1.    #1  
    I'm an ex-Treo 600 and ex-Treo 650 user and I'm wondering how much ROM the Treo 700w has.

I currently have a WM5.0 device (the i-mate JASJAR) and I can tell you that the way it handles memory the ROM is the more relevant number and the ram is not very significant. I can't find any specs that list the ROM numbers though.

Does anyone know?
    64 MB apparently (64 ROM 64 ram)

Surur
  3.    #3  
    Ouch. That's gonna suck.

Stupid Palm, Always crippling there devices without enough memory.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    are you sure? i thought the minimum for WM5 was 96mb Rom
    most probably 128 as there needs to be room for OS, installed programs, and then space for the user to install programs. Teh 64RAM is only run space and not storage (for most things).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I agree with Antoine and Sledgie. Last time I owned a WM device the RAM requirements were steep. I am wondering if Sprint will charge a premium for the WM Treo as they have for prior WM phones that they carry. It appears that they have two pricing schemes based on Palm and WM from past experience. Anyone have any ideas?

Regards
    So far the other WM5 phones from HTC (like the 700w is) have 128 MB ROM of which ~44Mb is available for user storage/add on programs. WHile the RAM is also 64Mb, ~43 Mb of RAM is available after bootup with background processes/programs loaded.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    I agree with Antoine and Sledgie. Last time I owned a WM device the RAM requirements were steep. I am wondering if Sprint will charge a premium for the WM Treo as they have for prior WM phones that they carry. It appears that they have two pricing schemes based on Palm and WM from past experience. Anyone have any ideas?

Regards
    Sorry, Windows Mobile 5.0 doesn't work that way, they changed the memory structure so it operates more like a pc. It only runs programs in ram and leaves the rest in rom. The ROM numbers are a whole lot more important than the RAM numbers for this OS.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    So far the other WM5 phones from HTC (like the 700w is) have 128 MB ROM of which ~44Mb is available for user storage/add on programs. WHile the RAM is also 64Mb, ~43 Mb of RAM is available after bootup with background processes/programs loaded.
    that sounds about right, it's going to have to have at LEAST 96 megs rom and 64megs ram, iirc wm5 is about 88megs installed, which would correspond to what you are saying

as for the price, it's going to be in the same price range, $599-629 without contract. i could also see it going for $579, if this is released before Xmas and maybe the POS version has wifi included it could be a little more expensive
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    a little off topic here, but what kind of processor will it have? 400 MHZ? or 312 like the 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    64 MB apparently (64 ROM 64 ram)

Surur
    you are right it is 64/64
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    you are right it is 64/64
    where are you getting this information? on all wm5 phones to date, the rom plus carrier customizations is about 88 mb
    64/64 does not meet the recommended specification for WM5.0, but it does exceed their minimum.
    Last edited by Kupe; 09/23/2005 at 08:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    right, i think on normal PDA's it can be 64/64, but not on phones, due to carrier customizations. at least that's what i remember hearing somewhere... but someone prove me wrong! i think it would be funny to see another treo with bare minimum memory
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    i think it would be funny to see another treo with bare minimum memory
    And people say the Treo 700w is not a child of Palm! Its all part of the same penny-pinching family.

Surur