Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I've been looking into barcode readers for my Sprint Treo Pro. I've found 4 scanners that work for five types of 2D barcodes.

This basic intro to barcodes from a marketer's perspective is helpful, and is the source for these samples of all four 2D barcode formats:

And here is a QuickMark sample:

Quick code

You may have to use your browser to zoom these images bigger in order to scan them. Also, some of the destination links are dead, but this image is a really simple way to include all 4 styles for testing.

ALL .CABs attached below, or downloadable from links.

MobileTag - works for QR Code and Data Matrix - see notes below: Treo Pro is not officially supported

ScanLife - claims to work with all codes, but the WinMo 6.1 version only scans EZCode (their own code). Get it at getScanLife.com

Microsoft Tag Reader - reads Microsoft Tags. Download it at gettag.mobi or from the Marketplace.

Quickmark - I haven't gotten Quickmark to work on any of the above 2D or UPC, but I have gotten it to work on their own Quick code. Only software specifically for Treo Pro; it should also read QR, DataMatrix, and UPC. Couldn't get any to scan, which is unfortunate because they claim to support all formats, and they actually list the Treo Pro as a compatible device Software runs, but I couldn't get it to scan anything. Maybe somebody here can figure it out?

Now, some notes on Mobile Tag:
    • Won't download from Marketplace or MobileTag directly; they detect your TreoPro as incompatible. But I downloaded it here from my PC and emailed it to me. I was then able to install, and am running as an HTC Diamond (I picked that because it seems to have the smallest screen of all the supported models). Despite a crowded screen, it functions well. Preferences are a challenge, but there are few.
    • It scans UPC codes off my PC but not off any packages, and didn't process the UPC code it scanned (just hung there "retrieving data").
    • Sometimes left a process resident in memory exiting through the application. Used my ResInfo task manager to detect and kill it. This seems to be when the UPC scan hangs, and you have to hit cancel.
    • I wish there were a way to send links to Opera instead of IE.

Here's a 1D UPC barcode from Wikipedia:

Work in progress, please share your experiences!

Oh, and I'm playing with Java, too. That's the .jar file attached, a free scanner I downloaded from GetJar. It loads, and initialized camera once, but I haven't really gotten any good tests with it. Quickmark also has a Java app, but it was completely incompatible (wouldn't install).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rut Dog; 06/01/2011 at 03:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rut Dog View Post
    Quickmark - Couldn't get any to scan, which is unfortunate because they claim to support all formats, and they actually list the Treo Pro as a compatible device Software runs, but I couldn't get it to scan anything. Maybe somebody here can figure it out?
    I haven't gotten Quickmark to work on any of the above 2D or UPC, but I haven gotten it to work on their own Quick code:

Quick code

It is supposed to work at least on QR and Datamatrix, but I've still had no luck.
    Last edited by Rut Dog; 06/01/2011 at 03:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    REALLY IMPORTANT: Almost all codes/readers online only work when I enlarge them (CTRL + in my Chrome browser). I had forgotten that.