View Poll Results: Is there a chance you'll buy the Treo 700w?

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

93 33.10%
  • No

188 66.90%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Maybe... my Sprint contract is up early next year and the wife and I have Treo 600's. We will evaluate what is available or soon to be available at that time and compare plans before making any decision.
    No, I wouldn't want WM.

I'm traveling to Europe a bit now, and I'm frustrated that my Sprint phone can't be made to work there. Just imagine if land lines had developed as proprietary systems 100 years ago. This situation is just inexcusable!

I've used Palm software on and off for many years, and I'm back on again with my T650. I'm just disappointed with it's limitations.

For example, I may need to call a person at a certain company, but I can't remember their name. On the desktop, I could search for the company name and then recognize the person. Not with my Treo!!! I consider this to be a basic functionality.

Palm software is database software, pure and simple. If you can't fully search the database, it's primitive software.

Am I missing something?
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by macjeff
    I'm traveling to Europe a bit now, and I'm frustrated that my Sprint phone can't be made to work there. Just imagine if land lines had developed as proprietary systems 100 years ago. This situation is just inexcusable!
    Might I suggest you try an unlocked GSM T650.

For example, I may need to call a person at a certain company, but I can't remember their name. On the desktop, I could search for the company name and then recognize the person. Not with my Treo!!! I consider this to be a basic functionality.

Palm software is database software, pure and simple. If you can't fully search the database, it's primitive software.
    Might I suggest you try the FIND feature that is built into every T650.

Am I missing something?
    Yes, you forgot to read the manual and research before selecting a T650 that would work outside of the USA.
    No, I wouldn't want WM.

I've used Palm software on and off for many years, and I'm back on again with my T650. I'm just disappointed with it's limitations.

Am I missing something?
    What's wrong with Find?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    There's actually a nifty utility for windows mobile which allows you to search your companies Global Address List remotely.

Microsoft has released a free tool that gives Windows Mobile Pocket PC and Smartphone users access to their Exchange Server Global Address List (GAL).

With Microsoft Global Contact Access, users can utilise Pocket Outlook on a Windows Mobile-based Smartphone or Pocket PC Phone Edition to look up contacts in the Global Address List (GAL) on your corporate Exchange server.

With Global Contact Access, it is possible to search Exchange Server 2003 Global Address Lists (GAL), schedule meetings with multiple recipients and include resources such as conference rooms, and view the Free/Busy schedules of meeting attendees.
    Surur
    ...For example, I may need to call a person at a certain company, but I can't remember their name. On the desktop, I could search for the company name and then recognize the person. Not with my Treo!!! I consider this to be a basic functionality.

Am I missing something?
    Yes you are. Have you never tried to do a "find..." before? It's Alt-Shift (left of the space bar--see the little manifying glass?).

I "find" that it "finds" contacts based on whatever I type--including a partial company name (address works too, you know, street or city name, etc...).

Maybe that'll hold you until the Windows on Treo device comes out...
  7.    #67  
    I lost my socks this morning and my Treo 650 did not help me find them! What a primitive device. It can't even find my socks!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I lost my socks this morning and my Treo 650 did not help me find them! What a primitive device. It can't even find my socks!!!!
    Where are my bullets and shoes??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    You obviously failed to activate the 30-day trial of the builtin "smell-o-meter"! (v2.3)

Works great (or so they tell me)!
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    Honestly, can they really get $600 for this thing? I am sure they are going to try but at the $600 price point for wm5 devices this thing gets smoked...

_rob
    Actually, the Palm suit said it would be slightly MORE expensive than the current $600.
    But isn't it innovation by definition when Palm wants to expand their device to a different OS regardless of the company behind it? I'm sure the developers at Palm spent many hours getting the Treo to work with Windows Mobile. So I must say the Treo 700w certainly is innovation.[/I]
    No, I don't think this is "innovation" at all. This is merely Palm's way of getting their feet in the corporate door. What innovation are we seeing here?? The ability to click on a photo and dial their number? WOW, that's really innovative... sorry, couldn't resist the huge sarcasm...

Here are the innovations that the Windoze Treo is going to introduce:

- endless virus attacks
    - endless bug fixes
    - money into M$'s already bloated pockets
    - very few new "innovations" that haven't already been thought of by either Palm or their loyal thousands of developers (who are getting royally dumped on by this move)
    - control over our user experience given over to M$--I shudder at the thought
    - force-feeding M$ Office to those of us who don't want to use it
    - impending abandonment of Mac users who have a tough time trying to sync their M$ device with their Macs

Without Apple to steal ideas from, where will M$ get their innovations (he added, stirring the flames a bit)?

With my 650 and its great set of software, I'm a very happy Treo user; I can't imagine starting over and having to contend with endless security updates, bug fixes, the typical M$ computer experience.

I think this is a terrible development; I hope Palm OS somehow pulls itself off the discard pile and morphs into a new and more-current OS. I'd love to see multi-tasking, EVDO...
  12.    #72  
    Why don't you just call the cops now? The way you make it sound Bill Gates is coming to your house to beat you over the head with a stick .

Anyway acknowledge it or not it is an innovation that will save plenty of businesses time and money.
    Thank you! I've been looking for a Find command, but couldn't find it.

As you probably know, the application Contacts has no Find feature. Searching the T650 Manual (.pdf) for Find command results in nothing. Searching for the single word "Find" results in 60 entries. Page 106 contained the answer. Nice.

I'm glad to have been led to Find, and feel stupid as I was easily able to configure the 650 to receive email from three different servers, but oh well! It's a clumsy global find, but at least it works.

Now why doesn't Contacts have its own Find?!!
    Why don't you just call the cops now? The way you make it sound Bill Gates is coming to your house to beat you over the head with a stick.
    Nope, not me! I don't use Windows, nor do I use M$ Office. I do my business without it.

Anyway acknowledge it or not it is an innovation that will save plenty of businesses time and money.
    No, not innovation, just a reworking of an existing product. I don't see anything innovative about having it run under a different OS.
    Will the Samsung i730 meet your needs. Doesn't have the screen size, but everything else. Comes with 2 batteries.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=1780

Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I'm going to go for the first hardware offering the following:

1. Either Samsung i500 flip phone size or candy bar 4 x 2.5 x.7 with sliding keyboard
    2. INTERNAL ANTENNAE
    3. WiFi
    4. Bluetooth 2
    5. 256mb (Palm OS) or 512mb (WM) INTERNAL ram/rom
    6. EVDO or UTMS (? or other GMS related broadband)
    7. Rectangular screen (320x480)
    8. SD slot
    9. All day battery (okay - just kidding there)

So, I guess I may as well pack it in for a couple of years.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Nope. Not me.
    Based on the rumored specs and the fact that it won't be available to other carriers until the middle of 2006, I would say there is a 0% chance of me buying one. I think I am leaning more towards the PPC6700 at this point.
    I think I will switch to something like this when my contract is up.

I want a WM based device next because I've lost alot of faith in the PALM software offering. I like the treo's footprint and keyboard/button layout, but the software for me leaves alot to be desired.

I also want somethign with MS Reader, I miss that application so much from my iPaq. eReader stinks.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    When looking a few months ago whether to upgrade my Treo 600 to 650 or switch to Windows Mobile, I chose the the Audiovox SMT5600. I dearly miss the Treo keyboard, but very much like the "near-"instant emails from my Exchange server, and writing .Net apps for the Smartphone. As far as I am concerned, this is the perfect marriage, and I will be a very happy camper when I switch to the Treo 700w sometime next year, especially with EV-DO.
    Now why doesn't Contacts have its own Find?!!
    Because, like every palm device before it, the Find command is SYSTEM WIDE.

If you are looking for searching and filtering abilities within a specific app, you'll pretty much need to look for a third-party app. I myself like Agendus for filtering my 1000+ person contact list down to two or three people, but that's just me...

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast