Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sns
    Well, I've been using PPC as well. I'm forgiving almost all the issues Treo has only for being able to work with small fonts in Blazer and DocsToGo.
    Its display fits much more than 240x320 of PPC.

And as for me, ClearType simply sucks.

So if T700W will have 320x320 - I will get it.
    Agreed. All Cleartype does is to put the edges of the fonts into soft focus so you can't see the jagged edges. It in no way makes up for losing 30% of horizontal pixels resolution. PalmOS Tiny fonts would be illegible on a 240 screen - so say goodbye to being able to see all your appointment text in a 7 day per page calendar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    I'm wondering if the new Treo is 240x320. It just wouldn't make sense to me flipping it into landscape otherwise. But the screen looks square. I still don't get it.
    The screen is square so it is definitely not 240x320. The only reason the landscape functionality is included is because it is part of the the windows mobile operating system.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    if you want to see how good the screen is go look at an i730..and put your hand over the bottom half of the screen...

I think 240x240 will be more than fine for most people.
  4. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    if you want to see how good the screen is go look at an i730..and put your hand over the bottom half of the screen...

I think 240x240 will be more than fine for most people.
    ...who have never owned an OS5 Palm/Clie/Treo. Or even those who have a PPC, who will still lose a third of their screen. Why should a downgrade to the lowest common denominator be acceptable? After all, these are premium, not entry level devices we are talking about.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    yea.. when i look at a 640x480 PPC... I am in awe. But for everyday email/contacts and phone use 240x240 is fine, at least for me... Im just loosing part of the screen that the on screen keyboard would of taken up anyways.
  6. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    yea.. when i look at a 640x480 PPC... I am in awe. But for everyday email/contacts and phone use 240x240 is fine, at least for me... Im just loosing part of the screen that the on screen keyboard would of taken up anyways.
    No one's expecting VGA in a 2.5" screen (yet). Whilst catering for the average user might make business sense, 240x240 is hardly a step forward for those familiar with current standards. You've obviously never tried to squeeze much into a PPC / Palm Today / Word / Excel / Explorer / TomTom screen. Losing a third of the available lines _is_ a big deal for anyone that has - especially if that comes at "first adopter" prices.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    320x240 is the most common resolution on PPC's and when you have the on screen keyboard up your left with about 240x240 of visable display. For people accustomed to the PPC and new users I really dont see it being much an issue. Sure it would be nice to have 480x480 (the next resolution up in WM) but 240x240 is by no means a show stopper. I have used the HP 6500 (a PPC PE with 240x240 and built in GPS with mapping software) and it was more than fine for just about everything.
    I also own the hp 6515 w/ 240x240 and have owned many PoS devices and PPC's from 160x160 to 640x480 so its simple. If you don't like the screen don't buy the device. I use the 6515 and have no issues with picture quality, GPS use reading documents. Do I want higher resolution sure, but is any mfg offering a 480x480 and if they did what would the cost be and how many would complain about its costs.

Vidoe is fine, pictures are fine, I can ready my calender, email, contacts, use apps and many are being updated for WM5 and would include 240x240 if they are forward thinking. So I am looking forward to my move back to Verizon if only for the Treo700w.
  9. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    Fair enough, I guess I'm in the minority here. I find space taken up by keyboad on QVGA intensly annoying, and to lose that space permanently would do my head in. I've also got used to seeing a full week's agenda on the Today screen and calendar, and doing my browsing in landscape mode. To move back to a screen which is worse than early PPCs and Clies is not what I call progress. But at least this discussion proves that HP/Palm are right, in that there's no need to innovate when the average buyer is happy with any old screen.
    Last edited by Me2; 10/30/2005 at 09:44 AM.
    I think I could be happy with the 240X240 screen. I think for most of us, we will have to wait and see it with our own eyes.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

11. sns
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I think I could be happy with the 240X240 screen. I think for most of us, we will have to wait and see it with our own eyes.
    What good over Treo it could provide then?

I would think that with the same hardware I could move to WM, but in case 240x240 it seems like downgrade. Take into account that it will be also slower due to WM. New bugs?

Moving to a device that provides better view and usability it reasonable, no matter what OS is there as long as it does what You need.
    What good over Treo it could provide then?

I would think that with the same hardware I could move to WM, but in case 240x240 it seems like downgrade. Take into account that it will be also slower due to WM. New bugs?

Moving to a device that provides better view and usability it reasonable, no matter what OS is there as long as it does what You need.
    My understanding (I could be wrong) is that the 700w will have:

BT 1.2 v. 1.1
    1.3 mp cam v. VGA
    WM5 (which I thought was much improved over wm2003 - or whatever is in the 6601)
    EVDO v. slow

Those look like upgrades to me. Can my eyes tell the pixel difference between 320x320 and 240x240...I'm not sure.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Not to nitpick, but I thought the camera was confirmed to be only 1 megapixel, not 1.3. Am I wrong here? Not much different anyway.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    The camera is probably the least important part of the latest underpowered Palm dud. It will suck at any resolution. What the release of the 700W will do is put a larger dent into the Palm OS market share. Now it makes sense that Palm sold the rights to the software portion... it looks like it's hangin' on to the Treos as it's last line of revenue...
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    The camera is probably the least important part of the latest underpowered Palm dud. It will suck at any resolution. What the release of the 700W will do is put a larger dent into the Palm OS market share. Now it makes sense that Palm sold the rights to the software portion... it looks like it's hangin' on to the Treos as it's last line of revenue...
    Boo Hoo. For someone who hates Palm so much, you sure do troll a lot at treocentral.com
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    I think the camera is just one portion of the 'converged' device. If it can take better pics (and video) than that is a 'good' thing in the subjective book of treo improvements.

17. sns
    My understanding (I could be wrong) is that the 700w will have:

BT 1.2 v. 1.1
    1.3 mp cam v. VGA
    WM5 (which I thought was much improved over wm2003 - or whatever is in the 6601)
    EVDO v. slow

Those look like upgrades to me. Can my eyes tell the pixel difference between 320x320 and 240x240...I'm not sure.
    When You will see it - You will understand. Spend a day with something like hp ipaq 6515 or 6340 (it 240 by 320).

I'm not sure how often I will use EV-DO or other pluses, but I'm sure that I will look at the display every time I use the phone.
    When You will see it - You will understand. Spend a day with something like hp ipaq 6515 or 6340 (it 240 by 320).

I'm not sure how often I will use EV-DO or other pluses, but I'm sure that I will look at the display every time I use the phone.
    I guess I should provide a little more background...I am used to a 160x160 display. Anything above that will be an improvement to me.

19. sns
    I guess I should provide a little more background...I am used to a 160x160 display. Anything above that will be an improvement to me.
    I'm only saying that 240 x240 for WM is not worth leaving 320 x 320 on Treo.
    I'm used to work with PPC, now using Treo. Despite some differences and usual Palm problems it seems to me faster working, doing everything I need and with crisp and wonderfull display.
    So for the moment, mentioned specs of 700w for me is a downgrade.
    EV-DO, so very needed - I don't understand why? 4 or 2 second to load page difference? 10 or 20 seconds to get mail?
    I;m not loading MPEG movies with that anyway. Everything else is plain the same.
    Having used EVDO for over 2 years now, I would go back to a monochrome screen before I gave up EVDO - it's a function over form thing. To each their own.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast