1.    #1  
    I cannot seem to find the answer....

Anyone know?
    First, let's clarify terminology.

Mode: the transmission method (digital or analog).

Band: the frequency of the transmission.

The current Treo is a single-mode device. It only operates in digital. It cannot do analog at all. That doesn't mean that it can't roam. It just means that the only roaming it can do is on digital networks. (Example, Sprint roaming on Verizon's digital towers).

The CDMA version (Sprint and Verizon) is a dual-band device. It operates at two frequencies: 1900MHz and 800Mhz. The GSM version (Cingular, Orange, etc.) is a quad-band device. It operates at four frequencies: 850, 900, 1800, and 1900 MHz.

I don't know for sure, but I highly doubt that the 700w has analog support. None of the Treos (and very few new phones have it because it's old technology that the carriers are trying to phase out), so it stands to reason that it is single-mode (just like the current Treo).

The Verizon-branded version we've seen would have to run at the CDMA-supported frequencies, so it's got to be dual-band. If there is a GSM version (which we haven't seen), then we can only hope that Palm didn't go backward in technology (by only supporting three bands for GSM). Most likely, the GSM version will be quad-band, like the existing GSM version of the Treo 650.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Good to see you again Gadget --

To be a true world phone, don't you have to have all four bands? Seems I read somewhere about Cingular problems using one of those i-Jam phones because it doesn't support both of the lower two bands.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Good to see you again Gadget --

To be a true world phone, don't you have to have all four bands? Seems I read somewhere about Cingular problems using one of those i-Jam phones because it doesn't support both of the lower two bands.
    To be a "true" world phone, it would have to support all bands of signal and GSM, CDMA, TDMA, and AMPS service (I don't think any areas have iDEN service exclusively). I hate how the GSM consortium has falsely labeled their phones "world" phones.

Anyhow, I agree with the above posters that the CDMA version will not have analog coverage, strictly CDMA 800 and 1900.

I would assume the GSM version would be quad-band as well.
    Last edited by MisterFuhrman; 09/24/2005 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Forgot good ol' TDMA in my rant
    <moved>
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    So does this mean if you have a Sprint 650 treo you only can be on the Sprint and verison network, since they are the only CDMA cell companies? So since I have unlimited roaming with sprint it is really only good in Verizon Areas. So in reality my Phone coverage area is quite limited, is this correct?, that I can not roam on any of the GSM digital carries with a Treo 650? or new 700w?
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827
    So does this mean if you have a Sprint 650 treo you only can be on the Sprint and verison network, since they are the only CDMA cell companies? So since I have unlimited roaming with sprint it is really only good in Verizon Areas. So in reality my Phone coverage area is quite limited, is this correct?, that I can not roam on any of the GSM digital carries with a Treo 650? or new 700w?
    That is correct. CDMA and GSM are two different technologies - different radios to be exact.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Verizon isn't the only other CDMA provider. Sprint's roaming covers 96% of the US for Dual mode phones. Our Treos are only single mode. Alltel is also a roaming partner to Sprint and has excellent coverage in more Rural areas and some is digital.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Almost all phones are single mode now, the FCC has given a mandate to terminate all analog cell towers within a few years (keeps getting pushed like HDTV).
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    So the question is what is the real roaming benifit I have on sprint with my Treo? Do I still get the 96% coverage since my treo is only dual band?
    Announcement only said CDMA. I was interested until I read that 'gem'. I'll hold on to my TREO 600 / GSM phone that can be used around the world and not just N. America. No reason to go backward!
    GSM:

Cingular/AT&T
    T-Mobile

CDMA:
    Sprint
    Verizon
    [Alltel]
    [Virgin Mobile]
    [Cricket]
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice