Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I really don't see the excitement about the 700w unless you're a WM fan or stuck with M$ thru your company and Treos have thus eluded you so far. For a user with investment / learning curve in Palm OS already, I would be looking forward to the new Palm OS models. If Palm truly runs WinMollasses5 on 312PXA and 32MB, the performance won't even come close. Remember, Palm OS is so compact, the entire OS fits in 4MB of ROM. 312 blazes on Palm OS, but we'll see what WM5 and it's well documented file-system sluggishness do on a Palm device.

This is going to allow a great comparison between the to OSes, though!

Now EVDO capability will be an improvement, but a 700P will most certainly have this on CDMA models as well. EDGE is strong, but not quite as strong as EVDO, but current GSM 650s already have this capability.

IMO, the Treo 700 looks frumpy and kinda cludgy in comparison to the more artistic 650s. The jury is still out on the functional keyboard changes. The 650 and 600 have very attractive lines and have made huge splash in the mainstream (see pic). The 700 looks designed by commitee to me.

The giant antenna remains, so I fear that Palm is going to torture everyone once again on the 700P etc. What on earth are they thinking?

... but like it or not, WM5 is MUCH more stable than POS.
    Hehe ... you haven't seen Palm implement a WM phone yet.
    Patrick Horne
    Your giving performance arguments left over from three versions of WM ago which would probably be back when the Palm still had the same OS as right now. Pick up the latest issue of PC Mag where they go head to head and WM edges POS. I think you should just do a search on "Microsoft sucks" and post there because I see no legitimate point in your post.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith
    I really don't see the excitement about the 700w unless you're a WM fan or stuck with M$ thru your company and Treos have thus eluded you so far. For a user with investment / learning curve in Palm OS already, I would be looking forward to the new Palm OS models. If Palm truly runs WinMollasses5 on 312PXA and 32MB, the performance won't even come close. Remember, Palm OS is so compact, the entire OS fits in 4MB of ROM. 312 blazes on Palm OS, but we'll see what WM5 and it's well documented file-system sluggishness do on a Palm device.
    Well I guess it depends on what the 700 p will have in it.

Will it have a better camera? Better BT radio? Support for the wifi card?

Thats what I see now with the 700 w. What will the P have? I don't know but I am not ready to discount the 700 w because it does have some improvements. For the people who want the treo form factor and some of the more recent capabilities, it looks like a nice 'beginning'.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Its starting to smell like Palm is using up the existing inventory of Treo 650 parts added a few new ones and will call it the Treo 700w. Now if they do intro a Treo700p and it looks nothing like the 700w and has widely different specs, well Palm users would be happy becuase that would make the 700w and WM OS on a Treo very short lived.
    Let's face it... 240 x 240 from 320 x 320 is a step back... unless you've never invested in a T650 to begin with.

If you're like me, and have been using the 650 for about a year or so now, going back just isn't a savory option... The screen advantages for 320x320 were actually undervalued, I think, at release of the T650, and it has proved to be a VERY ENJOYABLE experience... both in richness and in browsing capabilities.

Although I'd love to purchase the 700W, especially for EVDO, since they have announced a 700P, I'm cool with waiting a few months to get the next evolution.

At least there are options for everyone.

Hopefully (with Palm this is always a losing emotion), Palm will have upgraded RAM, gotten rid of squishy keys, and maybe improved the camera a bit (I know, a camera is not a primary reason to buy a Treo - but it does help with the whole 'convergeance' idea). If all of these things are true, then a 700W with 240x240, however new, already sounds like the dinosaur to a 700P with 320x320.

This is just classic PALM.
    The same could be said for 320*240 WM users going to the 240*240 screen. Yet I did just that and had the hw6515 until I sold it this week to get ready for the Treo 700w. Was there a small drawback sure, but I got past it and found it to be just fine and not the crappy screen resoluition that those who have yet to use a 240*240 screen claim it it is. Its the same as saying the Treo 700w is junk when someone hasn't used one at all. I bought the 6515 knowing the risk and didn't find it disappointing, except for the developers who are still playing catch up.
    I like 320, I won't go back.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Ditto here, the screen is stellar. I will _not_ go back, no matter what.
    Then you won't be using WM then since it doesn't support 320*320.
    i know the pixels are a factor, but if it is 240x240 i wouldn't be upset if the increased the hues on it so it can show 262,000 colors. It's not so much the pixel but the amout of hues it shows. I have had both a P900/910 and when they increased the hues to 262,000 it made a big difference the screen was much brighter and more clear. 240x240 wont be bad at 262,000. We both know that the os does not support this.

my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd
    At 320x240, I like the landscape mode so I'm OK with those devices(I already have a cheap one). I also want to try the VGA 640x480. But I can't look at 240x240 when I've seen other devices with more pixels around the same price. The Canadian student makes a good point about hues though.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

Um, no kidding. That's what I just said.

My potential driving force to get me onto WM5 would be integration with OneNote (search for threads that we've talked about it on), but the next version won't sync with WM5 until late spring, at the earliest. I've futzed around with a Palm port (just viewing data) but never finished it, so maybe I'll go back and take another look.

But my biggest loss in going to WM5 would be Chatter... don't know if I can give up that app. And, quite frankly, with that poor of a screen, you lose a lot of visibility in calendar mode if you use icons, and... just, man, I won't consider a phone with that low of a resolution, period.
    700W specs posted at Treonauts:

http://blog.treonauts.com/
    memory (88MB Total)
    Program Memory: 24.45MB
    Storage Memory: 62.94MB
    The question is, is this available ram after boot, or before boot. If its after full boot 24.45 MB might actually be usable, but if its allocated memory before boot, and the OS uses another 15-20 MB then its going to be disaster.

But then they would be stupid to do that, would they...

Surur
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    From the stated totals it looks to have 64MB memory and 128MB Persistent Storage...
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    The same could be said for 320*240 WM users going to the 240*240 screen. Yet I did just that and had the hw6515 until I sold it this week to get ready for the Treo 700w. Was there a small drawback sure, but I got past it and found it to be just fine and not the crappy screen resoluition that those who have yet to use a 240*240 screen claim it it is. Its the same as saying the Treo 700w is junk when someone hasn't used one at all. I bought the 6515 knowing the risk and didn't find it disappointing, except for the developers who are still playing catch up.

I just did close to the same thing, I had the 6515 and I took it back, and canceled Cingular, not cause of the 6515, and went to a Treo 650 for VZW and thinking about the 700w. My concern still is, there are apps that I ran on PPC that didn't work on the 6515. Simple things that I didn't realize how much I used them, games like Tradewinds and Skyforce. I emailed Astraware and they told me that there wasn't a 240x240 version of Tradewinds planned at all. The screen res itself was fine, I didn't really dislike it, but I missed the Treo, one thing that i was always happy with about the Palm, and someone correct me if I am wrong, a game that I played on my Zire worked fine on my Treo, and a game that worked on my Treo also worked on the old 180 I had laying around and my i330. Now that is saying I was playing an older game and not one of the newer 3D games. All I am getting at is, why does it seem if you want the EVDO and WM5 you have to abandon things that you use and are used to, where you didn't have to do it with Palm. I do know at first there were apps that didn't work af first with OS5 and most developers got on the ball faster, it just doesn't seem like developers for WM are moving as fast. I think I would still prefer for the time being sticking with Palm, and hopefully we will see a 700p but that is another thread entirely
    Astraware was one of the first vendors to annouce support for the Treo 700w, rather disappointing. Skyforce is one of my key apps and I keep checking in on the 240*240 issue. I know they were working on it.
    Concerning teh resolution difference and support, usually it takes a device with plenty of name reognition to convince developers that it needs to be supported. Its not a question of the 240x240 res being a big thing since now the Treo which is a popular name device will have it. With the iPaq it was the first that did it and until others would come with, developers had no cost/work advantage in doing it.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    This is freaking hilarious! All they said at that link was (someone) with his "trained" eye, has a personal opinion and thinks that this thing is 240x240. It is not only NOT 100% confirmed, it is not even a point worthy of an argument. This person, by simply seeing these relatively low quality pictures, has made his own assessment.

Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    This is freaking hilarious! All they said at that link was (someone) with his "trained" eye, has a personal opinion and thinks that this thing is 240x240. It is not only NOT 100% confirmed, it is not even a point worthy of an argument. This person, by simply seeing these relatively low quality pictures, has made his own assessment.

Eric
    I thought the screen size was confirmed...It's Not?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast