Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I will be upgrading...its definitely a step up from the 600.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I will not upgrade for the following reasons:
    -Chatter Email on my Treo rocks and as far as a know there is nothing for Win Mobile that will push my AOL IMAP accounts almost instantly.
    -OTA updates for Palm is an amazing feature and it can be done so fast due to the size of Palm apps. I don't think it can be easily done for Win Mobile.
    -One hand navigation is supported for almost all major third party Palm applications and I love it. Even if the built in applications for Win Mobile support one hand navigation it will take a long time before it becomes a standard.
    -I'm 100% sure a Treo 700p is coming out sooner or later so there is no point in getting this device.

On the side note I hope you guys understand that this device wasn't made for us (Palm Treo users) it was made for all those frustrated Win Mobile smartphone users that wanted a Treo with Win Mobile in it. So it is not the end of the world, it is just an extra member of the Treo family.

Al
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I will be upgrading...its definitely a step up from the 600.

It's certainly a step up from the 600. If I had a 600 and was wanting an upgrade I'd choose the 650 first though.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    It's certainly not an upgrade to me - I'll never go back to a square screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    ...So it is not the end of the world, it is just an extra member of the Treo family.

Al
    I'm sorry , but it sure feels like the end of the world. This is like putting a Budweiser in a Coors bottle and saying it's just another line in the family. It's not. This is the first step in the extinction of Palm OS. Samsung ran out on POS right after the 500 (and that was a SWEET small phone). Sony dropped POS. Many third party Palm OS units have been rumored, but they now only come from Palm, and in only three flavors - Treo/Tungsten/Zire. Treo has now been compromised. You tell me what, in heaven's name, a Tungsten can do that an Axim x50/51v can't? Zire is no object of desire.

And top it all off with corporate America's love affair with Windoze. The WM5 built in support for push email from a Windows Exchange Server will put a kink in RIM's colon, especially since the Treo can do so much more, in a better form factor, than any crackberry.

Oh, the pain, the pain.....
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    If they had added built-in WiFi, at least that could have been called an upgrade. I don't want something sticking out!!
    I think I'm happy with my 650 for now.
    Unlocked 650
    I think you guys are missing the point - the target audience for (whatever it's going to be called) isn't a current 650 user, necessarily. They'll take that, of course, but the audience for this device are Pocket PC users who want a good device. Not you guys who already have 650s. Yes, they'll take your upgrade bucks if you want to spend them, but for those of you who feel slighted by 'hey this new device isn't all that much better than my current 650' - you shouldn't think along those lines. I know that's natural, but - this device is an attempt to EXPAND their market - new users, who might have a Pocket PC handheld and a cell phone, and want a single device. Yes, there are many choices there, and those are dangerous waters, but you EXISTING 650 users who are all up in arms about 240x240, and all your current apps investment, blah blah - you guys aren't who this device is targeted at.

Now - whether or not this device will/can/could effectively compete with the Moto Q and/or the XV6700, etc, the list goes on - that's another thread altogether, but don't get all beefed about the upgrade issues. They're going for net new users here. Not you guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I think you guys are missing the point - the target audience for (whatever it's going to be called) isn't a current 650 user, necessarily. They'll take that, of course, but the audience for this device are Pocket PC users who want a good device. Not you guys who already have 650s. Yes, they'll take your upgrade bucks if you want to spend them, but for those of you who feel slighted by 'hey this new device isn't all that much better than my current 650' - you shouldn't think along those lines. I know that's natural, but - this device is an attempt to EXPAND their market - new users, who might have a Pocket PC handheld and a cell phone, and want a single device. Yes, there are many choices there, and those are dangerous waters, but you EXISTING 650 users who are all up in arms about 240x240, and all your current apps investment, blah blah - you guys aren't who this device is targeted at.

Now - whether or not this device will/can/could effectively compete with the Moto Q and/or the XV6700, etc, the list goes on - that's another thread altogether, but don't get all beefed about the upgrade issues. They're going for net new users here. Not you guys.

Perfectly stated. We'll know more by next Tuesday, but my thought is they'll come after us either in the spring with Cobalt or next fall with PalmLinux. Ed Colligan said that product cycles would be 12-18 months, so a 1.5 yr wait between new Treos is to be expected after the 700w.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Perfectly stated. We'll know more by next Tuesday, but my thought is they'll come after us either in the spring with Cobalt or next fall with PalmLinux. Ed Colligan said that product cycles would be 12-18 months, so a 1.5 yr wait between new Treos is to be expected after the 700w.
    I'm still convinced we'll see one more FrankenGarnet upgrade (to a similar level as the 700w) and that will be the end of the POS development as a smartphone OS. We're on the slippery slope of the Windoze jaugernaut...
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I'm sorry , but it sure feels like the end of the world. This is like putting a Budweiser in a Coors bottle and saying it's just another line in the family. It's not. This is the first step in the extinction of Palm OS. Samsung ran out on POS right after the 500 (and that was a SWEET small phone). Sony dropped POS. Many third party Palm OS units have been rumored, but they now only come from Palm, and in only three flavors - Treo/Tungsten/Zire. Treo has now been compromised. You tell me what, in heaven's name, a Tungsten can do that an Axim x50/51v can't? Zire is no object of desire.

And top it all off with corporate America's love affair with Windoze. The WM5 built in support for push email from a Windows Exchange Server will put a kink in RIM's colon, especially since the Treo can do so much more, in a better form factor, than any crackberry.

Oh, the pain, the pain.....
    dstrauss,

It does feel like that because we do not want to accept Palm releasing a Win Mobile Treo. I felt like crap too when I saw the pictures on Engadget. It was like seeing pictures of your girlfriend with another guy after denying roumors of her having an afair. But Palm needs to make money in order to stay in business, and a Win Mobile Treo will make Palm stay in good shape.

Al
    dstrauss,

It does feel like that because we do not want to accept Palm releasing a Win Mobile Treo. I felt like crap too when I saw the pictures on Engadget. It was like seeing pictures of your girlfriend with another guy after denying roumors of her having an afair. But Palm needs to make money in order to stay in business, and a Win Mobile Treo will make Palm stay in good shape.

Al
    I agree, but am also reasonably concerned, as I will publicly admit for the first time, that this could indeed be the first step to the demise of the Palm OS

Let's face it, Palm did this because it was a good business decision, we all know that.

The problem......IMHO...this is going to all but KILL the sale of Palm OS Treos. Watch the next ten customers looking to buy a Treo (or any smartphone, for that matter) and see which 700 version they buy. I bet my local VZW and Sprint stores get in 2 POS version for every 10 Win versions & one of the POS versions will stay in back and collect dust!

Treo sales have been what's keeping the Palm OS alive, and now that it's offered with the recognizable and "compatible" MS Logo, how long will Palm and developers spend resources for the few of us who white-knuckle the POS version?

Edit: by the way...bad timing with the negative press due to the lawsuit, too.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Treolo & tbone-Ike

My crystal ball still sees the end of Treo POS smartphones by 2008. This will soon become VHS vx. Betamax (do you think that's why Sony got out of the Palm handheld space).

Palm has desperately wanted to crack the enterprise space, and this is the entre. Look at Monday's 9:00am press conference in San Francisco:

Cooligan + Gates + Strigl

THE HEADS of all three companies. Since when did Micro$oft or Verizon make this big a deal out of a cell phone release - ANY cell phone release. Gates didn't make this much out of Moto's move to Windoze, and in fact, Verizon didn't make this kind of splash for EVDO roll out.

Bye bye Palm OS - it was a great ride while it lasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone-Ike
    I will publicly admit for the first time, that this could indeed be the first step to the demise of the Palm OS
    It may if Palmsource doesnt get off the ball and come out with an OS that is updated.

Let's face it, Palm did this because it was a good business decision, we all know that.
    Its good for Palm, but not good for Palmsource (or the new company that bought it).

The problem......IMHO...this is going to all but KILL the sale of Palm OS Treos.
    Probably if its new smartphone users who migrate to it. The dedicated Palm OS people most likely will be left waiting in the wind for something (I think someone said next fall?)

Treo sales have been what's keeping the Palm OS alive,
    Anyone know off the top of their head what the percentage of pda units sold compared to treos?

Edit: by the way...bad timing with the negative press due to the lawsuit, too.
    I don't know if it will affect it that much...I suspect the lawsuit won't do much or go anywhere but who knows.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I felt like crap too when I saw the pictures on Engadget. It was like seeing pictures of your girlfriend with another guy after denying rumors of her having an afair.
    I've been trying to put into words how I felt since this announcement and that's it exactly!!
    But Palm needs to make money in order to stay in business, and a Win Mobile Treo will make Palm stay in good shape.
    This is true as well. The OS is out of their hands now and they are just ensuring the longevity of their company.
    Its about 470 000 vs 600 000. Still more PDA's than smartphones. Treo's have higher margins though.

Surur
    Here's a scenario which clarifies my opinion that the Palm OS will be a thing of the past

today-my local VZW store sells 4 PalmOS Treos per day.

Next summer, the will be selling 10 Treos per day, but only 1 will have the Palm OS (if that).

please tell me I'm totally wrong....I actually hope I am.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    I certainly hope, however vainly, that the Palm OS will survive on smartphones. I use Linux 99% of the time. As far as I know, syncing WindowsMobile with Linux is not going to happen. I would expect there to be problems for the Mac users also.
    Palm, please don't take my PalmOS Treo away!
    Zane
    I am glad this is happening. Now I will be able to continue getting new Treos and also have Slingbox compatibility .

The best of both worlds!

Bottom line is that Palm REPORTED A TERRIBLE QUARTER YESTERDAY! The stock is down over 20%!!! So they needed to simply give up the fight!

And MS's stock is stagnant. But they have a very big release pipeline on the horizon!:
    • New Version of Windows Coming
    • New Version of MS Office Coming
    • SQL Server 2005 Coming
    • New Version of Visual Studio Coming (VS and SQL launch already announced for 11/29/2005)
    • XBox 360 Coming in time for Christmas
    • AND NOW A WINDOWS BASED TREO!!

MS is setting up all the big announcements for some big sales and a BIG STOCK BOOST! YEA BABY!!!

What can I say, yea I picked up some of the Mr. Softy (MSFT) myself !
    The Windows Mobile GUI was taken more or less straight from Desktop Windows so that total beginners could become familiar with the device quickly. The fact that it is a WILDLY INEFFICIENT way to work with a device with limited memory and a small screen doesn't make itself known to a new customer until they've had the device for a while.

The Palm GUI was designed from the get-go to work well with a small screen, small memory footprint, and a stylus. Beginners who take to it find it to be an efficient way to work once they get going.

I have 4 clients who went from Palm to WM then BACK to Palm devices. I have none that went from WM to Palm and then back to WM. I think that's telling.

As for the gloom and doom predictions that this spells the end for Palm OS: consider the Mac. Despite some dark periods in its history, the Mac and MacOS continue to survive (and some would say "thrive") despite its paltry market share of between 5% and 10%, and there are tens of thousands of Mac applications available that do pretty much everything Windows programs do, but with style, flair, and efficiency. Does that sound like a familiar handheld OS to you?

Let me tell you, I worry not...

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Let's see M$ sits on a billion dollar mountain of cash that we could only dream of. Palm well, Palm is Palm and they should of listen to their customers and this might of never happen. I agree with darnell I'm glade this is happen. Palm could only blame themselves for making dumb marketing and business decision.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast