Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    1st question:

Anyone still using their Treo Pro?

Still got it running on the Sprint network?

Why do you want to do it?

===========

2nd question:

You see my sig below that I am pretty much a Window mobile fan.

The recent WP7 makes me sick to my stomach. Maybe I want to have things pick up quick.

But I think I am jumping ship to Android and the Evo 4G. I think might well wait and get the 3D.
    SERO does not keep you on older phones (to the person who said that...) lol I'm on SERO...

Do your homework before moving over to android... I played with them for a while, then decided it was going to be Blackberry or Windows Phone 7.... after testing the Arrive, I feel in love...

Read my review here: HTC Arrive - Windows Phone 7 - SprintUsers.com

Anyway, I went from the Palm pro (which never worked, and palm would not fix since they were moving to their new OS), to the TP2. TP2 was the best phone I ever owned, until I received my Windows Phone 7 (Sprint Arrive).

There is no way I could go back to windows mobile 6... no way. WP 7 is light years ahead of it in every way possible... and every other mobile OS on the market.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Went from a used Centro (first touch screen) to a used Pre and just bought a used Treo Pro but haven't switched to it yet. I thought I'd like the Pre more than I do - I picked up my Centro a couple of weeks ago to get some info off it and it just felt so good in my hand. I am so sick of needing to slide the keyboard out on the Pre, and the flicking is only cool sometimes - others its a pain. The Pre is also very slow - even with the overclock patch. Anyway the Pro feels nice like the Centro. The only thing holding me back is figuring out how to get Pandora on the Pro - I just started listening to the comedy stuff and really like it for my commute - wierd reason and I know I'll eventually switch anyways.

Anyone running pandora on their Pro - easily done?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Livermoron View Post
    I picked up my Centro a couple of weeks ago to get some info off it and it just felt so good in my hand.
    I can totally relate! I am transitioning to Treo Pro from Centro, and while I get more used to the Treo Pro more every day, I can't stop feeling that the Centro was just a very well designed phone, especially that keyboard. I guess it is a love/hate kind of thing, because a lot of people complained about it, but my BIG FAT FINGERS just work great on the Centro keyboard.

The Treo Pro is satisfactory, and maybe after a while I will be just as comfortable with its keyboard, but I doubt it. The Centro keyboard was surprisingly good for me from the beginning.

But the Centro doesn't have wi-fi, GPS, and the other stuff that the Treo Pro has, including Pandora, which you can have up and running in about 15 minutes. Get the app from XDA, and apply zbop's tweak which fixes cutoff issues with Treo Pro. See links in my post here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...ml#post2953749

Now, would you care to share your comedy station? Sounds interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rut Dog View Post
    Now, would you care to share your comedy station? Sounds interesting!
    Just type in a comedians name - I've been using Jim Gaffigan and people like Daniel Tosh and Demitri get mixed in. I've listened to about 4 hours worth of stuff over 8 drives and have only heard a couple of repeats.

I'll check-out the thread on Pandora - Thanks
    Last edited by Livermoron; 05/18/2011 at 12:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    SERO does not keep you on older phones (to the person who said that...) lol I'm on SERO...

Do your homework before moving over to android... I played with them for a while, then decided it was going to be Blackberry or Windows Phone 7.... after testing the Arrive, I feel in love...

Read my review here: HTC Arrive - Windows Phone 7 - SprintUsers.com

Anyway, I went from the Palm pro (which never worked, and palm would not fix since they were moving to their new OS), to the TP2. TP2 was the best phone I ever owned, until I received my Windows Phone 7 (Sprint Arrive).

There is no way I could go back to windows mobile 6... no way. WP 7 is light years ahead of it in every way possible... and every other mobile OS on the market.
    This post makes me want to ask everyone about other choices. Despite the charging port problems my Treo Pro otherwise works well, but I'm getting tired of all the apps being for Win7 only...

Here's my question: Is there a viable GSM option for me if I want to have all the features of my Treo Pro, especially the qwerty keyboard? I only rarely use the WiFi, but I use the HDPSA nearly every day. I know there is a new Blackberry (9300?) touch that seems to do most of the things my Pro does, but I wasn't sure about apps for it, and also about using their servers. I've never even considered a "crackberry" before. Can they multitask? My Pro can browse internet and use my calendar while I'm on a call...
    Will it work everywhere my Pro does with AT&T or just where there are Blackberry servers?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    1st question:

Anyone still using their Treo Pro?

Still got it running on the Sprint network?

Why do you want to do it?

===========

2nd question:

You see my sig below that I am pretty much a Window mobile fan.

The recent WP7 makes me sick to my stomach. Maybe I want to have things pick up quick.

But I think I am jumping ship to Android and the Evo 4G. I think might well wait and get the 3D.
    Well, I'm still on the fence on OS... I'm tired of Win6.1 and DO want to be able to use some apps. I'm still leaning towards WP7 just so I can still easily sync to my Outlook. Don't know if Android can do that, and I'm somewhat concerned about the malware from droids too...

I just saw a new phone I might replace my Treo Pro (AT&T) with: The Dell Venue Pro. Here is a link to Cnet on it:

First impressions: HTC HD7, Dell Venue Pro | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

Other than the Dell, Here's my question: Is there a viable GSM option for me if I want to have all the features of my Treo Pro, especially the qwerty keyboard? I only rarely use the WiFi, but I use the HDPSA nearly every day. I know there is a new Blackberry (9800?) touch that seems to do most of the things my Pro does, but I wasn't sure about apps for it, and also about using their servers. I've never even considered a "crackberry" before. Can they multitask? My Pro can browse internet and use my calendar while I'm on a call...
    Will it work everywhere my Pro does with AT&T or just where there are Blackberry servers?

Thanks for the input!
    After a few days of searching and trying various fixes I gave up trying to get my new Windows 7 laptop to sync with my new to me Treo Pro. 90% of the time the computer wouldn't even acknowledge the phone was connected. But in addition to that I couldn't get used to the Win 6.1 OS - too many menus to do simple things. I couldn't believe it when I finally tracked down the alarm clock feature in the settings/sytem folder. I really liked the form factor but decided to go back to my Centro - and I am much happier for it. Everything is just so straight forward to me (I know some of it is because I had the Centro so much longer - but the messaging is even better than on the Pre to me). I was able to get it to sync with my Outlook after one update! OK, so I can't stream Pandora and don't have true GPS or WiFi - but for me the simplicity is making up for it. BTW, I'm using Centro-1.07-SPNT
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    After a few days of searching and trying various fixes I gave up trying to get my new Windows 7 laptop to sync with my new to me Treo Pro. 90% of the time the computer wouldn't even acknowledge the phone was connected. But in addition to that I couldn't get used to the Win 6.1 OS - too many menus to do simple things. I couldn't believe it when I finally tracked down the alarm clock feature in the settings/sytem folder. I really liked the form factor but decided to go back to my Centro - and I am much happier for it. Everything is just so straight forward to me (I know some of it is because I had the Centro so much longer - but the messaging is even better than on the Pre to me). I was able to get it to sync with my Outlook after one update! OK, so I can't stream Pandora and don't have true GPS or WiFi - but for me the simplicity is making up for it. BTW, I'm using Centro-1.07-SPNT
    Liver, you might need to check installation for the WMDC Windows Mobile Device Center from Micro$haft.com... When I get the cable to properly connect to the worn out microUSB port on my Treo Pro (on AT&T) I can sync to my Win7/64bit desktop OR laptop. You need to have WMDC installed BEFORE you can make it sync to Outlook though. Any version of Outlook works. I have version 2003 on the desktop and 2007 on the laptop. If you lack Outlook and don't want to buy it you might look on Cnet, etc for Open Office. I THINK it has a free version of Outlook in it.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the advice - but I've moved on - or back actually. My old Centro is the ticket - just needs a little graphical updating.
    I'm still on a Treo Pro (tired of Win Mobile really) on Sprint simply because i have an ancient plan from 2002 that comes out to less than $35 (tax included, 750 mins/N&W @8pm/unltd data/sms/mms, roaming) that i'm not giving up.

Downside is i can't get in on all the Android/BBerry/WP7/webOS action because they want me to nearly triple my bill by switching to a minimum $79.99 Everything plan which will come out to just over $90 with taxes !!! Heck no.

Thankfully, when the Motorola Triumph launches on Virgin Mobile, i'll be adding their $25 plan as a "second" line.

Trying to force someone to pay $90 for a cell phone bill mothly is ludicrous. I don't know how some folks do it.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Went straight from the 650 to the Pro in 2008, haven't looked back since.

It's a solid phone. Even though it may be a bit dated now, it freezes far less often than any of my friend's or coworker's droids. Restarting it once a week with the TreoCentral "Reset" app does the trick for me and seems to avoid freezing in the first place.

Having a 32GB microSD and RDP capability REALLY makes the phone useful for me. Haven't tried too many apps lately--having Windows Media, Opera, and Remote Desktop is enough for me.

Only complaint is that Windows Media pauses briefly in the middle of a song sometimes (maybe a few times per album--more so if you're multitasking on the phone, but that's understandable). Anyone know of a good alternative that seamlessly plays music without pausing or stuttering?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdoasis View Post
    Only complaint is that Windows Media pauses briefly in the middle of a song sometimes (maybe a few times per album--more so if you're multitasking on the phone, but that's understandable). Anyone know of a good alternative that seamlessly plays music without pausing or stuttering?
    look for an old freeware player called Microfi Nitrogen and let me know what u think. i'm a very casual music user, so im curious if it works well for u as more of a power user.
    and WOWHD is great audio improvement app
    You guys are probably going to groan... but I am still happily using my Treo 800w CDMA with Win 6.1 on Sprint SERO (the old unlimited data plan). It is an early issued one so maybe I was just lucky. Nothing can touch how fast the Treo 800 keyboard is.
    It provides 3g/gps/wifi and tethers to my laptop great.

When out of the country I use a Treo PRO GSM with a sim card suitable for the country I am visiting. Both phones sync with Outlook 2007 so my calendar/contacts/email are always available. The 800w got the bad rap for battery life so I just carry a spare 1150ma battery as a backup. I have since noticed that many smart phones that came after the 800 and Pro are also very hard on batteries.

Love those new big phone displays. I usually buy in when the used price of the phone model is around $100-$200. Learning a new OP system not real desirable so this better be worth the pain. Daily high priorities are tethering, remote desktop, email , calendar, contacts, telnav (sprint) navigation, pdf viewer, texting, real estate data base, financial calculator, weather panel, BT printing PDF's using Jetcet to a canon portable inkjet printer.
    Less critical priorities, playing mp3's, movies on TCPMP during flights, camera, video recorder, Tomtom navigator in no service areas using BT Delow GPS fob.

I use these phones for a wide variety of applications so maybe WP7 would allow me to use old Win 6.1 apps too as I upgrade? Like the look of the HTC Arrive but then heard stories of it not syncing properly with outlook 2007? Just like Chong where do I go next? Droid, Apple or WP7?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cr4west View Post
    I am still happily using my Treo 800w CDMA with Win 6.1 on Sprint SERO (the old unlimited data plan). ...
    Love those new big phone displays. I usually buy in when the used price of the phone model is around $100-$200.
    What about your plan? What are you paying now, about $35? You and I both are looking at double or more in plan price ... easily $450 a year or more, forever.

That's how I landed on Treo Pro.
    my unlocked initial release pro recently died and I got a veer. I was pretty happy with the pro until it started breaking down. It started to lockup and resets sometimes took hours. The end came when the charging port stopped working. I had to laugh at how the phone would charge enough to boot, but couldnt sustain enough power to finish the process. It was stuck in a loop where it would start up then shut back down. It served me well though.

I am extremely happy with the veer even though I wanted the Pre. Veer and touchpad seem to be about perfect for me.
    Just got mine yesterday... New old stock. Switched from Blackberry 8330. so far, I am not too impressed. No push (instant as it comes in) email.... And still getting used to how everything works. I have prior experience with a WM5 device (Moto Q).

And yes on Sprint....
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    my unlocked initial release pro recently died and I got a veer. I was pretty happy with the pro until it started breaking down. It started to lockup and resets sometimes took hours. The end came when the charging port stopped working. I had to laugh at how the phone would charge enough to boot, but couldnt sustain enough power to finish the process. It was stuck in a loop where it would start up then shut back down. It served me well though.

I am extremely happy with the veer even though I wanted the Pre. Veer and touchpad seem to be about perfect for me.
    Cubby, my port died too. What I do now is swap batteries. Got a universal charger on Amazon and a sprint 1590ma battery for $6 on Ebay.

But, my 2yr old Pro is getting long in the tooth and I'm also unable to find useful apps for WM6.1 so I'll be replacing this if I can find something viable. I'm after either Android or WM7 for the OS, so crackberries are out. Their newest has nice features but I don't want the BB OS...

Has anyone heard of any new models that have a good touchscreen AND qwerty? I intensly dislike virtual keyboards, as I enter things by touch when I speed dial people. Can't do that on a pretend key. I use AT&T and would need a GSM phone

Other than video, which is too tiny to bother with anyway, my Treo Pro has done everything I need it to do. Too many phones out now are either smartphones with NO qwerty or "messaging" phones without the capability the Treo has.

Ideas, anyone?
    I just stopped using it after 2 years on contract. I SMASHED it dust.. I HATED that phone. Always freezing, shutting down, slowing down, not opening things, running out of battery life in 3 minute after a full charge, touch screen not responding in certain areas, over heating, i can keep going. I really really hated it.. so i took a 30 pound sledge and smashed it, over and over and over! It felt good. I waited till it ****ed me off though to truly take out my anger for the thing. I couldn't be happier without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xBlackxBlood View Post
    I just stopped using it after 2 years on contract. I SMASHED it dust.. I HATED that phone. Always freezing, shutting down, slowing down, not opening things, running out of battery life in 3 minute after a full charge, touch screen not responding in certain areas, over heating, i can keep going. I really really hated it.. so i took a 30 pound sledge and smashed it, over and over and over! It felt good. I waited till it ****ed me off though to truly take out my anger for the thing. I couldn't be happier without it.
    Reminds me of this scene from Office Space.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I know this post is a couple of months old but it reminds me of me, I tried a couple of windows mobile PPCs, I went back to my trusty Treo 700, then on to a Treo 755p, I do miss the GPS, I never used Wifi so don't miss it.
    In my opinion most of the new clones, I mean phones are just a bunch of eye candy, to bad the real PDAs are becoming a thing of the past, fortuneitly I have two or three back ups for my 755p.
    Terry
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast