1.    #1  
    I've been using my Treo Pro for about 6 months now. I think that's long enough to offer a fair review from a pretty average phone user. I had used a Centro prior to my Treo Pro, and I owned a couple of Zire PDAs for a few years before that. I always had very good experiences with Palm.

I use my Treo Pro with AT&T. I am one of the weird people who want a smart phone but don't want to pay an extra $360 a year for a data plan I don't really want. I like having a qwerty keyboard and wi-fi and MS Office though, so I have my Treo set to no-data-access via a simple No Data program. AT&T still assumes I am using the little flip Nokia they gave me three years ago. But anyway...

This is a phone that I really really want to love. It's the perfect size and weight. I can type well on it. I like the screen. I love the wi-fi. It even looks cool, as people take note very frequently and ask to see it closer. However, despite all that, this phone just has never been one I am honestly that happy with. Had I paid full retail for it, I would have returned it. But, I still find myself WANTING to love it...which just never will happen. Here are some of my gripes/issues:

* There has always been a delay when trying to navigate to contacts. Not a real big deal, but honestly, isn't that one thing a phone should do flawlessly? Mine has always had this delay and waiting period to finally open the contacts page.

* Why the *#@! does it seem like an impossible chore to delete a line of text messages? If a person has sent me a string of texts and I try to delete them, it takes forever to delete them...if it even will delete them at all, which is more often the case. Seriously, shouldn't any phone be able to delete text messages rather effortlessly?

* The alarm that came with this thing sucks. I hate it.

* The calendar is clumsy compared to previous Palm OS devices I liked. Also, maybe I am blind, but why can't I be more specific when setting appointment times? It's set to 30 minute options. That seems mindless.

* The camera will sometimes lockup and then do a soft reset of the system when taking a photo in bright daylight. I have no idea about that one. Freaky. A major PITA when it happens.

* Seriously, the person who designed the stylus for this phone should be beaten. They snap like a crayon in the hands of a gorilla. After breaking the first one, I made a point to be careful with the 3-pack I ordered. Those have all snapped now and I have had to order more.

So why didn't I return the phone? Under normal circumstances I would have sent it back for an exchange. However, I bought it from Dell, and they no longer carry the Treo Pro. I like some things about the Treo Pro and have probably given it more of a break than I should have based upon those and my fondness of previous Palm products. I may still end up talking with Dell and seeing about trading for a different Winmo phone of similar price range.
    Quote Originally Posted by preza View Post
    * There has always been a delay when trying to navigate to contacts. Not a real big deal, but honestly, isn't that one thing a phone should do flawlessly? Mine has always had this delay and waiting period to finally open the contacts page.
    This is only an issue the first time you open the contacts. Once it's open, (and unless you forcibly close it via the task manager), it should be faster to access it afterwards. I do agree that it should open up much faster (even initially), but that's due to Microsoft's rather inefficient database system.

* Why the *#@! does it seem like an impossible chore to delete a line of text messages? If a person has sent me a string of texts and I try to delete them, it takes forever to delete them...if it even will delete them at all, which is more often the case. Seriously, shouldn't any phone be able to delete text messages rather effortlessly?
    Again, it's a matter of the inefficient database system Microsoft uses in Windows Mobile. Making sure not to let too many text messages accumulate is probably your best strategy for avoiding this delay in the future. I had about 1200 text messages built up on my device last night, and it took a good 15 minutes to delete them all (including messages in the Sent Item folder).

* The alarm that came with this thing sucks. I hate it.
    Agreed, although there are some Registry tweaks you can try to increase the alarm repeat interval. I bought CT AlarmClock for $5 and this solved all of the problems I had with the built-in Windows Mobile alarms.

* The calendar is clumsy compared to previous Palm OS devices I liked. Also, maybe I am blind, but why can't I be more specific when setting appointment times? It's set to 30 minute options. That seems mindless.
    I agree that the stock calendar is rather lacking. I use Agenda One as my default calendar, and it is absolutely incredible, with many different options and settings available.

* The camera will sometimes lockup and then do a soft reset of the system when taking a photo in bright daylight. I have no idea about that one. Freaky. A major PITA when it happens.
    I use the camera quite often, but I can't say I've seen this happen with me. What I have noticed is that sometimes the Camera app "darkens" the phone's screen, and to get around this, I kill the Camera app with the Task Manager and restart it in order to get things back in order.

* Seriously, the person who designed the stylus for this phone should be beaten. They snap like a crayon in the hands of a gorilla. After breaking the first one, I made a point to be careful with the 3-pack I ordered. Those have all snapped now and I have had to order more.
    I rarely use the stylus. I have Registry tweaks and button software which runs on my device that allows me to perform 99% of the necessary navigation with the physical keys. The other 1% I just use my fingers.