webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps > Anyone still using their Treo Pro?
Anyone still using their Treo Pro?
Like Tree1Likes

Old 04/04/2011, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

1st question:

Anyone still using their Treo Pro?

Still got it running on the Sprint network?

Why do you want to do it?

===========

2nd question:

You see my sig below that I am pretty much a Window mobile fan.

The recent WP7 makes me sick to my stomach. Maybe I want to have things pick up quick.

But I think I am jumping ship to Android and the Evo 4G. I think might well wait and get the 3D.

Last edited by chong67; 04/04/2011 at 03:01 PM.
chong67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2011, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

I still use mine but I have at&t
anberwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2011, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anberwa View Post
I still use mine but I have at&t
Amazing! You going to hang onto it until it died?
Old 04/05/2011, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

i'm still using my treo pro.
it's on sprint. great reception in the l.a./orange county area.
have had it over two years.
solid phone. never crashes.
have everything that i use on it.
i can do more things on it than most people can on their laptops.
just bought a palm battery on amazon for $12.
love the form factor. it's thin and smooth and an eye-catcher.
everyone thinks it's a blackberry at first because of the keyboard but they stop when they see the touch screen.
almost got a touch pro 2 but found it too thick and wasn't happy with the keyboard.
the treo pro is a classic.
going to use it until it dies...
analogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2011, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Same here. I just don't see myself upgrading to another phone anytime soon. I know that other newer phones have bigger screens, faster CPUs, etc., but I prefer the candy-bar one-piece form factor over sliding and virtual keyboards. The Treo Pro is very pocket-friendly and small enough to serve as both my mobile phone/PDA and MP3 player.

So, it's definitely the Treo Pro until something truly revolutionary comes along that will make me want to upgrade.
hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2011, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah I probably am going to use it until in breaks... I actually got the device late in the game when it was probably already obsolete
anberwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/07/2011, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi, Chong,

I've always enjoyed your posts over the last couple of years. Me and my wife are still using our Treo Pro's on Sprint (SERO 1250).

I still think it's the best phone I've ever had. It does everything I need it to do, and like one of the previous poster's, I rarely carry a laptop anymore because this phone makes it unnecessary!

We bought the Seidio high capacity batteries, and these phones will now go 2-3 days without recharging!

I've been tempted to get an Evo Shift (Android), but hesitate because:
1) I'd have to settle for a slide-out keyboard;
2) I'd have to change my SERO plan for one that costs at least $20 more per month.

So for now, We're still happy Treo Pro users, and will be for a while.

Let's not let this board go dead !
N5LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: chong67
Old 04/07/2011, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Still using? How about considering as my next device! LOL

Yup, after 3 years of beating on my Centro, I need a new phone. Sprint just gave me a new (refurbished) Centro, but I'm kinda tired of the small screen and no wi-fi. The refurb can be a good backup.

Sprint did offer me a free Epic -- gotta love retention/account services -- but even they can't activate it on a non-data plan. With a new data plan I'd be looking at an additional $40 per month on service. In 2 years, my "free" Epic would cost me $900, and I'd still have to keep paying! Bah.

So I did some research and found that there are a few smartphones that do NOT require data plans. They may (or may not) be charged the $10 premium data add-on, but they can definitely be activated on old or new non-data plans, with or without data packs (I have a messaging share plan with free data pack and other free add-ons from retention).

Besides the Centro and all the older Treos, these are the top candidates:
Windows Mobile....
HTC Touch series: Pro, Pro 2, Diamond
Samsung Intrepid
Palm Treo Pro
Android 1.5....
Motorola i1 (on iDEN)
I'm leaning against the i1 because it doesn't have QWERTY and iDen won't work on my Airave. But if I can test a Nextel phone in my house and it works, I'm going to consider it. But it doesn't have the greatest reviews out there either.

The Touch series seemed bigger and bulkier than I want.

Intrepid seems... well, like nobody seems to know much about it. Anyway, the screen is smaller than the Pro.

That leaves the Treo Pro, and I'm impressed because it seems to be a) a solid device (not perfect) that had a strong fanbase in it's time and b) is still actively marketed in some parts of the world.

I also liked the Centro-like form factor, especially the keyboard. The keyboard was one my my favorite things about the Centro, my favorite QWERTY of any I've seen on any phone.

Windows Mobile is something completely new to me, but this forum seems to be an incredible archive of information, and this thread indicates the forum is still surprisingly active.

Finally, I'll be contract free in March 2012, and would like to see what HP has to offer at that time with WebOS. Who knows, maybe Sprint will budge on the data plan requirement, especially if they start losing subscribers. Right now, they are riding high on Evo growth.

Any thoughts? I welcome your input.

P.S. My smartphone history:
2001 Kyocera 6035 (Why didn't Sprint ever get the 7135?)
2005 Samsung SPH-i500 (loved it! Why didn't Sprint get the i550?)
2008 Palm Centro
2011 Palm Treo Pro???

Last edited by Rut Dog; 04/08/2011 at 02:21 AM.
Rut Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2011, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

There's a bit of a learning curve going to WM from PalmOS. It will likely take you some time to get used to what is a radically different OS.

Having said that, I don't believe I could ever go back to PalmOS. The ability to multitask, having segmented memory protection, and 3G/WiFi/GPS all make PalmOS seem, frankly, like a toy. Not to say that WM is perfect; but it's far more advanced than Palm's old offering. WM also can take quite a bit of tweaking to get it to function the way you'd like. You get out of it what you put in!
hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Rut Dog
Old 04/10/2011, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

SERO keeps you on older phones, so I just actually bought a treo pro on ebay. I'm looking forward to it.

BTW, does anyone have this file? "Ebag RealVGA 96DPI Resource Pack.cab" the links in the forums are broken. I'm wanting to use ebag's real VGA when my pro arrives
hansbuehler#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2011, 04:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yep, still here still using it on Sprint. Its still a really solid phone. I tried the Pre & Pixi but I just didn't like them. (Loved WebOS...just not the phones.)

I keep waiting for Sprint to 'Wow' me with a phone, but honestly, only the 2 screened Echo has me interested.
Old 04/15/2011, 12:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

used treo pro on sprint till last month..then switched to verizon and got.....drum roll..........a treo pro!
xxsupergman25xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2011, 05:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

I still use mine after more than 2 years (GSM on Rogers). Still love the form factor, still a sexy phone IMHO. Does everything I need. Love the pen input even with all the new finger touchscreens. Windows Mobile is an underrated OS. Physical keyboard is a must.

Thinking about upgrading to a Pre but will wait for a while. Like the OS. Not enough apps on it though, no more Epocrates (a must for my work).

Last edited by ExpoFan2069; 04/15/2011 at 08:32 PM.
ExpoFan2069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/18/2011, 10:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

My next phone is going to be Evo 3D.

I always have been a WM fan since my first PDA device.

This will be my first Android phone.
Old 04/20/2011, 10:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

I am still using my unlocked Pro on AT&T. (Got my wife the Nokia N8 as she takes more photos and videos than she talks on the phone and the camera is terrific.) Other than video and camera there is nothing else I need that the new generation of phones provides. I have all my work applications set up and syncing well. Pocket Tunes for music is fine. I don't need to fly remote control helicopters, control my TIVO, play Angry Birds etc. The phone as entertainment system doesn't matter to me as I am busy with real life.....
I will look at the new HP phones, but won't jump as they probably won't offer the tools I need. (I still prefer my one handed physical keyboard as well, use it that way all the time......)
jazzdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2011, 12:23 AM   #16 (permalink)

Still using mine on Verizon, migrated from Alltel.
thevorlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2011, 02:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Still using my Treo Pro, 2+ years now, Why, It works, It does everything I need it to do and I like the form factor. I won't lie, I would like to upgrade just to get a new phone, I am with Sprint on a family plan with my wife and father in law, I just cannot justify the price jump that will happen if I decide to upgrade my phone to a new smartphone, I am the only one that uses data and in the end it would likely cause a $40 to $50 per month increase in my bill just for me to have a new "fancy" phone. So I will likely ride the TP into the ground.
Scott559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/29/2011, 03:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott559 View Post
I won't lie, I would like to upgrade just to get a new phone, I am with Sprint on a family plan with my wife and father in law, I just cannot justify the price jump that will happen if I decide to upgrade my phone to a new smartphone, I am the only one that uses data and in the end it would likely cause a $40 to $50 per month increase in my bill just for me to have a new "fancy" phone. So I will likely ride the TP into the ground.
Ditto. Substitute daughter for father-in-law, and we are in the same plan situation -- however I'm upgrading from Centro to Treo Pro, so it's "new to me".

Tell me about apps: what are the best apps that work and are up to date. As an example, I can't get YouTube to work right, and the Facebook app is out of date as well.
Old 04/30/2011, 11:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

Well, until yesterday I was...
Am about to post this as a new thread, but others might see it here so:
My JUST out of warranty Treo Pro (unlocked, using AT&T) has two issues. The first is the worst. The micro USB connection on the bottom has gone bad. No matter if I use the car charger, a microUSB charger or the factory sync/charge cable it won't stay connected. If you don't keep it exactly still, even a tiny movement "unplugs" it and stops the sync or charging. In the car it's nearly impossible to keep it connected more than a few minutes at a time.

The battery issue is weirder. SOME of the time when I can get it connected it charges normally. But more often, it indicates x%, charging for a long time, but the level of charge goes DOWN the longer I have it connected. I've heard of batteries that won't take a charge, but not ones that sometimes will and sometimes won't...

Any ideas? So far all I've had any luck with is removing the battery and trying again. Worked for a while, now the Treo is just a brick. Charge light comes on, but no response.

I really don't want to send Palm $199 if there is a simple fix, but don't want to spend $40 for a new battery if the phone itself is dead.

Ideas, anyone?
scubafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2011, 12:15 AM   #20 (permalink)

a dealer on amazon has palm brand batteries for about $12...just bought one and it seems to be good and holds the charge..don't know how new they are but for the price it's working good.
analogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0