Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After reading Engadget's interesting article on the Treo 700w - http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000867059961 - I have decided the 700w doesn't justify an upgrade from my Sprint Treo 650. My reasons:

1. Screen resolution is apparently 240x240. Yuck.

2. The built-in EVDO sounds VERY cool - but Sprint and Verizon charge $45-60/month for it. That's too much for me. While I want speed, I don't want to pay that much for it.

3. WiFi isn't built in, but is compatible with WiFi cards. Do they have reasonably priced WiFi cards with 1 gig onboard storage? I doubt it.

4. The 64 megs of memory sounds nice, but with Zlauncher and moving apps to the card, I really don't have memory issues.

Over the last several years, I have learned the Palm OS and have invested a lot of money into Palm apps. The specs for the 700w would have to be a big improvement to get me to learn a new OS and invest in new apps. But with a lower rez screen, a so-so memory upgrade, and a very expensive EVDO option, the upgrade isn't worth it to me.
    Last edited by heberman; 09/23/2005 at 10:42 AM.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    i'm with you.it doesn't seem as much of an upgrade.. but as far as evdo pricing i thought those prices on refered to the cards. i know with sprint people with the ppc 6700 have been reporting that they had to upgrade to a power vision pack which is very inexpensive like 20 to 25 i believe... but the vision plan that you already have should work fine because if evdo is up in your area you are going to pick it up regardless...
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
    I agree that it is not much of an upgrade. EV-DO is nice, but honestly, I don't stream shoutcast stations or MobiTV now only because they would block incoming calls. EV-DO has the same problem AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.

Given that, maybe this is just for the WM crowd and Palm realizes that this is a small increment over the 650, so there won't be a 750p until next spring.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Similar reasons here. Memory is not really an issue as I use a 1gig card and can run most apps from it. The resolution is an issue though as I watch movies and view pictures and powerpoint slides all the time.

I also use both Win and Mac computers and I am concerned about WinMobile and the Mac compatibility.

Wifi with a card is not a big help as I NEED my memory card in there.

EVDO? At that cost... sorry but not for me. I am around computers all the time.

The cost of the device itself will also keep me from upgrading. However for those who have older converged devices or are not yet there, this is probably not as big a deal. The feature set is just not a big enough improvement for me to switch the OS I am used to. Sorry palm, but for all the complaints about an unstable OS, I like it.

Just my thoughts though....
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by donric609
    but the vision plan that you already have should work fine because if evdo is up in your area you are going to pick it up regardless...
    Oh, that's good. I get Vision for free right now, so it's nice to know that whever I do upgrade, I might get EVDO without paying through the nose.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Just remember, unless they've updated that article with more info, the 240x240 is assumed, not certain. I'm not saying that's enough reason to upgrade (I probably would'nt if I had a 650 regardless if it's 320) but just wanted to point that out. Hate having something go from rumor to fact :/ It probably is 240, but we should wait for something more official before saying that's the case.
    Guys, 64 megs of memory on a system where the OS takes up 40 is NOT a upgrade, its the same thing you already have in the 650. The 700w is a toy to test palm's ability to sell PPC devices.
    Furthermore, EVDO is the same price with sprint as normal vision, 15 a month unlimited. I'm getting it now on the ppc-6700.
    It's not enough to make me switch.

I've had more PPC devices than PalmOS devices over the years, still use my Toshiba daily, so software isn't a problem with me. 240x240 is a problem, and more memory would be nice.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    thanks, shadowmite. excellent points.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I'm not upgrading because:

1. Probably less battery life
    2. I have to make sure my wm apps are "square aware".
    3. 64mb ram. It should be at least 128mb.
    4. No integrated wifi.
    5. Possibility of a 700p version.
    6. 240x240
    WM 5.0 is not compatible with 320x320. It has to be 240x240 or 480x480. I am sure engadget would have been able to tell if it 480x480 so it is pretty safe to assume that it is 240x240.
    The 64MB ram is not such a big problem (its going to be standard for all PPC's except the very very high end) soon (The Axim x51v has 64MB ram, the HP 4700 VGA has only 64MB ram), the HTC Universal ($1200) has only 64MB RAM. Due to no files being stored in RAM anymore, its like having 64Mb dynamic heap basically. The 64MB flash is a bit small, but any app you can install in flash you can install on a SD card.

Surur
    Yeah its not an 'up'grade.
    240X240
    I have $400 invested in Palm apps and reference files.
    I have a 10 year learning curve invested in my Palm apps and the Palm OS.
    (I used to live on the bleeding edge, now I will let other's blaze the trail.)
    Show me an overwhelming reason to change.

(I will have my Sprint EV-DO Treo 700p soon enough.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Guys, 64 megs of memory on a system where the OS takes up 40 is NOT a upgrade, its the same thing you already have in the 650. The 700w is a toy to test palm's ability to sell PPC devices.
    It's good to see that the bean counters at Palm are equal opportunity skinflints. The current memory on teh 650 is marginal, and it will be marginal on the 700w. Glad to see they don't discriminate.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/arti...,43176&start=1

Some pics of WM 5 on a square screen.

Surur
    My problem with Palm is that they are not handling the client based expectations specially the most vocal ones. The product is then percieved as not satisfying the general need.

On the MS based Treo, I personally have the opinion that this device will be short of memory (ROM and RAM) what MS needs to be even practical for day to day use.

Never mind about satisfying specific MS min. requirements as those does not allow you do anything except minimally work the device. If you want the full works, Palm MS Treo have to be at least at par or more memory with the other competitive MS based smartphone devices unless you have some technological advantage that other MS platform does not have.
    There's no way I'm ever moving backwards on screen resolution. I've gone from Palm III > Palm IIIx > Palm VIIx > m130 > Zire 72 > Treo 650. I'm a super-heavy Datebk5 user with ALOT of high-res icons. I also read (OliveTree Bible) on my 650. There 'aint no way I'm sacrificing resolution...I don't care if it has 20 gigs of memory and a 10,000 hour battery!!

That being said, I also can't imagine using anything but Datebk 5 to manage my life

Anyone know how user-friendly the Windows interface and built-in aps (outlook) are using 5-way navigation?
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I certainly wouldn't "upgrade" to the Treo 700w. The only appealing features are the higher mega-pixel camera and that the unit may be slightly narrower. I'm kinda stuck with Palm- made too much of an investment with Palm software.

I'd also like to think that the next smartphone I bought was a bit more revolutionary in the hardware department as opposed to just a minuscule evolutionary step.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast