Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Well "if" I go to WM5 this helped me make up my mind. I'll go with the 6700
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    If Palm could bring the usability features of the Treo to WM it would be an unstoppable combo.

What makes the TREO so great is the fact that you do not need the Stylus but it is stii very intuitive. The OS itself has not been inovative for years. All the innovation in software has been done by PalmOne not Palm Source.
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    They might have a 700w UMTS. Hopefully by then they would up the ram to 128mb.
    This was the same point GSM users brought up when only CDMA 650's were released, that they were holding back for a 64MB 650. Never happened, and I seriously doubt Palm will up the memory in a GSM model this time around.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    Well "if" I go to WM5 this helped me make up my mind. I'll go with the 6700
    Yeah, I don't really see much of an argument now between the 700w and 6700 camps. The 700w is an incremental upgrade in some areas (BT 1.2, EVDO), and an incremental downgrade in others (240x240 res, still no built-in Wifi, is 64MB enough memory for WM 5?) over it's predecessor.

Unless you're obsessed with the form factor, I don't see how you would choose the 700w over the 6700.
    I'm back!
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    Yeah the problem is all new Treos now are a generation behind most regular cell phones! This new LG keyboard phone even has a better camera. Palm is no longer an innovator. Handspring was. Remember the huge change from the Treo 300 to 600? THAT was because of Handspring's innovative minds. And the 600 to 650 to 700w now? THAT change is by PALM & is miniscule. I think back & I cannot beleive I upgraded from the Treo 600 to 650! Well I guess I was still excited about the Treo line but that excitement has died down. Palm get with it. I mean look at Crackberry & there innovations are more regular & user concentrated even! Palm has a corporate mindset which will lose in the smartphone market if they don't keep up. The competition is already brewing. Looks like the Palm Treo is not the only player in the "perfect" smartphone game...
    I think they can still survive with miniscule upgrades. They just need to execute a lot faster. If this phone was owned by samsung or nokia, we probably be expecting evolution 8.
    Wonder how the one-handed operation will be? I have used WM in the past, and you have to pull the stylus out ALL THE TIME. Maybe 5.0 improves this, but I still think Palm is the best around for simple, one handed stylus-free operation.

Palm fanboy here. I will never go to the darkside.
    I think they can still survive with miniscule upgrades. They just need to execute a lot faster. If this phone was owned by samsung or nokia, we probably be expecting evolution 8.
    Not counting the OS, the 600->650 upgrade was alot bigger step than this 650->700w upgrade.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    This was the same point GSM users brought up when only CDMA 650's were released, that they were holding back for a 64MB 650. Never happened, and I seriously doubt Palm will up the memory in a GSM model this time around.
    You're right. That was just wishful thinking.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Not counting the OS, the 600->650 upgrade was alot bigger step than this 650->700w upgrade.
    Not disagreeing with you there. They could've just slap a wm5 rom onto a 650 and probably get to market in time for the holidays.
    If resolution is not at least the same as the 650, I will go nowhere!!
    At first blush, I don't see enough of a change for me to make a further investment just yet.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Not disagreeing with you there. They could've just slap a wm5 rom onto a 650 and probably get to market in time for the holidays.
    I agree, I don't know what Palm is thinking or doing. They look like they are releasing the 700w as a half hearted effort just to get their critics and shareholders off their backs. If I were a shareholder, I would probably dump the stock based on the specs of the 700w. More and more companies are coming out with, if not innovative at least competative phones and Palm is just falling back into the middle of the pack. If Palm can't differentiate and innovate from their competition, then they are dead.
    Excuse me while I puke. From my original wish list:

-EV-DO w/o a significant price increase
    -Wi-Fi built-in
    -Hi-res+
    -Cobalt

They got one (maybe not even that if Sprint raises the price for EV-DO). A multi-tasking OS is great, but not at the expense of screen size. If the 700p has Cobalt, I'm in. If not, I'll stay with the 650.

Hey, maybe this half-hearted upgrade is a sign that there WILL be a new Treo in the spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Excuse me while I puke. From my original wish list:

-EV-DO w/o a significant price increase
    -Wi-Fi built-in
    -Hi-res+
    -Cobalt

They got one (maybe not even that if Sprint raises the price for EV-DO). A multi-tasking OS is great, but not at the expense of screen size. If the 700p has Cobalt, I'm in. If not, I'll stay with the 650.

Hey, maybe this half-hearted upgrade is a sign that there WILL be a new Treo in the spring.
    The naming convention alone probably suggests a POS version of the 700 in the future. I just don't think it will be with Cobalt in it.
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    How the heck is it Verizon branded? They just came out with the 650, it needs to come out on Sprint first (for my personal benefit of course).
    I think it's probably more a matter of getting Engadget getting the VZW prerelease rather than the Sprint prerelease. It is certainly possible VZW will get it out first but I doubt it.

Just because VZW releases the Treo long after Sprint doesn't mean they don't have it internally at the same time or before.
    Here's something I haven't seen posted before. Is it possible to hot sync the Palm to a WM system or would all the info (contacts, calendar, etc.) have to be manually entered again?

I think the biggest drawback on the 700 would be the wifi card and not internal wifi.
    The treo 650's screen looks brighter than the 700w:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000867059961/
    Quote Originally Posted by tcc
    The treo 650's screen looks brighter than the 700w:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000867059961/
    It does look that way but the picture is taken from an angle. It might be something that you have to see first hand.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by RickMG
    Here's something I haven't seen posted before. Is it possible to hot sync the Palm to a WM system or would all the info (contacts, calendar, etc.) have to be manually entered again?
    You just need to sync the Palm to Outlook. The install disk that came with my Treo 650 gives a choice of syncing to Outlook or Palm Desktop. If you have that, you just need to reinstall and choose Outlook.

After the data is in Outlook, you sync it to the Windows device.
    Move aside POS users - all your base are belong to WM 5.0!

Just kidding. This is quite a development for Palm. It will be interesting to see how well this phone will catch on: A beloved form factor with a beloved OS removed and replaced by what many on this board feels is the spawn of satan.
    A couple things from today's conference call:
    First, they gave earnings guidance for this quarter, but that guidance did not include revenue from any new products. That seems to imply that new products will not launch until next quarter (Dec-Feb).

Second, they mentioned that they're investing heavily in r&d and that they see product life cycles of about 12 to 18 months. (I was expecting to hear "2 years.") They also said that they view the Treo as their source of growth (along with international markets). So expect many new Treos in the future...

Third, an analyst mentioned that he just heard that Palm is using a new manufacturing partner. Palm gave a non-denial saying that every time they launch a new product is a chance for them to evaluate their partnerships. Not sure what that means for HTC's role with the 700w or other new products.

And fourth, to my surprise, no one asked specifically about the Treo 700w, though one analyst mentioned he was steering clear of asking about Palm's product roadmap, as if that was the basic groundrule for the conference call. Palm had mentioned at the beginning that they'd be discussing the product roadmap on Monday.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast