Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I would probably buy it if the resolution was better. For me I will probably wait on a 320x320 resolution model that follows this one.
    That resolution is not supported by WM 5.0. the next one would have to be either 240 x 240 or 480 x 480

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by overcast10
    So what version of the Palm OS will the 700p be? Is anyone thinking of jumping ship. I would love the Windows Media Player to stream live feeds.
    Not a chance of jumping ship. Not going to a lower resolution screen and not giving up on my Palm OS software library of apps. The 700p will get here soon enough.

Cheers, Perry.
    I cannot beleive no WIFI. I hope the next Palm Treo is an actual upgrade. Lame
    Microsoft seems to confirm the pending release of the 700w. I copied this from the September issue of Windows Mobile news:

Developers, Are Your Apps Square Aware?
    The next exciting class of Windows Mobile-based devices is just around the corner! Over the coming months, you will see new Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition and Windows Mobile 5.0 based Pocket PC devices supporting Square Screens (240x240 pixels or 480x480 pixels). Now is the time to make your application square aware!

I'm a big fan of my 650, but mostly from a form factor perspective. I've never understood Palm OS people's love affair with the "library of apps". I can't think of anything a palm can do that a WM machine can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNov
    I've never understood Palm OS people's love affair with the "library of apps". I can't think of anything a palm can do that a WM machine can't.
    Money.

Do I get a $400 dollar credit to replace my apps, accumulated over 10 years?

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 09/22/2005 at 01:51 PM.
    The resolution alone would make me keep my 650. And I don't need wifi at all, since I have a wireless connection anyhow. A better camera would be nice, but not necessary in a phone. The only thing I use bluetooth for is to hotsync, and it works fine for that. And I have 18 MB memory free, so memory is not an issue.

No reason for me to upgrade.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    i thought all i wanted was a new os, a better camera and evdo but now that its here i'm not that excited about it. im pretty sure im getting the 6700 instead.
    this is not exactly an upgrade. VERY disappointing. Palm better start innovating if they want to keep up.
    Yeah, I'm pretty much underwhelmed. I'm curious to see if there is anything remarkable about the device. The only benefit seems to be EvDO. That would be nice to have. Especially if they don't cripple the bluetooth DUN.

I'm not a huge fan of Windows Mobile OS, I think you lose too much functionality. But I'm also not an MS-hater. They have multi-tasking and that would be very nice to have; but beyond that, the OS seems to be a let-down. It requires too much in the way of resources to do the same thing that the Palm OS already does. Heck, I can open, edit and resend a MS Office document using the Palm OS. I can't do that with MS. I can watch TV using MobiTV on my Palm OS, I can't do that that with MS. I can listen to Yahoo! Unlimited WMAs as part of my subscription on my Palm OS, but I can't do that with "most" MS mobile devices, inclusing the i730.

I have always said that I don't care about WiFi. Having EvDO is better. I would have been impressed if they had a built-in GPS or if they had PTT on the device. The extra memory is nice, though I think that has far more to do with the needs of Windows Mobile software than anything else.

I'm still looking forward to the Palm OS version of the device. But that's just me.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I think 64mb is kind of inadequate for a windows mobile, since wm apps takes up more space.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    This may not be kosher on the board, but I just have to say it...

sonovua*****.

Yeah, the library of apps problem sucks, the small screen sucks, the lack of Wi-Fi, GPS, etc.

But I really don't like Windows. Sorry, I know there are Microsoft Astroturfers out there who are now screaming "Boo-YAH!" to people like me as they watch Palm die, thinking that their favorite operating system is dead, but please...

The crap I've seen with MS' desktop version just makes me cringe, and I honestly fear that's where WM will go.

I don't want my Treo calling home to make sure that I'm using a legal copy of everything before I get to use it.

I don't want a bloated OS based on the prettiness and shininess to require a faster and hotter processor just to give me the Windows FP feel (Fisher-Price).

I don't want to be locked into certain ways of doing things because MS doesn't want me to circumvent their products, and I want to be able to choose the products I'm using. This is the reason why I got a Treo in the first place.

I want simplicity, security, expandability, and customizability. Things that Palm has allowed for, but Microsoft has traditionally failed at.

Not that I'm all that happy with some of the things Palm has done, of course, and I'm not a Palm apologist. They've made some serious mistakes that have caused me a lot of problems, but I'm obviously more accepting of them than I am MS. And of course, MS has had some success as well, and none of my propheteering is actually a guarantee of the future, but still, as a consumer, a company's track record usually will help me determine if I'm going to be able to trust that company. After all, how many of us look upon Seidio with a smile and a full platter of trust? After so many times of getting burned, you start to look down other avenues to find what you want/need.

I don't mean to whine, but still, with the other issues mentioned before in the 700w, I'd have no good reason to buy one. I might as well just go with a different WM5 PDA/Smartphone and be done with it. But as it stands, I'm going to look into some Linux-based smartphones, and probably keep my T650 a little longer than I thought.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC
    Heck, I can open, edit and resend a MS Office document using the Palm OS. I can't do that with MS. I can watch TV using MobiTV on my Palm OS, I can't do that that with MS. I can listen to Yahoo! Unlimited WMAs as part of my subscription on my Palm OS, but I can't do that with "most" MS mobile devices, inclusing the i730.
    you can do all 3 with MS WM5
    You can open a native MS Word document in MS WM5, edit it and resend it as a MS Word document? That's news to me. MS Mobile devices have always used the Pocket Word format AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $As$ $for$ $MobiTV$, $I$ $don$'$t$ $recall$ $seeing$ $anything$ $on$ $their$ $website$ $that$ $indicates$ $that$ $it$ $works$ $on$ $a$ $MS$ $device$. $Maybe$ $there$'$s$ $another$ $app$ $that$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $aware$ $of$.

As for Yahoo! Unlimited I know for a fact that it doesn't work on all existing MS WM devices. Hopefully WM5 will change that.
    I wonder how much the 650 will drop in price?
    Guys, let's look at it from this point of view. Now that Palm is covering all bases (PalmOS and WIN OS) Palm gets more money from WIN morons and develop better Palm OS Treos. I think this is a really good strategy.

Al
    i don't have any problem with them putting out a WM5 device, just disappointed in the lack of new features.
    I wonder if the resolution simply a software thing, that could be handled with a WM upgrade?
    Will they have a 700w CDMA and 700w GSM?

EVDO doesn't do GSM users any good
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    They might have a 700w UMTS. Hopefully by then they would up the ram to 128mb.
    Yeah the problem is all new Treos now are a generation behind most regular cell phones! This new LG keyboard phone even has a better camera. Palm is no longer an innovator. Handspring was. Remember the huge change from the Treo 300 to 600? THAT was because of Handspring's innovative minds. And the 600 to 650 to 700w now? THAT change is by PALM & is miniscule. I think back & I cannot beleive I upgraded from the Treo 600 to 650! Well I guess I was still excited about the Treo line but that excitement has died down. Palm get with it. I mean look at Crackberry & there innovations are more regular & user concentrated even! Palm has a corporate mindset which will lose in the smartphone market if they don't keep up. The competition is already brewing. Looks like the Palm Treo is not the only player in the "perfect" smartphone game...
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast