
    yBasic - I'm no programmer, but how about NS Basic CE (http://www.nsbasic.com/ce/)
    Hi-Launcher - there are any number of launcher/info apps out there for WM. Check out the SBSH website (www.sbsh.net) for iLauncher or Journal Bar from OmegaOne (http://www.omegaone.com/journalbar/default.htm) for starters.

There is nothing functionally equivalent to Chatter on the WM side. One neat e-mail app is ProfiMail (http://www.lonelycatgames.com/index....pter=profimail) which has an interface that has to grow on you, but I found it very fast and can even fully render HTML e-mails (with images). It doesn'r support IMAP push e-mail, though.

I'll look into some of those apps. So Chatter remains the sole reason to remain with the Palm OS (and it IS a deal-breaker IMO).
    i use both Treo 600 and i-mate running WM5...

The phone functions are super on the Treo but web browsing is superior on the i-mate.

what I like on the i-mate:
    - Voice Command to make calls
    - Browser
    - Mapopolis

i will get the Treo700w when Snappermail is available on the WM5 platform...
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast