View Poll Results: Is there a chance you'll buy the Treo 700w?

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

93 33.10%
  • No

188 66.90%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by hova
    And they have the right to hate windows as much as they want without even giving any reason.
    I'm not defending the Treo 700w. I don't even know what the actual specs are for it yet. For me this is about each person picking what is best for them. I don't base that on things like "I just hate windows and have no actual reason for hating it other than all my friends hate it"... That is a baseless position. Yea anyone has the right to embrace a baseless position for sure.

But my point is that there are legitimate reasons people will choose the Treo 700w and that does not make them somehow inferior. Some posts here treat Windows Users as if they are pre-school children without any actual knowledge of the reasons behind the decision. So yes I back up my statements with plenty of factual information.

Palm is allowing a choice of various devices and that should be a plus for everyone. Not a reason to pit some type of turf war.

This poll is about finding what the odds are that folks here might consider a Treo 700w, but no it is not an attempt to make a "this versus that" stance. When similar polls were posted before the T650 release nobody saw it as a T600 versus T650 type of matter. Just what works best for them based on the facts. So I view this the exact same way. I have no loyalty towards either platform.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I will take a close look at the 700w. I will probably wait for the next one though -- 240 x 240 seems like a big step back to me.
    I just dropped $300+ for my GSM 650 and, as I'm still inside the grace period with Cingular, could actually return the unit tomorrow and go back to my basic Nokia until the 700w hits the stores. But I won't.

Before I bought the 650, I posted here and received lots of honest and intelligent advice about Palm, it's OS, and where things might be heading in the future. In the end, I bought a 650 because the existing software catalogue allows me to do everything (and more) that I need to do with this device, and the form factor (IMHO) just can't be beat. Most of the initial kinks in the hardware seem to have been ironed out in the last year or so, and (touch wood?) my Treo has been stable from day one.

Will I look at where things stand when my wireless contract is up for renewal again? Sure, but that's two years away, and much can happen in the meantime....I'm just not going to worry about it!

I'm EXTREMELY HAPPY with my purchase, and all of the support that I've received from this forum to date. I'll continue to enjoy my 650, and will keep posting to the best Treo community there is for as long as you'll have me!
    Cingular Treo 650 - Firmware 1.31 - Software 1.15-CNG - Hardware A
  4.    #44  
    Well hearing that the Treo 700w is a Verizon exclusive might be a deal breaker for me. Still listening to the conference for more details.
    No chance at all - based on my 1 year attempt at using a Windows based PDA before switching back to Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Well hearing that the Treo 700w is a Verizon exclusive might be a deal breaker for me. Still listening to the conference for more details.
    Unlocked ones will follow few months after as previously .
    I need to see how the software developers perform. If there are some neat softwares for OS 5 , which enhance the usability significantly,
    only than it will be worth giving it a second thought .

T650 with software's i.e , launcher's, Ptunes and chattermail is a totally different smartphone than one without it.
    Zero. No chance at all. No way he||.

And it isn't because I hate microsoft. I love microsoft. I'd be out of a job or two if it weren't for microsoft. My desktop PCs run Microsoft OSes and software just fine, thank you.

Its just that WM is HORRIBLY INEFFICIENT for small-screen, stylus, and small-memory-footprint usage. A freaking START MENU? A TASK BAR? For a screen the size of a floppy disk, that's just stupid. The only benefit to this is that a total beginner can get familiar with the GUI in about 20 seconds if they already use Windows. Oh, and it does look glitzy in the showroom - I guess that's a selling advantage as well.

But a total beginner only remains that way for so long...

No, for all its issues, Palm OS was built for these devices from the ground-up. Much more efficient.

I know plenty of folks who had a Palm, went to WM, and then came back to Palm. I don't know ANY who have gone the other way. That's telling...

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    Zero. No chance at all. No way he||.

And it isn't because I hate microsoft. I love microsoft. I'd be out of a job or two if it weren't for microsoft. My desktop PCs run Microsoft OSes and software just fine, thank you.

Its just that WM is HORRIBLY INEFFICIENT for small-screen, stylus, and small-memory-footprint usage. A freaking START MENU? A TASK BAR? For a screen the size of a floppy disk, that's just stupid. The only benefit to this is that a total beginner can get familiar with the GUI in about 20 seconds if they already use Windows. Oh, and it does look glitzy in the showroom - I guess that's a selling advantage as well.

But a total beginner only remains that way for so long...

No, for all its issues, Palm OS was built for these devices from the ground-up. Much more efficient.

I know plenty of folks who had a Palm, went to WM, and then came back to Palm. I don't know ANY who have gone the other way. That's telling...

-Warr
    Palm OS is dead. Really it is.

Why would a phone manufacture look at PalmOS for long term use, when email is the biggest long-term feature of phones? With WM5 its built-in push and free. Developers also have easy plugins to code software for WM5... much much easier than PalmOS. It has the same look/feel as windows (that everyone is used to, which Ed from Palm stated today).

Just about every manufacture has jumped ship from PalmOS and went Windows Mobile, why ignore the obvious? Don't believe me? Do you know any major phone manufacture that is coming out with a PalmOS based phone? Now count how many manufactures are making Windows Mobile phones...

Both Microsoft & Palm saw the light. RIM (Blackberry) owns a huge market (wireless email). There is A LOT of money to be made by Palm & Microsoft pushing RIM out of the market. $$$$$
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    No. I'll wait or the Treo 700p.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Palm/Linux has an excellent chance to succeed. Lots of cell phone manufacturers are bringing out Linux phones. Nokia even brought one out, leading to rumors that they would drop Symbian in favor of Linux. FrankenGarnet is near the end, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by RB6719
    No. I'll wait or the Treo 700p.
    You might be waiting a long time...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoogie
    *yawn* *looks at Treo 700w* *turns over and goes right back to sleep*
    zzzzzzz

my sentiments exactly, where are the hardware developments that push the limits, this is what handspring was all about. I'm placing an order for a HTC Universal and looking forward to what real cutting edge hardware is about.

Dean
    There's not Treo 700w. Only Treo on Windows. I guess that means there's no Treo 700p either.

Surur
    I would look very seriously at it, if it was available via Sprint, and had so much extra power and internal memory and Wifi and EVDO to warrent the restrictions that the smaller screen would offer when compared to other WM5 devices available now and shortly to be released.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    being a non-exchange, non-outlook user..I don't see any reason to go with Win Mobile OS...assuming a palm OS 700 in the near future...what can it do for me the Palm OS Treo 700p?? cannot?

Power management and overhead from previous Windows handhelds/smartphones were an issue when I decided on my original treo...I assume those issues have been corrected in the treo 700w. It appears the user interface of WM5 on the 700w has been improved dramatically.

I'll prolly stick with the Palm OS version of the 700 if offered...would have liked to see some hardware changes (but this form factor appears to be optimal)...as stated in the press conf..the standard for optimal smartphone design has reached the sweet spot in terms of size...camera, display, etc will be a big focus on the hardware side for the forseeable future.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Palm OS is dead. Really it is.
    It has the same look/feel as windows (that everyone is used to, which Ed from Palm stated today).

Ummm, not EVERYONE uses a Windows based rig. I happen to use a Mac! Oh, and I won't be buying anything Windows anytime soon.
    absolutely. I've been a Palm user since the III, but they lost my business permanently with the T5. My concerns are stability and synchability. I'll be picking this up as soon as it hits the market.

I think this likely marks the end for Palm OS. It may take five +years, but it's going to happen unless Palm creates 100% seamless integration & connectivity with email. The fact that Palm's proprietary PIM stuff is so lame and everyone has to buy 3rd party or loose features is a big problem. While no big deal for the crowd here, for most ppl it's just too much of a pain in the arse to get a palm device loaded with everything and still keep it from crashing.

Of course there's no wifi. Verizon is pushing their new broadband service.
    Last edited by littlewaywelt; 09/26/2005 at 04:00 PM.
    How you knew it was a Palm product: During the "demo", the 3G streaming radio app (Palm programmed) didn't work due to "connectivity issue"... Uh, yeah, sign me up...

Actually, some of us love/hate the 650...and unfortunately, almost none of the reasons for that love/hate relates to the operating system...therefore, the 700w doesn't really address many of the shortcomings of the current device:

Limited user RAM/ROM
    No builtin wifi (and the SDIO solution is not viable with only ONE slot).
    No second slot (regardless of wifi issue above)
    No usb/mini-usb?
    No builtin GPS functionality (none disclosed)...

The primary benefit of a Windows Mobile 5 device for corporate users will relate to the email, and that is not a differentiating factor for the 700w...

As the poll is already seeming to indicate, PalmOS-diehards won't buy it because it IS Windows, and OS-agnostic Treo users probably won't buy it because of its limitations.

After all, you won't hold one in your hands till next year (and even then, you would have to jump to Verizon...). I am pretty sure I will have other, better options between now and next April...
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst

-Warr
    Some of us believe that this specific migration is about to change: Why? The ONLY reason some of us came back to the PalmOS-based Treo was for the phone-based Exchange Activesync implementation.

After all, we left Palm before (and were quite happy with the move). We only came back for unique functionality. The long overdue reality of today's announcement is that there is NO UNIQUE functionality--no way that's a winner for Palm.

Oh, and the Verizon tie-in...how can that possibly work out well for maximum sell through? This is a niche release...

Greater availability of Windows Mobile 5 devices will see a significant migration away from the Treo, in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I think people are missing the point of the 700w here. This is not about innovation or crappy quality control or lack of blackberry connectedness (I just made up a new word!). This is about Palm expanding their market. Making more money. History shows that Palm adds only enough new features to new models to stimulate new sales.

And everyone gnashes their teeth. "Why didn't they include this?" "Why didn't they include that?" The software developers have perfected this marketing plan. How many of us buy $30-50 upgrades for software every year for software we already own. Why is this a good marketing plan? Because revenues can be smoothed over time instead of creating boom and bust cycles. Regular steady growth is good for stock prices.

Palm is interested in enhancing revenues and keeping their stock price up, not delivering bleeding edge innovation. They do this by staying just ahead of competitors' technology AND expanding the audience who will be interested in their hardware. The 700w is not about staying ahead of competitors' technology. It's about reaching a new audience and selling more machines.

I won't get the 700w because I must use GSM technology because of foreign travel. How many of these do you think will be sold in Europe?

If the 700w doesn't fit your needs, don't buy it. I will be seriously interested in the 700p when it arrives because there will be a GSM version, not because I love the Palm OS. That's the audience I am in.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast