Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    <merged>

please search next time!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    It's all very sad Fianlly, as usual after long time and many crappy iterations MS came to the point where Win Mobile is indeed better than POS (now it desreves this abbreviation). MS got to dominate one more sector. All rejoice and welcome to technology USSR! The more you give money to MS the closer you get to a single choice paradize.

And again, like in case with Netscape, Borland and many others, it's not thru genuine innovation but thanks to huge money war chest (out of desktop monopoly) that allowed to persist thru smaller competitor's eventual mistakes, incompetence and loss of direction. What are the next eventual victims that still for now dominate in their repspective fields? My guess: - Firefox trahsed by IE7 or IE8 full of stolen ideas, mp3 and iPod eaten by WMA, Google (and then Yahoo) choked by MSN+AOL combo, Quicken/TurboTAX, Java slowly but surely bled by .Net and probably Adobe eventually bought out. eBay and Linux are probably more or less safe for now but Sun and Oracle already look like walking dead.

And, btw, I'm not your garden variety rabid Microsoft hater but a programmer who used to work for them.
    Last edited by klopus; 09/25/2005 at 12:02 AM.
    Shadowmite...oh guru, tis with great respect I say to thee, is your goodself in cahoots with Palm...as at every opprotunity u brandish such anger towards those souls who search for truth by filing the lawsuit.

Palmone/Palm or whatever they call themselves, might be playing both sides of the fence, but I find that hard to believe, I think this is a first step for MS to take control, in addition DELL can't afford such a gadget as it would bring them into the High Street and they do not want that as they only survived by turning the business into direct buy.

Apple....Jobs will never look at something which is already established as he hates consumer backlash..he's had enough of it in the past. Whilst, microsoft is another matter, they are used to pimping and will have no shame in taking a leading product and bast**dising it anf F***ing it up by trying to emulate the Treo Palm with Treo Windows....

Last but by no means least......why should we let these giant assholes take something we have built, lets be honest Handspring/Palm couldn't have done it without our feedback, let us rise up and repel the corporate giant who has, in nearly every region a lawsuit filed against it. I mean in how many states is microsoft fighting lawsuits...so in that way, Shadowmite, maybe that's why it looks upon the Treo.....

Anyway.....I vote NO to Microsoft.....NO to Apple......Yes to independance.....why the hell do these executives think consolidation is the way to earn bucks....its innovative design and flare which will give you big bucks...not a couple of geeks who stole ideas and make money from them....let us not forget rumour has it Bill did not invent Basic...he bought it...then copied windows from Jobs...who, rumour has it, probably stole that idea from some other garage nerd....
    Last edited by adzo; 09/26/2005 at 04:52 AM.
    KLOPUS - sorry, just saw your post...Hail KLOPUS, for he speakath the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Not a chance of jumping ship. Not going to a lower resolution screen and not giving up on my Palm OS software library of apps. The 700p will get here soon enough.

Cheers, Perry.
    Agree that the downgrade in screen rez is not something I would accept I find it makes a huge difference in both productivity and the fun Treo aspects.
    Are there any ideas when the next version of the OS is coming and what is in the hopper for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by RichNY
    Agree that the downgrade in screen rez is not something I would accept I find it makes a huge difference in both productivity and the fun Treo aspects.
    Are there any ideas when the next version of the OS is coming and what is in the hopper for this?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...982#post810982

Read post #316 in this thread. . . . hope springs eternal. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.

Or go directly there with the link provided by the Munk below. . . . .
    (Nice to have the maid clean up after me . . . . . I keep Bill Gamble and Insertion in business!)
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/26/2005 at 08:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...982#post810982

Read post #316 in this thread. . . . hope springs eternal. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Better yet, just go directly there

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=316
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Are there ANY smartphones or pda's that are sold with competing operating systems?

What kind of headaches, if any, does this cause for harware producers?

I'm trying...really I am....to keep a possitive outlook on the future of the Palm OS for smartphones, but I'm struggling a bit now

I don't think it's going away tommorrow, but........

We'll all know more after today's meeting (I hope).

Really, I'm not an anti-M$ guy at all, I've just grown to love the simplicity of the Palm OS and many of it's applications.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    I doubt they'll announce both Win and Palm-based phones at the same time, especially with Gates in the Room. Another factor is them going with Vzn instead of Sprint... Sprint got the business market with Nextel, Vzn has a good Business market, so the Win treo goes after that segment. My guess is that Vzn and MS have a deal to be the first with new treos.... they will eventually filter down to other carriers perhaps, but Palm versions will have to wait 'til Gates milks the market first, and the Palm versions will soon be upstaged by the latest Win version. And so the cycle goes.

Another reason to not release both P and w versions at the same time is the time to ramp up manufacturing and support, as well as to avoid confusion in people's minds.

The thing is, if Sprint is no longer to be the first with the Win devices, will they also be lower in the pecking order for Palm-based ones? I bet Vzn insisted that they be first on both platforms, thus covering their bases as much as Palm Inc. does.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    The thing is, if Sprint is no longer to be the first with the Win devices, will they also be lower in the pecking order for Palm-based ones? I bet Vzn insisted that they be first on both platforms, thus covering their bases as much as Palm Inc. does.
    As a Sprint user and early adopter, this wouldn't be totally bad news for me considering the growing pains the 650 had. As long as Sprint keeps their data rates low I'll stick with them. Assuming VZW starts getting the first bite at new devices, I won't be tempted to be first in line which would be the case if Sprint rolled first. I'm ready for someone else to troubleshoot these devices. Now if Palm starts releasing stable hardware/software from the start, I'll have to impatiently wait for Sprint to get them. However, I think the complexity of the devices means more rough roads for bleeding-edge types.
    Wake up in the morning, reboot your phone.

While having breakfast, do anti-virus scan.

Life is good again. Occasionally, you can even finish your voice mail before the system froze again, but, you don’t really want to talk to the people from work anyhow.

It’s still dark out. Waking up early so your phone has time to boot up is a good thing. A 50 mile drive doesn’t give your 100Ghz CPU in the phone enough time to boot up, do a scan disk and all that... Besides, you need to get up early to do the same for your I-Drive before your car can start anyway.

After you finish your breakfast and painting the house, the phone is ready to go. It is a good thing. Life is good again.

But, there is danger… you hear some noise. You reach your phone to dial 911.

You see the screen blink a shield saying “New updates available. Do you want to download it first?” You stumble around as you try to avoid being seen by the burglar while you try to touch “NO”. Success as last, the call is going through, the police will come soon, you thought. As you hear the voice from the other end, you yell – “help, help!” A claim voice came through the eat piece. Reassuringly, it said: “Sorry, your phone’s version is not compatible with the number you just dial. Please go to http://phone.somethingsoft.com and download the latest update before you try again.”
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLaw
    Wake up in the morning, reboot your phone.

While having breakfast, do anti-virus scan.

Life is good again. Occasionally, you can even finish your voice mail before the system froze again, but, you don’t really want to talk to the people from work anyhow.

It’s still dark out. Waking up early so your phone has time to boot up is a good thing. A 50 mile drive doesn’t give your 100Ghz CPU in the phone enough time to boot up, do a scan disk and all that... Besides, you need to get up early to do the same for your I-Drive before your car can start anyway.

After you finish your breakfast and painting the house, the phone is ready to go. It is a good thing. Life is good again.

But, there is danger… you hear some noise. You reach your phone to dial 911.

You see the screen blink a shield saying “New updates available. Do you want to download it first?” You stumble around as you try to avoid being seen by the burglar while you try to touch “NO”. Success as last, the call is going through, the police will come soon, you thought. As you hear the voice from the other end, you yell – “help, help!” A claim voice came through the eat piece. Reassuringly, it said: “Sorry, your phone’s version is not compatible with the number you just dial. Please go to http://phone.somethingsoft.com and download the latest update before you try again.”
    How exactly is this different than my 650?
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    The naming convention alone probably suggests a POS version of the 700 in the future. I just don't think it will be with Cobalt in it.
    But the name has not been set yet; he explicitly said that its name was not settled upon. It's been dubbed the 700w by the media and us treo fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    But the name has not been set yet; he explicitly said that its name was not settled upon. It's been dubbed the 700w by the media and us treo fans.
    From the article on the announcement of the "Treo 700w" on the TC homepage:

This announcement does not mean the end of Palm OS; Bush did go on record to say that "Yes, we will have future Treo products on Palm OS".
    Again, another suggestion that there will eventually be a "Treo 700p".
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by adzo
    let us not forget rumour has it Bill did not invent Basic...he bought it...
    True, he didn't invent Basic, but he did a lot of work on it. He licensed MS-DOS though--he didn't write it...
    then copied windows from Jobs...who, rumour has it, probably stole that idea from some other garage nerd....
    Actually, here's what happened: Jobs, Woz, and a couple of others visited Xerox PARC and saw a demo of a window-based OS, and also a mouse. Xerox gave it away; it wasn't stolen at all. Xerox wasn't interested in doing anything with it at the time, since their revenue was in copiers.

When Jobs saw the mouse he realized it was the wave of the future; this is what makes him a visionary. He was able to spot this device and envision the power it would give to the computing experience. He's done the same thing with other devices, including the Newton, a device which was years ahead of the curve (and too large, unfortunately), the iMac, and most recently, the enormously-successful iPod.

Apple and Palm have a lot in common, or at least they used to: they are both hardware companies with their own operating systems. Now Palm doesn't own their OS anymore, so they're in jeopardy of being marginalized and becoming a hardware provider. Jobs has always been smart enough to see that if he were to open the Mac up to other operating systems, the Apple revenue stream would eventually dry out. Palm, if it chooses not to continue with Palm OS, will eventually dwindle away, only to be replaced by other WM-based hardware makers. I'd hate to see that happen.
    The pictures of it on the engadget website had 700w under the battery.
    Damn. Drat and Double Damn again. And here in the UK getting an agnostic phone not tied to bloody Orange will be horribly expensive. I think I will wait !
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    Now Palm doesn't own their OS anymore, so they're in jeopardy of being marginalized and becoming a hardware provider.
    I TOTALLY agree. I fear that Palm will have a VERY difficult time competing in the "hardware universe”. Plain and simple; they've lost their "uniqueness".

I think that consumers are the biggest losers here. If Palm OS fails (which looks very likely) what choices do we have left? Symbian? In order for the market to progress and healthy competition to continue someone needs to continue to innovate. Lord knows we can’t turn to M$ and expect innovation; who’s left?
    I think the real loser is Access. They buy the OS, and then the hardware maker jumps over to Windows! "Here's your $270 million web browser. Now go p!ss off."
    Alright.....one thing's for sure. I'm really quite happy with my 650 today. EVDO isn't even in my area yet, and that's the only thing I can see myself really getting excited enough about to make a 'much earlier than usual' upgrade.

Sure, I got a little uptight about the announcement the other day, but after letting it settle in a bit, (raising up flaming sheild).....it doesn't seem so bad. Whether you love or hate MS, it does have some good things to offer, and third party apps are being created every day.

The number of good mobile devises with ever-increasing functionality is growing almost daily. I can't pretent to know what will be there when I decide to upgrade, but I know it will probably rock the pants off my 650.

**** on my party if you want to, but in the midst of all this....even with the future of my familiar Palm OS uncertain......I feel like I simply can't lose!
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast