Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Bottom line is that Palm REPORTED A TERRIBLE QUARTER YESTERDAY! The stock is down over 20%!!! So they needed to simply give up the fight!
    18%. And it regained some of that after market close. It actually wasn't a terrible quarter, at least not as bad as you might think from an 18% drop. Some market watchers pointed to the disappointing guidance for this come quarter as the reason for the market reaction. But that's pretty silly considering that new revenue from Windows Treos is not built into anyone's forecast for 2006. That is, next quarter's sales may be say, 20% below prior estimates, but looking a few quarters out, we're looking at 20% to 50% above estimates.

It'll be a good test of the market's efficiency (or lack therof) to see how long it takes to adjust for the introduction of the Windows Treo, which we've known about for a while.
    samkim, Palm was already supposed to be seeing great gains, which happend for a couple quarters and now has fallen off. Who's to say how Palm will do in the future. This benefits Microsoft way more than it benefits Palm.

I did not see the final after hours numbers for PALM but last time I looked they were down over $7 in after hours trading, which is over 20% from yesterday's close of 34 and change.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybr
    Palm could only blame themselves for making dumb marketing and business decision.
    Isn't this how Microsoft ran past IBM ?
    I just upgraded to a Treo 650 recently after using the Treo 600 for a year. I have a 500 minute plan and unlimited web.

My major need is speed, so anything that will give me an improvement in
    web-surfing will be good enough reason for me to make the switch.

That spells E-V-D-O. The extra memory is important as I don't like Z-Launcher. It
    seems too nerdy in its interface, in order to get the apps-on-SD card in same
    interface as apps-in-memory, which is a feature that should be on the standard
    Palm OS!

So I'm fine for the Treo 700w as I have not much money invested in Treo software.
    Probably $100 at most. However, I prefer to wait to see if the Treo OS will come
    out with EVDO. Strange that a windows ce version would be introduced and no Treo
    OS version. Sounds like Treo OS may not be long for the world but I can't imagine
    them hitting their base with a decision like that.
    OK PALM ended at 29.90 in after hours trading. At any rate the horizon is not so bright for them. They are doing the right thing joining forces with Microsoft.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Remember now, Palm is a HARDWARE company. Even if palm OS is (palmsource) is sold, ripped apart and dead, running on Linux or not, Palm inc. will still want to make hardware rergardless of what software it runs. They sell millions of PDA's. The TX and Z22 are about to come out. The Lifedrive is pretty much the premier PDA on the market and the T5 is no slouch. Palm inc will survive running windows, linux, palmOS, or whatever.
    I had HP jornadas in the past and could go back to a windows variant of some sort. 3 or 4 years ago the pocket PCs had true multi-tasking built in. The real issue for me is the third party software I have invested in. I got hooked on ereader.com about a year ago. i have almost $300. in books on an expansion card that won't be compatible. that sucks. in addition i have at least another $200. invested in other palm OS software. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles....
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Who's to say how Palm will do in the future.
    The analysts and the investors. They do it every day. But today, they only looked at the next quarter. They won't think about the following quarter until after the product announcement. I'm sure some of the analysts would love to revise their estimates, but they can't until they get more detailed information on Monday.

This benefits Microsoft way more than it benefits Palm.
    I'm not looking to start an argument, but I couldn't disagree with you more. Microsoft has already won the war over mobile OS in the US. They're bigger and faster growing. Palm's joining them just makes the victory sweeter. But this will have very little impact on Microsoft's earnings.

For Palm, it's a matter of surviving and thriving. They dominate the PalmOS market, but this move will allow them to tap the Treo brand and technology for entry into a new market. I think I recall Palm saying that the current Treos account for 2/3 of Palm's net profit (I'm not certain about this figure...) If the Windows Treo matches the sales of the Palm Treos, that's a huge impact to the bottom line.
    Its like this.

Microsoft has been putting together all the components over the years. One by one by one by one. Windows Mobile 5 may have things that are not as good as POS, but the FOUNDATION of the OS is there MS wins.

For example. What do most programers use to write their software? Miscrosoft Visual Studio .Net (VS.net). Did you know that VS.net has everything built-in to make it EASY and CHEAP to build applications for Windows Mobile 5 devices? Have you ever seen what it takes to write code for POS?

How about desktop/laptop compatability. Windows is the most popular OS by leaps and bounds. Microsoft made it EASY for Windows Mobile devices to connecto to them, share files, etc etc.

Interface? POS may be easier somewhat. Did you know that Windows Mobile looks and feels just like Windows XP? Scary, but by default people are going to be able to dig right in and use their Windows Mobile device .

Vendor support? Yep, Microsoft is very good to manufactures and partners. They are sooooo good at this. I am a Microsoft Partner and they send me free stuff (stuff I could actually use) every 2 weeks or so. I get invited to free seminars, events, training, etc etc. Microsoft has the relationship thing down. No wonder Samsung and the other ran away from POS and went to Microsoft.

Windows Media. Did you know that Windows Media devices with Windows Media Player 10 installed on them, support DRM purchased audio? Did you know that Microsoft has made this REALLY easy and painless. No doubt the phone and MP3 player were going to merge (I know we have done this for years, but I am talking market adoption). I really do fear for apple and the iPod. I think they may be a little too late.

Anyway, I am not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. I am not trying to say here that Microsoft Windows Mobile is better. I am just trying to show how POS got taken over and it was with better strategy and postitioning.
    dudes - the Palm OS is dead, as far as I'm concerned

as far as the Treo700w goes --- I'm definitely afraid that this is a guinea pig device

man, did we go through some probs with the 650's!

I might hold off on the Treo 700 ---- my buying decision will rely on this -

1. how well does it sync with MAC (if its better than Palm, I might just switch, as hotsyncing with Palm and Mac is atrocious)

2. I'll miss a better screen, but syncing is more important to me

3. EVDO would be extremely helpful -- if Sprint continues offering it at low prices, then going with the 700 might do it for me

at the end though, it all comes down to syncing for me

I'm very disappointed with the way that Palm OS works with MAC --- if WM works better, then I'm basically a sucker with $600 in my hand
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    the main thing, as well --

the Treo 650 was rushed out TOO QUICKLY

I think we all agree that things didn't start working SOLIDLY until 1.08 came out

Thus, Palm will put out a buggy product, as far as I'm concerned

I'll be curious how the initial users of the Treo 700 feel about its stablility
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    the main thing, as well --

the Treo 650 was rushed out TOO QUICKLY

I think we all agree that things didn't start working SOLIDLY until 1.08 came out

Thus, Palm will put out a buggy product, as far as I'm concerned

I'll be curious how the initial users of the Treo 700 feel about its stablility
    This didn't start with the 650 either! How about the Treo 600? Buzzing Radio anyone?!? I would say you had a 2 of 3 chance of getting a defective unit (not DOA, but after a few months).
    Quote Originally Posted by HasanDaddy
    dudes - the Palm OS is dead, as far as I'm concerned

as far as the Treo700w goes --- I'm definitely afraid that this is a guinea pig device

man, did we go through some probs with the 650's!

I might hold off on the Treo 700 ---- my buying decision will rely on this -

1. how well does it sync with MAC (if its better than Palm, I might just switch, as hotsyncing with Palm and Mac is atrocious)

2. I'll miss a better screen, but syncing is more important to me

3. EVDO would be extremely helpful -- if Sprint continues offering it at low prices, then going with the 700 might do it for me

at the end though, it all comes down to syncing for me

I'm very disappointed with the way that Palm OS works with MAC --- if WM works better, then I'm basically a sucker with $600 in my hand
    You will definitely need Missing Sync for this, I can't remember ActiveSync ever being supported on Macs, and it certainly isn't now.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    I'm not looking to start an argument, but I couldn't disagree with you more. Microsoft has already won the war over mobile OS in the US. They're bigger and faster growing. Palm's joining them just makes the victory sweeter. But this will have very little impact on Microsoft's earnings.
    I think you are forgetting RIM who is the real big dog in mobile devices. This gives MS a larger footprint in the space but MS's mobile division has been cash flow negative since it's inception. The expansion to Treos will help change that. I agree we have no need to debate the matter. We just see things differently.

I see Palm slowing, you don't. No matter, we're gonna buy whatever looks good at the moment .
    Quote Originally Posted by southbound747
    The real issue for me is the third party software I have invested in. I got hooked on ereader.com about a year ago. i have almost $300. in books on an expansion card that won't be compatible. that sucks. in addition i have at least another $200. invested in other palm OS software. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles....
    I think as the market changes this will also change. Tools will be developed for Windows Mobile. Some tool will come about to help convert some things, although not everything.

Don't fret. There's a market in the transition and somebody is sure to meet that demand .
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Perfectly stated. We'll know more by next Tuesday, but my thought is they'll come after us either in the spring with Cobalt or next fall with PalmLinux. Ed Colligan said that product cycles would be 12-18 months, so a 1.5 yr wait between new Treos is to be expected after the 700w.
    Link to the Ed Colligan statement, please?

All I can say to 1.5 years is, WOW...Palm really must not like money.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Link to the Ed Colligan statement, please?

All I can say to 1.5 years is, WOW...Palm really must not like money.
    this was asked in the Q&A on the conf call held this past thursday. see ir.palm.com.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The 12 to 18 month lifecycle comment was in response to an analyst's question towards the end of the earnings conference call Thursday. You can replay the call:
    http://ir.palm.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=105423&p=irol-irhome

I interpreted that comment (and its context) to mean that they'd be launching a new generation every year or so, with possibly multiple models each generation.
    I see the problem being that most of the attributes of the POS are finding themselves in the newer win ce os.

The overall usabilty of wm5 has really closed the gap on the treo/pos in this regard.
    And hardware, well take a look at the 6700-killer.

What does the palm os even offer at this point?

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by southbound747
    The real issue for me is the third party software I have invested in. I got hooked on ereader.com about a year ago. i have almost $300. in books on an expansion card that won't be compatible. that sucks.
    Is that really true? I hope not. I've got a lot invested in books from ereader.com. After reading your post, I made a quick run to their website. They do have a Windows Mobile version of ereader. And it looks like you should just be able to change your mobile device in your account preferences on their website and re-download the books. Is that not right?

Not that I'll necessarily be upgrading. It's just one more factor to consider.
    Not Upgrading for sure .
    I hate windooooze..
    I tell you though,T700 will sell like hot cakes . There are lots of Treo never seen Joe's .They do n't care about people like us .
    I think Treo will gradually become, what is ipod to MP3's.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast