Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    But it's cooler looking!

That rendering was an amateur drawing (about my skill level). No one who gets paid to use Photoshop could have produced that.
    If your Photoshop skill is as good as you think you are, you would know that it was created in Illustrator/Freehand not Photoshop.

Not that I believe in the existance of Treo 700p at this moment.
    Soooo, where are all the people who were so sure this device didn't exist that they called others frauds over it now? I am also curious about Sam and his rantings about this phone not existing then saying it was just a 650 with WM5 on it as late as a few days ago. Seems his sources really hung him out to dry...
    This is just my opinion...

I think the Treo 700w is just in intermediate product for something much better. Palm needed to respond to all the EV-DO devices and will probably release a GSM version with UMTS or (hopefully) HSDPA. I believe the delay with the Treo 700p is due to Palm wanting to use Cobalt or PalmLinux. No explanation for them not to release a 700 w/o PalmOS. They could have just ran WM on the 650, by just upgrading the RAM.

I think we will see a 750/800 in less than a year. Palm's recent conference call leads me to believe that they will throw more money into the Treo. They need to re-analyze their product line and come up with lifestyle solutions rather than what they offer now. The Windows Palm is a good thing. It will give Palm more revenue to throw at future Treos.

I was alittle weary of Palm's future. Using a dual OS strategy breathes some life into them again and offers them more options.
    I hope you are all right that this is a "branch" of the Treo line & not an update to the Palm 650. THAT I can accept. My only questions is does this neew 700w take the place of them ususally releasing an update to the Palm Treos or will we see an update to the Palm version as well in a timely manner. This just doesn't make sense...
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    If your Photoshop skill is as good as you think you are, you would know that it was created in Illustrator/Freehand not Photoshop.

Not that I believe in the existance of Treo 700p at this moment.
    I'm definitely as good as I think I am. I really suck at it, though I've been using Photoshop for several years. I'm even worse at Illustrator. But if I recall correctly, the drawing was a patchwork editing of a Treo 650 image. Very fine detail with the keyboard, but pixelization and uneven shading everywhere else, and parts that didn't even fit together.

Perhaps you're right that it was Illustrator... That would better explain the pixelization... perhaps from stretching bitmaps.

I just took another look at the picture. You're right; the keys are oval and don't match the 650. But I stand by my statement that he's about my skill level.
    I think this is a very good short-term move, but it kills Palm's long-term prospects. Dell and HP will incorporate Palm's usability improvements (Palm's ex-CEO works for HP, and he must have known this was coming). Then they'll beat Palm on hardware and price. In the long run (2-3 yrs+), I think this will hurt Palm.
    skfny:

I don't think it will take 2-3+ years to see this all cave in. Here's what I see in the next two years max:

1. We never see a Cobalt Treo

2. Next Treo is another FrankenGarnet tweak.

3. Just like the BeOS, Linux Treo never leaves the oven

4. 2007 Palm changes its corporate name to Treo, Inc.

4. 2008 - an all M$oft line of Treos (if they're still around and weren't swallowed by Dell or Samsung).

Actually, you may be more right in that it's HP that steals Palm's thunder. They didn't heistate to go to HTC to create the most popular PPC (the original 19xx line of Palm Vx size PPC handhelds)
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    I am glad , i won't be spending 600 bucks for a new phone this year.
    Let us go to handango, to invest in software .
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    skfny:

I don't think it will take 2-3+ years to see this all cave in. Here's what I see in the next two years max:

But its out of Palm's hands. Even without Palmsource/Access, there is a general need in Linux phone OS in Asia/China.

4. 2008 - an all M$oft line of Treos (if they're still around and weren't swallowed by Dell or Samsung).

Actually, you may be more right in that it's HP that steals Palm's thunder. They didn't heistate to go to HTC to create the most popular PPC (the original 19xx line of Palm Vx size PPC handhelds)
    If Palm switch to WM whole-heartedly eventually, then I don't see why I should care about the prosperity of the Palm brand. It's a entire different person with different personality.
    Don't shoot me, but this pleases me.

I like Windows Mobile. Had an Axim and loved it. The only thing missing was phone intigration. The only thing WM lacks is the thousands upon thousand of developers making cool little apps. Still, there's an alternative to just about everything.

Even though I'm sure I won't be able to afford one right off, it will make the 650 cheaper, so I might be able to snag one of those! (still on a 600, but it was FREE).

Anyway, I want to get my hands on one and try it out.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I think this is a very good short-term move, but it kills Palm's long-term prospects. Dell and HP will incorporate Palm's usability improvements (Palm's ex-CEO works for HP, and he must have known this was coming). Then they'll beat Palm on hardware and price. In the long run (2-3 yrs+), I think this will hurt Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    skfny:

HP also needs to work on carrier relationships. That will take a while, but it shouldn't take any longer than palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Price, which is probably the most important factor for most buyers.
    You can get the 6700 after it's all said and done for $620. This is very close to what I paid for my 650 back in November. I would be shocked if Palm and the carriers don't release the 700w at the same price point, rendering a price difference moot.

Besides, if I want to get into WM5 and the price difference is $50 or even $100, I couldn't see going cheap and getting a watered-down 6700 in the 700w.
    I'm back!
    Arggh... like many of you, I want Wifi, PalmOS,BT 2.0 and EVDO.

OTOH, any guesses on when the carriers might drop prices on 650s now that the 700w has been exposed? Unrelated to this development, I just put my 600 on Ebay last night, and might wait a few extra days to save a few bucks on my upcoming 650 purchase.
    The Palm T650s been out for a year now. Time for an upgrade if its to hold its own in a competative marketplace.

No objections to a windows version if it helps keep market share and allows ongoing R&D of the Palm platform. As a long time Mac user I've seen MS actually invest in Apple over the years - I think they benefit from competition and innovation - the same should apply in the PDA market and Palm needs to raise its game in the Palm OS the way Apple have done.

The Palm Treo has the power to out-wow everything else. It needs
    - Stereo Bluetooth 2.0 (for wireless listening heaven)
    - Lifedrive hard disk (for all those tunes, videos, photos and the like)
    - Top phones these days have good cameras
    - Fast connectivity like WiMax (UMTS and EVDO will do for the time being)

OK so you pay a bit more for the deluxe model. It is a great phone, Palm just need to keep it that way!

Why the heck to people keep asking for this crap feature??? Sure, have a cell phone with a hard drive... Enjoy when it goes bad because you dropped the phone 2 feet to the ground! Hard drives are a horrible choice for portable devices. Look at the iPods, there are a couple hundred on eBay used at any given time, and most have hard drive problems which is why they are being sold to get a new one!
    One more shortcoming in the design of the 700w: missing another card slot. I want to be able to use wifi with programs I have stored on my SD card. So the 700 needs either another SD card slot, or at a minimum, an xD slot. And only because wifi is not integrated.

Lousy design, considering how many cities are and will be providing free wifi connectivity citywide.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Shadowmite:

I'd settle for a large SD card - when the prices fall! After all they are solid state so there is less to go wrong. Meanwhile my three sons all have ipods (one of the ipods is 4 years old). They are always dropping them. They all still work and have never caused any problem.

My Treo is in a case and I make damn sure it is never dropped!

I want lots of space on my Treo. Are there other reasons why you don't like HDs? Noise? Power consumption? Weight? Response time?
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyMacaroni
    ...I want lots of space on my Treo. Are there other reasons why you don't like HDs? Noise? Power consumption? Weight? Response time?
    Not to step on Shadow's territory, but:

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes.

Why do you think the iPod Nano is solid state?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    I cannot beleive no WIFI. I hope the next Palm Treo is an actual upgrade. Lame
    My thoughts exactly. No thanks, I'll stick with my 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite

Why the heck to people keep asking for this crap feature??? Sure, have a cell phone with a hard drive... Enjoy when it goes bad because you dropped the phone 2 feet to the ground! Hard drives are a horrible choice for portable devices. Look at the iPods, there are a couple hundred on eBay used at any given time, and most have hard drive problems which is why they are being sold to get a new one!
    Don't forget the battery woes. Apple has had to go through a load of crap to start replacing people's batteries. I'm not trying to dig on the iPod (cause I love mine), but the problem exists with the older ones.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast