Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 145
  1. #101  
    I'm personally tired of my 600 resetting, dropping calls, and generally being a POS. And now my ear speaker deosn't work, i can only hear using the speaker phone. I support users of the 650 at work and the their units are just as unstable. And from the looks of it, they reskinned a 650 and added more memory for the 700. I started with a Treo 300, remember those, and stability was an issue back then as well. Buy a 700, no way. They lost me at 'Hello'. I'm buying a Motorola Moto Q when it drops next year.
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    - Lifedrive hard disk (for all those tunes, videos, photos and the like)

    Why the heck to people keep asking for this crap feature??? Sure, have a cell phone with a hard drive... Enjoy when it goes bad because you dropped the phone 2 feet to the ground! Hard drives are a horrible choice for portable devices. Look at the iPods, there are a couple hundred on eBay used at any given time, and most have hard drive problems which is why they are being sold to get a new one!
    Amen.
    If you want a pocket size PC, get a PocketPC. Even those do not have hard drives.
    There are conflicting desires for the Treo expressed in TC:
    i) pocket size phone/pda device focused towards ease of use and reliability with enough extensibility to perform almost all PDA and some PC functions
    ii) semi-pocket size device focused towards being a portable computing platform with decent phone functionality.
    Personally I've spent (wasted) enough hours of overhead configuring, maintaining and backing up my PC that I don't care for another time-draining gadget. My time isn't free! I'll buy a smartphone that _gains_ time not drains it. I'll take a pda with a hard drive IF it comes with an employee to set up, test and implement a backup strategy (no "x software can be configured to do that..." doesn't fly - that means reseach the sw, buy, install, configure it, then always have the SD card with backup in rather than, say, the wifi SD card; index and keep multiple backups so as not to be standed when the backup writes corrupt data from the HD...). Oh, the employee should have memorized the contents of said HD so I can get my data while I'm waiting for the damn thing to spin up and be read, waiting for it to run a scan after the device crashed, waiting to find power 'cuz it ate the battery, or just waiting to smack myself for being stupid enough to buy it.

    Sheesh, I'm getting PO'd just thinking about it. No HD in my Treo!
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrackBerry
    Oh, the employee should have memorized the contents of said HD so I can get my data while I'm waiting for the damn thing to spin up and be read, waiting for it to run a scan after the device crashed, waiting to find power 'cuz it ate the battery, or just waiting to smack myself for being stupid enough to buy it.

    Sheesh, I'm getting PO'd just thinking about it. No HD in my Treo!
    Funny. I don't see the point of a HD. I'll use a larger SD card and have more flexibility if I need. If they have extra space that would be used for a HD, I'd like to see them leave it out and make the Treo thinner (but don't take away my replaceable battery).
  4. #104  
    Man I could sure use a hard drive. In addition to the usual PIM databases, numerous multi-megabyte emails and the desire to carry a few TVshows/Movies/MP3s around when I travel, my 2 gb card is almost always full. Still, I can imagine the power requirements of a hard drive phone would be significantly higher.
  5. #105  
    SUNNYVALE, Calif., Sep 23, 2005 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Ed Colligan, Palm, Inc. (PALM, Trade) president and chief executive officer; Bill Gates, Microsoft chairman and chief software architect; and Denny Strigl, president and chief executive officer of Verizon Wireless, invite the news media to join them for a press conference on Monday, Sept. 26, at The Palace Hotel in San Francisco beginning at 9 a.m. PDT.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Man I could sure use a hard drive. In addition to the usual PIM databases, numerous multi-megabyte emails and the desire to carry a few TVshows/Movies/MP3s around when I travel, my 2 gb card is almost always full. Still, I can imagine the power requirements of a hard drive phone would be significantly higher.
    Hold out for the 4 gig SD card... then you'll have a mini Lifedrive Treo!



    Timmay

    (or do what the guys on Treonauts do!)
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

    Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

    Twittering about
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    SUNNYVALE, Calif., Sep 23, 2005 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Ed Colligan, Palm, Inc. (PALM, Trade) president and chief executive officer; Bill Gates, Microsoft chairman and chief software architect; and Denny Strigl, president and chief executive officer of Verizon Wireless, invite the news media to join them for a press conference on Monday, Sept. 26, at The Palace Hotel in San Francisco beginning at 9 a.m. PDT.
    Okay - who doubts the Micro$oft jaugernaut now. GATES AND STRIGL at the press conference? They sure didn't chat up the recent HP and Samsung releases like this, now did they.

    Hey - INSERTION - kind of like that opening scene in Gladiator when the barbarians return the headless emmisary - "A people should know when they are conquered."
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  8. #108  
    PalmOS has a better share of the U.S. smartphone market than Apple's share of the PC market. It ain't going away. Just read these boards to get a sense of how loyal Palm users are.

    But Palm doesn't want to follow Apple's example and ride that share down to 4%. It's a smart move. They could double their sales in a year by entering this new market. But they're not going to let go of the PalmOS business. It's too valuable.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    But they're not going to let go of the PalmOS business.
    Hmm....didn't they already let go of the PalmOS business? And now it's for sure they'll never get it back. The only way Palm is relevant to the future is if Access releases Palm Linux in a timely fashion. Otherwise both Palm Hardware and Software will be nothing but mere memories.
  10. #110  
    Um, sorry... I meant "PalmOS-based business," the one that generates over $1 Billion in revenue for them.
  11. #111  
    we all expected it to happen. now doomsday has arrived. i am getting myself a treo 650, and i will hold on to it until the next palm smartphone comes out. i will not even notice the treo 700W. a P instead of the W could make things interesting.

    p.s. i thought about it a bit and i am now understanding this windows involvement with the treo a little clearly: windows treos are supposed to pull more customers to palm. we palm palm users will probably always have palm versions of future treos at our disposal. so i am worrying a little bit less.
    Last edited by jinx; 09/24/2005 at 06:47 AM.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Hmm....didn't they already let go of the PalmOS business? And now it's for sure they'll never get it back.
    Palm os died ,the day Bill gates set his eyes on the Treo. Treo may turn out to be Bill gates's ipod like product. Microsoft will eventually acquire palm.
    So ,stop dreaming about palm based and linux based Treo's.
    A good example is hotmail.
  13. #113  
    Palm IS dead (they just don't know it yet) but my bet's on Dell or another big player picking up the Treo line. Gates would just catch too much grief from other WM smartphone manufacturers if he took the best one in house. I figure Dell because they're still a solid Windoze camp; don't have a smartphone (yet); and can't resist hot consumer products (MP3; plasma TV's, etc.)
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  14. #114  
    It's good for the fact lot other players like Dell will be putting out Treo form factor smartphones, and the consumers will have more options . But Palm sold its soul , maybe, it was good for them, as they cann't standup aganist Microsoft.
    Hopefully we will get better products .
    I will be happy if they can find a fix for those freezes .With wider internet applications , security will always and has remained an issue for microsoft .
  15. #115  
    Come on guys, see this for what it is. Palm wanted the market share of BOTH sides of the fence. Thus they created palmone and palm source. This way they dumped the OS investors from their hardware side, so they could go after this additional market share. The treo is the leading smartphone platform, and they sold it as such.

    The problem is the lawsuit, that's gonna drive the stock down really fast if they don't make it go away. I'd say PPC is a good thing for palm, but the lawsuit is bad.
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    - Lifedrive hard disk (for all those tunes, videos, photos and the like)

    Why the heck to people keep asking for this crap feature??? Sure, have a cell phone with a hard drive... Enjoy when it goes bad because you dropped the phone 2 feet to the ground! Hard drives are a horrible choice for portable devices. Look at the iPods, there are a couple hundred on eBay used at any given time, and most have hard drive problems which is why they are being sold to get a new one!
    Fine, we'll take an integrated solid state 4GB like the Nano -- it'll make for a smaller device anyway. Sure it would cost about $1000+, but let's pretend it won't .
  17. #117  
    I think too many people are bashing the specs here. Sure they may not compete with other WM devices out there (I'm not an expert), but I see a couple of things... I'm not a Verizon customer, but I was pretty sure they generally handicapped BT on purpose. This is a huge step for Verizon and Palm might not have been able to get wifi integrated in the phone.

    The bigger thing is that this is Palm's first step -- getting their feet wet. Once they get more experience, I think we can expect better things. Some things, like the resolution, they might not be able to control. I don't know if there are any 2 inch 480x480 screens out there for them to build into their device, so they are forced to go with a reduced 240x240 resolution due to the OS limitations.
  18. #118  
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
  19. themirage's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #119  
    I know i'm slow, but damn.
    Treo 650 (Sprint)
  20. #120  
    Could this be what Monday's press conference is all about?

    Is Treo's new platform independence strategy (Windows and Palm OS offerings) a good or bad thing?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions