Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Personally, I don't see the 700w as an intended "upgrade", so I'm not disappointed. This is a new branch of the Treo line of products, a Windows branch. I expect it to be comparable to the 650 because it is basically the same unit with small improvements and a new OS. I see the 700w as Palm's stepping stone into the Windows Mobile world. I expect we will see some of the larger upgrades come in the next product cycle, and they will happen concurrently with both new PalmOS and Windows Mobile devices released together from here on out.

Just how I'm viewing this. I'm happy with my Treo 650, and I don't blame Palm for not giving me a reason to "upgrade" because this release wasn't intended for me. It was intended for the current PPC/Windows Mobile user, or corporation who needs the Windows Mobile platform.
    Nicely put Ocell. I agree, I see two branches of the Treo going forward: the WM5 branch and the Palm/Linux branch. The competition should be healthy for us.

Cheers, Perry.
    I think this is a completely smart business decision. Treo is probably the most recognizable names for a smartphone, like all tissues are usually called Kleenex. I doubt the 700w ever has the PalmOne name on the outside of it (to confusing for those not wanting a palm). This way they can get both segments of the business. Those looking for WM who want nothing to do with a palm, and those of us who love palm will upgrade to the next Treo with the palm operating system.
    Anyone notice the GPS icon in the second photo? Built-in GPS? Could it be?
    Anyone notice the horizontal screen orientation? Interesting concept on a square screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Anyone notice the horizontal screen orientation? Interesting concept on a square screen.
    Thats been part of WM since 2003SE

Although, I didn't know it supported Landscape at 240x240 or 480x480. This must be new to WM5
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    If it's not a palm device, I'm not interested.
    I know a lot of windows moble users who will be very happy though.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    I am glad , i won't be spending 600 bucks for a new phone this year.
    Let us go to handango, to invest in software .
  9. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Why not just add EVDO, WiFi and some flash memory to the present 650. I think that would make a whole lot more sense.

I don't see the logic for this move. If this site is any indication I don't see Palm users lining up for a WM based Treo and I seriously doubt this thing can compete against the i730 and 6700. 240x240, no Wifi, 64 mg of memory - come on Palm. Good one-handed operation or not this ain't getting it done.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Is anything out right now using 480x480? Also, how would an app behave on squared screen wm device if it is not "square aware"?
    Just for laughts, I did a google search for "treo 700w", and came up with a chinese site (I think it is Chinese) that mentioned it in some posting in February 2005:

http://www.tompda.com./bbs/display.a...orumID=1854684

It was in a thread with the english text "MSMobiles.com is reporting that rumors are flying at the wireless conference in Cannes, France that palmOne is going to announce a licensing agreement for the Windows operating system for future Treo smartphones."

Interesting....
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    Why not just add EVDO, WiFi and some flash memory to the present 650. I think that would make a whole lot more sense.

I don't see the logic for this move. If this site is any indication I don't see Palm users lining up for a WM based Treo and I seriously doubt this thing can compete against the i730 and 6700. 240x240, no Wifi, 64 mg of memory - come on Palm. Good one-handed operation or not this ain't getting it done.
    I'm sure you'll get the EVDO and extra memory for the 700p version.

And this site is not an indication. The 700w is not targeted at Palm users. The logic behind the move is that there are many companies (and individuals) that would more readily buy a Windows device than a Palm device. The Windows Mobile smartphone market is already larger and faster growing than the PalmOS smartphone market. Palm wants in on that action. Given a choice between selling a million PalmOS Treos OR selling a million PalmOS Treos plus a million Windows Treos, which would you choose?

But I do agree with you about the specs. I'm most worried for Palm about Moto's Q (aka RAZRberry). The Q is thinner, more beautiful, and has a 320x240 screen (but no EVDO).

I think there'll be many products announced next week. Sure some of them might be Tungstens or LifeDrives, but I wonder if maybe we'll be seeing more than two new Treo versions... Management said today that the smartphone segment is the future. They cited some survey that said some huge percentage of cellphone users would buy a smartphone in the next year. Palm wants to dominate that segment, but it can't do that with one price point for the Windows market.

And "Analyst Day" on Monday is scheduled for FOUR hours. I don't know what they could talk about for that long, unless they want to demo many products...
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    But I do agree with you about the specs. I'm most worried for Palm about Moto's Q (aka RAZRberry). The Q is thinner, more beautiful, and has a 320x240 screen (but no EVDO).
    I understand the Q doesn't have a touch screen...if this is, in fact, true, how can it possibly compete with the Palm Treo? I do like stylus-free operation, but there are many occasions when I find "fat-fingering" the screen or using the stylus very useful.

If the Q lacks a touchscreen, it's 100% out of the running for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Yeah, I don't really see much of an argument now between the 700w and 6700 camps. The 700w is an incremental upgrade in some areas (BT 1.2, EVDO), and an incremental downgrade in others (240x240 res, still no built-in Wifi, is 64MB enough memory for WM 5?) over it's predecessor.

Unless you're obsessed with the form factor, I don't see how you would choose the 700w over the 6700.
    Price, which is probably the most important factor for most buyers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Thats been part of WM since 2003SE

Although, I didn't know it supported Landscape at 240x240 or 480x480. This must be new to WM5
    What resolution would it have been at then?

I agree with others that this is just a new direction for a new line of Treos. I really hope we see the Treo "700" that was in the rendering posted a couple of months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    What resolution would it have been at then?
    Not sure I understand the question.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    If the Q lacks a touchscreen, it's 100% out of the running for me.
    But it's cooler looking!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    I really hope we see the Treo "700" that was in the rendering posted a couple of months ago.
    That rendering was an amateur drawing (about my skill level). No one who gets paid to use Photoshop could have produced that.

I remember one more thing from today's call. DataViz will be announcing on Tuesday that DocsToGo will be able to read native pdf files.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    I remember one more thing from today's call. DataViz will be announcing on Tuesday that DocsToGo will be able to read native pdf files.
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/681-1.htm
    From Wednesday morning. I missed that!
    And the CEO talked like he was disclosing confidential information...
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc
    Just for laughts, I did a google search for "treo 700w", and came up with a chinese site (I think it is Chinese) that mentioned it in some posting in February 2005:

http://www.tompda.com./bbs/display.a...orumID=1854684

It was in a thread with the english text "MSMobiles.com is reporting that rumors are flying at the wireless conference in Cannes, France that palmOne is going to announce a licensing agreement for the Windows operating system for future Treo smartphones."

Interesting....

Tompda is a very big Chinese PDA site. The poster just speculated that it stood to reason to release a wm model. For example, he said, Palmone can make a Treo 700w and a 700p model.

In turns out he is a freaking genius,
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast