Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    As for the gloom and doom predictions that this spells the end for Palm OS: consider the Mac. Despite some dark periods in its history, the Mac and MacOS continue to survive (and some would say "thrive") despite its paltry market share of between 5% and 10%, and there are tens of thousands of Mac applications available that do pretty much everything Windows programs do, but with style, flair, and efficiency. Does that sound like a familiar handheld OS to you?

Let me tell you, I worry not...

-Warr
    Palms current situation is the one Apple was in in around 1996/97. An ageing OS and a general decline. Fortunately Apple did 2 things right - they produced the iMac (it halted the decline if nothing else) and they started the move to Mac OS X.

I think Palms move to Windows mobile is equivalent to what would have happened if Apple had started using Windows in it's Macs (instead of getting Jobs back, buying Next and starting work on OS X).

I don't think Apple would still be around if they had done that, and I'm not sure that Palm will survive very long selling Windows Mobile devices.

I don't believe Palms hardware is good enough to win the day on it's own. It needs a decent OS to stand above the crowd.
    actually, I think Palm's hardware is good enough

consider that they did everything to purchase Handspring, just for the Treo

from there, a new company purchased Palm for billions, just for the Treo, as well

basically - the Treo is a staple forever

the Palm OS is dead though -----

you're totally correct on Apple, Billo

Sadly, I don't think that Palm is even developing the OS X version of tomorrow's Mobile OS
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Remote errase, HIGH BIT Encryption, etc etc, is all built into Exchange 2003 SP2 that will be released shortly. I have had a chance to view it pre-release. I honestly don't see what the Blackberry service is going to have over what MS is going to give for free.
    I stand corrected and hope you're right
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I will give Palm one month after the announcement of the 700w (next monday) to announce the 700p. If it doesn't come out by then, I see this as an act of ignorance from Palm to the traditional Palm user base...
    Don't hold your breath - the Monday press conference says it all: Cooligan shoulder to shoulder with Strigl (Verizon) and Gates (M$oft). Do you really think Gates is going to make this sort of splash over a Windoze Treo and let Palm announce a POS twin anytime during the remainder of 2005? No way dude.

I'm hoping next year we'll at least see a 700p Frankengarnet tweak with WiFi and more memory, but there will be no more revolutionary (even severely evolutionary) POS Treos. Say adios to slider keyboards, OLED, or any other significant advances in the POS.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I am not the only one who want the "POS", look at the poll. I still will give them one month.

I don't mind the Frankengarnet if they give me 128MB memory.

Remember the http://cooltechtimes.com/ website that leaked the Cobalt picture? It was basically built to leak that picture. I think it will come (not cobalt, but frankengarnet). I just have a hunch it will come next year, which is too little too late in my book. I am not going to stick with T-Mobile in hope that Palm will make something I like eventually.
    Last edited by whatever7; 09/24/2005 at 11:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I am not the only one who want the "POS", look at the poll. I still will give them one month.
    Give them 'til Tuesday.
    I won't have anything to do with WIndoze on a handheld. Been there, done that.
    Might have to wait for Treo 750 (or whatever). If it's PALM OS, with EVDO and WIfi I MIGHT consider getting that, but not the 700w. What a freakin' waste of marketing and engineering talent.

Greg

(Intel employee. Brother is a programmer at Microsoft. <hehe>)
    I won't go for the 700w for a number of reasons:

-650 is just about perfect for me now. Would like a better camera and thats about it. Memory has not been an issue for me since the fix. More would certainly be nice but its not a critical item. Sound quality is very good for me now thanks to the OS patch and, most importantly, VolumeCare. Have yet to figure out what I would need multitasking for.
    -Big investment in a lot of software that I like. Not that there isnt good MS software, its just I have paid for this stuff!
    -Faster internet would be fun sure, but not at $50-$60 a month compared to the unlimited internet for $10 I get from Sprint right now.
    -I like the higer-res screen and don't want to go back
    -I have played with MS devices. They can do some things well, no doubt, but have never been as easy to use on a daily bases for normal smartphone tasks as Palm OS. Just not a one-hand-no-stylus type of deal. Perhaps they have tweeked things for the 700, will need to see.
    -650 not quite 1-yr old, so no Sprint upgrade for a while.

In fact, at this stage, I would not upgrade to a 700p with similar specs to the 700w, at least until I can get a deal from Sprint. Only "upgrades" that I would find useful are the camera and more memory.
    Well let's assume MS now has Exchange to a comparable level of security with RIM's BES. That means the task for MS would now be to convince the rest of the world of that fact. The Blackberry is the most used and you never hear of security issues. I wonder if MS will be able to say the same regarding Exchange a year from now? Might be nice if they can .
    Im not exactly sure what to think abou the EV-DO on the new Treo. after reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVDO it seems that the EVDO is for CDMA providers like Sprint and not Cingular (which is GPRS & EDGE). But it doesnt seem to make sense to say the Treo 700w supports EVDO(?) ... I thought that was up to the carrier. Correct me if im wrong but if im with Cingular then EVDO does me no good.
    The Treo 700w is first being released by Verizon which is a CDMA carrier. So it is completely appropriate to say the Treo 700w supports EVDO.

With no word given of what other carriers will do it only makes sense to lead with what they have. Which is a EVDO ready device that is customized for a EVDO provider.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Well let's assume MS now has Exchange to a comparable level of security with RIM's BES. That means the task for MS would now be to convince the rest of the world of that fact. The Blackberry is the most used and you never hear of security issues. I wonder if MS will be able to say the same regarding Exchange a year from now? Might be nice if they can .
    Considering that Blackberry costs around $300/year per user, it will be easy for corporate america to make the change (Microsoft solution = 0$/year).
    Companies already have BES factored into their annual budgets. So most big companies will still be slow to move. Smaller companies will be more likely to give it a shot early on. And if Exchange is still not really up to BES's level when it comes to security companies can fully justify the added expense of BES. And it is less likely that larger companies will want to rush from something they know works well. Despite the costs. Even if Exchange is on par with BES now it will take years for things to transition.
    The one app that might make me jump to the dark side?

Skype.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Companies already have BES factored into their annual budgets. So most big companies will still be slow to move. Smaller companies will be more likely to give it a shot early on. And if Exchange is still not really up to BES's level when it comes to security companies can fully justify the added expense of BES. And it is less likely that larger companies will want to rush from something they know works well. Despite the costs. Even if Exchange is on par with BES now it will take years for things to transition.
    You would be suprised how quickly things can change when a company can save a lot of money. No doubt it will be 2-4 years, but I supspect the move will be very fast.

Just about 2 years ago GoodLink came out on the Treo. Today, over 5000 companies have moved from Blackberry to GoodLink. Take Exchange Activesync, and it being free... this should move a lot faster.
    And most companies have no need for Oracle but still pay out the nose for it instead of using SQL Server which is cheaper or MySQL which is free...

For smaller companies yea they use something other than Oracle. For the big companies using Oracle for years, they still use it and change slowly.

The transition will happen IF MS proves they are on par with BES in terms of push mail and security. But it will be slow.

If so many large companies were not still spending so much on things they don't need I might feel otherwise. The transition is faster for smaller companies.
    I won't upgrade because it's "Windows" based...ugh.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    These are the reason:

- 240x240
    - I'm not sure if WM 5 will give to me the same great one hand usability that make T650 a real phone, and a wonderful PDA. I hate to use stylus, expecially to perform basic phone tasks. WM 2003 SE is redicolus from this point of view.
    - Active Sync 3 (I don't know about AS 4, but what I want is not listed in new features) works great but it is poorly flexible for 3rd party developers. If you want to upgrate to a better PIM for example, AS won't let you have more Outlook fields like what happes in Palm OS with Beyondcontactc or Chapura Key Suite.
    - Microsoft office is poorely developed in WM 5 (even if it is better the WM 2003 SE). Dataviz DXTG for Windows Office files rocks compared to WINDOWS MOBILE 5!!!!!!!
    - I invested quite a lot money on Palm OS apps.
    - Waiting for 3G Treo 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    actually, I think Palm's hardware is good enough

basically - the Treo is a staple forever
    While I'll agree with both of those comments, it just makes me think that Palm is going to die soon. Their hardware is always just "good enough", never profound innovation coming from Palm before or after the Handspring acquisition. I don't blame them for calling a family of Treos 1 WM Treo for CDMA, 1 POS Treo for CDMA, 1 WM Treo for GSM, 1 POS Treo for GSM, etc....but what the market needs to see from long-term phone manufacturers is rapid phone development like Nokia, Motorola, LG, and HTC can churn up, not one phone with separate OSes and cellular radios. PUH-LEEZE!!! Regardless of what OS Palm uses, it's not going to help them out...plenty of other companies can spend their money better than the limp Palm can.

Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    the Palm OS is dead though -----

you're totally correct on Apple, Billo

Sadly, I don't think that Palm is even developing the OS X version of tomorrow's Mobile OS
    I used to think the same as you - Palm ruled and PalmSource drooled. While that was true one day. I believe the long-term prospects of each company will actually be the reverse. Palm will die and PalmSource will most definitely be reborn with whatever plan Access has in mind. Nobody pays $320+ mil unless they've got a plan for getting that money back. I definitely agree with others who say that the developer following will always trail behind for the frankengarnet release(s) until we see a Linux-based smartphone OS....AT WHICH POINT I CAN BREATHE A SIGH OF RELIEF THAT THE WORLD WILL SEE MUCH BETTER DAYS AHEAD!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy
    The one app that might make me jump to the dark side?

Skype.
    Hmm....can you get a data only plan with Verizon and the 700w?? And if you can, can you use Skype over EV-DO???
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast