View Poll Results: Is there a chance you'll buy the Treo 700w?

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

93 33.10%
  • No

188 66.90%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    it seems that all of the devices are going the windows route. i love the design of the treo. i feel it is the best out there. the one device which looks a little better is the htc wizard. i really doubt i will go for a 700p
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I love the Palm OS. I don't want Microsoft
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    It's Treo we love it.

It's Microsoft we hate it.

You want to patch your Treo every Tuesday?

Karl
    www.justsayok.net
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by karlz
    It's Microsoft we hate it.
    Personally I can't say I'm in that boat.

You want to patch your Treo every Tuesday?
    So long as they work better than the Palm patches that messed up my old T600 I've got no problem with it. The most used (Windows although not Windows Mobile) is naturally going to be the most attacked. I don't think Windows Mobile has had many if any patches in the latest release.
  5.    #25  
    I know there are plenty of folks here with feelings like Karlz and this is my message to all of you.
    I've pretty much decided that I will wait for integrated wifi so it will probably be the Treo 750. I would prefer it being a palm but if it's WM, so be it. I also think that I might want to go GSM and get rid of Verizon.
    I Have owned 8 different Palm Devices including the Treo 600 & now the 650. In My position as an IT Manager I occasionaly bring in a Windows Based unit to evaluate, last week I Purchased a Ipaq HX4700 because of the Size of the screen (4") built-in Bluetooth & WiFi and resident support for Terminal Services Client Access. After 5 days of Comparing it to the T650 (For Data Access only, we use Numerous Websites developed for Mobile access & Terminal services ) I couldnt Find anything that the Ipaq could do better & In some cases the Treo was easier (and Always Handier) the Larger screen wasnt even that Much of a plus. In My humble opinion If I could replace all my computer workstations with PALM based desktop workstations I would do it in a Minute!

Anyone want to buy a week old Ipaq HX4700, It goes on E-bay Tuesday...
    I doubt I'd be getting a 700w anytime soon-if ever.
    First- it is part of the M$ evil empire, I'd rather support the innovation of the Palm founders. My co-worker, who loathes all things Gates, would have a major Gateway-sized cow. (He is into Linux, a penquin-powered Treo may be just his thing).

Second, I don't have tons of money to waste on new phones every few years.

I researched the treo up the wazoo even before the 650 came out, had decided on the 600 but didn't buy yet, waiting for the funds to be in hand and then (pop) there was the 650. I still didn't buy yet, waiting for the early 650 adopters to get some of the kinks out, then waited even longer for Verizon to come on board (patiently impatient). Even when they did, I flirted with Sprint's lower data plans up to the last minute before getting my Vzn 650. I still have some problems here and there, but love my 650.

So, I won't be upgrading any time soon. I only hope that when I eventually am ready to upgrade from my treo 650 that there is a non-MS, truly "Palm" Treo out there with features that will make it worthwhile.

Here's the quandry. My wife is in IT but probably does not want to babysit a quirky unit. She needs a stable device more compatible w/MS office than even our beloved 650 is. She had no interest in a smartphone, and just got her first cameraphone. Now, maybe it's seeing how much I can do on the 650, she has actually expressed an interest in getting a Treo. Do I encourage her to get a 650, or a 700w, or wait for a possible 700p, or something else maybe farther down the pike? She just got the cam phone, so may need to eat an Early Termination Fee if she runs out this week and buys a 700w (which she may be able to do since strangely Vzn is now the early adopter in this case). Maybe I can convince her to wait a year or two- but should I??
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Addendum to my previous post... possible chink in my anti-MS armor:

I am in radio and a few years ago someone made an interface and software that would allow you to record on professional mics audio into an old MS PDA and even edit that sound. You could save it in high-quality sample-rates on a memory card.

Being able to record interviews, edit the audio into a complete radio program, and upload the file to the transmitter site thru FTP on one pocket-sized (or should that be palm-sized) device, without having to dub in real-time Mini-Disc interviews to a luggable laptop for editing... would be very tempting. I could avoid hefting a mini-disc recorder and laptop- my phone could do it all.

I still would prefer that the Treo 800p have those features, and avoid Windoze.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    I'd rather support the innovation of the Palm founders.
    First let me say you clearly should not get a Treo 700w .

But isn't it innovation by definition when Palm wants to expand their device to a different OS regardless of the company behind it? I'm sure the developers at Palm spent many hours getting the Treo to work with Windows Mobile. So I must say the Treo 700w certainly is innovation. Despite how anyone might feel about the company involved.

I recall before MS when any new software required an additional hardware purchase. Companies like IBM and Sun Microsystems held a much tighter lock on customer's ability to use different configurations before MS came along. As much as people consider MS the "evil empire" and all the flack they take for some of their actions, for us who know the history they actually are the "good guy" compared with some of the others that some folks ironically praise today. Not trying to start any flame wars, but mentioning for the benefit of those who may happen to be too young to have been around back then. And personally I think some of the lawsuits and past rulings against MS were a good thing. It's just a shame it never happened when other companies were doing what MS did and worse while they held most of the market! MS is OK with me.

(Given I used the Firefox Google Toolbar's spellcheck feature to spellcheck this post, Google now knows every word I've posted here. My choice to allow that but I figure they will take the "evil" title at some point .)
    I was thinking about all the negative comments that I've read lately about Palm turning to Win Mobile and leaving the Palm OS for good. Does anybody think that there is not going to be a Treo 700 based on the Palm OS? If so then why would they call the 700 a Treo 700w? I think it is because there is going to be for sure a Treo 700p. Therefore, I'm not even thinking about upgrading to the 700w.

Al
    absolutely no chance
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Three reasons to buy the 700w:

1. Blackberry Connect
    2. Blackberry Connect
    3. Blackberry Connect

I will be forced to drop my 650 shortly for the company standard BB. Despite the fact the BB is junk compared to the Treo, I can't fathom carrying 2 devices. Palm has been playing the vaporware game with BB Connect, while the WM devices have been rolling out....

Get it, there are a zillion folks using the Treo - they don't need or want BBs.

There are a zillion folks using BBs - they aren't allowed to use a Treo.

My bet is BB Connect will be part of today's announcement. If it is, I'd seriously consider making the jump.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    The key for me is if Palm brings the one-handed usability features to MS as it did with PalmOS. The Treo has been the only full features smartphone that I have had that can be used at 70MPH. I also would like them to keeep the contact search method, it is the also the most efficient one I have seen.
    I'm sreiously considering getting a WM device, thought it might not be the 700w. I'm too concerned about getting the right apps (cost) and then finding out I have to wait a year for them to support 240x240.
    No chance!

Why not?
    -too soon after 650 investment to justify upgrade costs
    -can't live with downgraded resolution (if this is indeed the case)
    -too happy with Datebk5 to make a change (especially given the two above reasons)
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    There are still a couple of us treo 600 users who thought the 650 really wasnt an upgrade and are now willing to entertain the idea of a WM treo.
    I concur, I did not seen enough of a change in the 650 to necessitate an upgrade (and the expense). I am waiting to see what the 700w and the 700p have to offer. I too have much time, knowledge and money wrapped up in th Palm OS so I will have to logically weigh the cost of changing OS's right now....even thought the alpha geek in me is feeling quite lost not being at the forefront of technology in my office.
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
    One thing the Treo's got going for it no matter what:

One-handed Qwerty!!
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    I'm stayin put with my 650. Although the new features are appealing, I don't see much of an upgrade from what I have now.Memory?...nope. Battery life?...Prob gonna be worse. Screen resolution....prob gonna be worse also. Not to mention the dollaz I'm gonna have to drop on new apps. Palm is just feelin this out imo and I truely believe there will be another Palm OS based Treo coming out soon after this one. One with built-in Wi-Fi(I'm praying),EVDO, and a more stable OS from the jump. I have stuck with the Treo brand through thick and thin so I am confident they will come through.Go ahead and waste that money if ya'll want to.

Its funny how many PPC fans are comin out da closet.......
    Last edited by Hu$tle; 09/26/2005 at 09:26 AM.

Sweet Chi-Town Music!

300 > 600 > 650

CURRENT EQUIPMENT

TREO 650

Alternate Phone- Motorola Razr V3 (silver)
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    First let me say you clearly should not get a Treo 700w .

But isn't it innovation by definition when Palm wants to expand their device to a different OS regardless of the company behind it? I'm sure the developers at Palm spent many hours getting the Treo to work with Windows Mobile. So I must say the Treo 700w certainly is innovation. Despite how anyone might feel about the company involved.

I recall before MS when any new software required an additional hardware purchase. Companies like IBM and Sun Microsystems held a much tighter lock on customer's ability to use different configurations before MS came along. As much as people consider MS the "evil empire" and all the flack they take for some of their actions, for us who know the history they actually are the "good guy" compared with some of the others that some folks ironically praise today. Not trying to start any flame wars, but mentioning for the benefit of those who may happen to be too young to have been around back then. And personally I think some of the lawsuits and past rulings against MS were a good thing. It's just a shame it never happened when other companies were doing what MS did and worse while they held most of the market! MS is OK with me.

(Given I used the Firefox Google Toolbar's spellcheck feature to spellcheck this post, Google now knows every word I've posted here. My choice to allow that but I figure they will take the "evil" title at some point .)
    Hey Darnell,

It seems like you spend a lot of your time on here defending the 700w. You say that this is not "one versus the other" but it is. They very nature of your poll states that. You have to understand that there are some people that just dont like windows and are very much in love with the Palm OS. And they have the right to hate windows as much as they want without even giving any reason. You have some very good points as to windows being the future but as of right now people are not willing to accept that. I for one, like the palm OS and think I will stick with them for right now( although I believe eventually we all will be using windows based smartphones ). I definetly dont hate bill (gates) because I just believe the guy is a smart and very innovative business man. He eventually always gets his way. My main reason for not wanting to switch to the 700w is because I dont feel like paying Verizon that much money to use EVDO and plus the card added Wifi really doesnt appeal to me (I dont really hang out in coffee shops that much )and I Have unlimited data with sprint for $10). And I also believe sprint will unveil their new treo (700p?) soon.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast