Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since most of us always use the Treo and we pride on a lot of it's features and PALM OS. Now that we are just looking at the device and the software seperately. Honestly one of the best things I love about the 650 is the PALM OS and all the software I can get for it. The Palm OS is one of the strongest points the Treo actually has, so are we suppost to hate the Treo 700w and hope a Treo 700P comes out soon?
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
    Well... IMHO palm os 5 is not the strongest point about the 650. Instead its form factor is. If the 700p is released running any variation of Garnet, I don't think there would be any convincing reason for 650 users to upgrade to 700p. If it runs Cobalt or the not-yet -released linux palm, that would be a different story.
    The only "hate" I have for the 700w is that I think it spells the ultimate doom of the POS line of Treos. Just my 2 cents.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    I wouldn't say I hate it at all. I am disappointed and will be even more disappointed if PalmOS goes away. I have invested in software over the years and the learning curve will start all over again if I have to switch. However, if the device handles some issues of the 650 (poor volume, wifi incoompatibility, headset jack failure issues, better email solutions) then I can't really hate it. Pocet PC and WinMobile users will love it. All in all a good move for the SEPERATE Palm hardware company.

One thing is for sure though, this does not bode well for Palm OS (palmsource) and that I do hate as I have invested time and money into using it. Eventually, even if I could stick with palm os forever, I am sure I would have to upgrade this software down the line anyway. If the new hardware is good, I can't hate it, regardless of OS
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    The only "hate" I have for the 700w is that I think it spells the ultimate doom of the POS line of Treos. Just my 2 cents.

Why do you assume this?

Palm has already stated they are committed to their PalmOS lisence until 2009 and beyond. Furthermore, many rumors indicate that there will also be a "Treo 700p" or PalmOS version to go along with the 'W' version. In short, I think the hysteria about the death of palmos Treos is greatly overstated...

What is more interesting though imo is the comparative future sales of the Treo 700w vs the 700p. I wonder which one will be more popular?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I believe you all will be shocked at the multiples of W vs P Treos over the next year. The corporate world could care less about the apps we all want and I (and I may be the only one in here admittedly) believe Palm and the phone carriers are more interested in profits (that is what they are in business for) then anything else. Why worry about satisfying all the people here when they can sell one Fortune 100 corp hundreds of Treos at a time? The majority of us buy the Treo for the form factor not the interface. Myself, I want stability in the device more then anything else.

I believe Dstrauss is correct in his assumption of Palm eventually abandoning the Palm OS in favor of the Windows Mobile and Linux OS's. I contend the guarantee of millions of dollars ofpurchaseby Palm of OS from PalmSource was just a divorce settlement and does not mean they actually have to use all of that OS they just have to pay for it. It is in essence a guarantee of its availability to them as needed for the next 4 years.
    It's just a matter of preference. It's like beer. I just don't get used to the "WM" beer. Make your own choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    It's just a matter of preference. It's like beer. I just don't get used to the "WM" beer. Make your own choice.
    or menthol and non menthol cigarettes....
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Why do you assume this?

Palm has already stated they are committed to their PalmOS lisence until 2009 and beyond. Furthermore, many rumors indicate that there will also be a "Treo 700p" or PalmOS version to go along with the 'W' version. In short, I think the hysteria about the death of palmos Treos is greatly overstated...

What is more interesting though imo is the comparative future sales of the Treo 700w vs the 700p. I wonder which one will be more popular?
    Here's the real problem. Palm doesn't get a vote. In the US, the wireless carriers decide which phones they will allow on their networks (especially with CDMA) and if they don't vote you on, you don't exist.

Now take Verizon. A few years ago, they had two PalmOS phones, the Kyocera 7135 and the Treo 600. Then they dropped the Kyo. They then dropped the 600 and replaced it with the 650 (but only the camera 650, not the non-camera version). The only camera/non-camera smartphone they have is a PPC. Now they're signing on for the Treo with windows. I personally only give the 650 another 6 months for Verizon and then they will carry no PalmOS phones at all.

Verizon's customer base is businesses, especally large ones with Exchange servers, etc. These customers (IT departments) want PPC. It integrates well with their other systems, and with the latest version of Exchange server, they can have push email as well.

Palm is free to make whatever devices they chose, and I'm sure they will continue with PalmSource for their PDA market, but when it comes to Smartphones, I really see the end of PalmOS on them.

Please let time prove me wrong!!

Dana
    Quote Originally Posted by danachee
    Here's the real problem. Palm doesn't get a vote. In the US, the wireless carriers decide which phones they will allow on their networks (especially with CDMA) and if they don't vote you on, you don't exist.

Dana
    You make a strong argument... and a correct one... verizon will decide which to carry. My guess is for non-tech users the treo with wm will be an easier sale (no, I don't have any facts to back up this statement... just an openion). Then again, it seems that palm is in talks with verizon and others to might have a voice to request that they carry both models... but then, I doubt if verizon would carry 4 treos: p, w, p with camera, and w with camera.
    <moved>
    I would guess that most people have used some flavor of Windows along the way so I don't see there being that much of a learning curve with WM. One of the things I would like is getting the mobile version of Windows Media. I like Palm ok, but I could go either way. Linux on the other hand would be an easy win. I wonder if the Nokia 770 will feed into a phone line - that would be something to get excited about.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case

This is exactly what I'm wondering.....
    I'm dedicated to the Palm OS but I know there a lot of closet WM people out there.

All you flip-floppin, treo usin,secret closet WM fans are some turncoats.We should be boycotting the 700w.

Sweet Chi-Town Music!

300 > 600 > 650

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

TREO 650

Alternate Phone- Motorola Razr V3 (silver)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hu$tle
    This is exactly what I'm wondering.....
    I'm dedicated to the Palm OS but I know there a lot of closet WM people out there.

All you flip-floppin, treo usin,secret closet WM fans are some turncoats.We should be boycotting the 700w.
    I hate to say it, but they've got us outnumbered and surrounded. This is beginning to feel like Custer's Last Stand.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I see! Bill Gates and his damn covert brainwashing antics.

I will fight until there is no more fight left in me.

or we can just radio in for air support. Oops!! damn flashbacks........

Hey 700w!! I'll see you on the otha side!!!!

I'm always going to be a PALM OS loyalist.

Sweet Chi-Town Music!

300 > 600 > 650

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

TREO 650

I see! Bill Gates and his damn covert brainwashing antics.

I will fight until there is no more fight left in me.

or we can just radio in for air support. Oops!! damn flashbacks........

Hey 700w!! I'll see you on the otha side!!!!

I'm always going to be a PALM OS loyalist.
    But if you don't want one, don't buy one. Why the histrionics? It's not like anyone is confiscating your 650 and replacing it with the 700w.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Many of us went to the Treo because of a history with the Palm OS, but now there are an increasing number of MS handheld users out there as well who will be migrating to smartphones and will find the Treo more appealing.

Sorry to repeat my scenario, but here goes :

Today - my VZW store sells 4 Palm OS Treos per day

This next summer- my VZW store sells 10 Treos per day, but only 1 or 2 are Palm OS version.

The MS version will appear to be much more user-friendly and home/work pc-compatible that the Palm OS version.

Palm OS Treos have done so well for two primary reasons (IMHO):

-many people loved the form factor too much to care about the OS, so they took what was offered

-many people had a history of Palm OS use

Now that the MS platform has gained so much popularity and Treo will be offered in MS version, where will that lead Palm OS Treos?
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    But if you don't want one, don't buy one. Why the histrionics? It's not like anyone is confiscating your 650 and replacing it with the 700w.
    Histrionics???? I'm a recent college grad but 3 1/2 out of 4 1/2 of those years are drunken lost memories. Simple words please.....

Can't a brotha jus vent? If not here then where?

Sweet Chi-Town Music!

300 > 600 > 650

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

TREO 650

Can't a brotha jus vent? If not here then where?
    Vent on!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Vent on!!

Thanks!

Goddamn Treo 700w can !*&%^*#@(!(@%*$&#(!(#%#(!!!!!!!!

Sweet Chi-Town Music!

300 > 600 > 650

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

TREO 650

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast