Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gdharvey View Post
    yeah I forgot to mention I tried that to no avail....AND read some of the "it's now too loud" posts but I'm in the other crowd not experiencing that.
    When you say you tried that to "no avail", what exactly do you mean? Were you unable to install the CAB file? Did the volume not increase? Did the WOW SRS control panel widget not appear? I installed it on my GSM TP last year and have not had any issues whatsoever.
    I don't see many Palm's any more. Palm is outdated. Sure HTC made a killer device for Palm but Palm is dead.

I am preordering my iPhone 4 tomorrow. My employer is paying my monthly bill now. You couldn't give me Palm device and pay for my monthly service. I do miss the glory days of the 700wx back in 2005. Its the reason I visited this place often. Palm is dead and now the forums have followed. They had a good run I guess.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    When you say you tried that to "no avail", what exactly do you mean? Were you unable to install the CAB file? Did the volume not increase? Did the WOW SRS control panel widget not appear? I installed it on my GSM TP last year and have not had any issues whatsoever.
    installed correctly, boosted the "speaker" volume - that part is o.k., but still not to my liking using headphones as media player during traveling (airplanes for ex) - as said before it is (can be) drowned out by other noise. I used my 650 w/Volume Care as my media player during travels w/no problems - plenty loud, true sound, no side effects (distortion etc). My headphones: I have the small in ear Bose and a cheaper Sony pair that stay in the ear better (for running).
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I don't see many Palm's any more. Palm is outdated. Sure HTC made a killer device for Palm but Palm is dead.

I am preordering my iPhone 4 tomorrow. My employer is paying my monthly bill now. You couldn't give me Palm device and pay for my monthly service. I do miss the glory days of the 700wx back in 2005. Its the reason I visited this place often. Palm is dead and now the forums have followed. They had a good run I guess.
    It is as a PDA, but I just picked up a treo 650, nothing does movies, games, and the like like a palm, Little johns palm is the best emulator ever made, and I have even been thinking of activating it to use as my phone/PDA, I still love them.
    Terry
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Just gave my wife my Treo Pro. I'm now using my Touch Pro until my number on my local Sprint EVO waiting list is called. (Should be later this week.)
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Since WM as we know is comming to an end, and Palm fully abandoning any further development of the Treo line, I had to ponder my options. I have been a long time Palm OS/WM Treo user but WM is quite dated and won't have any significant development beyond WM6.5. As I see, active application development and support for this OS will gradually come to an end.

I have played with WebOS; the OS part is amazing in it's simplicity and power, but as per Palm's usual business model, it was released on sub-par hardware and crippled in functionality. I don't see much in the way of serious development for this platform in it's current state. The recent acquision of Palm by HP does nothing to change my gloomy outlook on Palm's WebOS future either.

I recently picked an HTC Evo and so far I am quite impressed with Android OS. The hardware is quite good although it has some issues as with all high end devices. More importantly, I have access to most of the business software I had in WM under Android and for those that are not available, there are very capable alternatives on the Android market. Apps are cheap (most are free), stable and very easy to install and remove from the device.

I believe I will move to Android OS at this point; WM has been officially EOL'd by Microsoft with the introduction of the non-backward compatible - and for what I have read, non-tweakable - Windows Phone 7 system.

I have very much enjoyed the Treo line over the years but sadly is time to say goodby and move on. There is no denying that the Treo line was THE revolution on the smartphone market and a trail blazer. Sadly Palm fell asleep on it's Treo laurels and everyone else soon leaped far, far ahead.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Just out of curiosity I am visting this site again. I am still a member since I had a sprint treo pro for about a year and a half.
    I use to say the treo pro did everything i needed, but my only complaint was that the screen was to small. I hated the size of the screen. Using the web was so annoying with the small screen. Anyway, I have had an EVO since the release. I'll say this... Its like going from night to day. The device is so imppresive, it does so much more so well. The way it all ties together is amazing.
    Try it and coming from the treo pro (which was fine in its day) you will be amazed. three thumbs up!
    What ever you want, get it done at www.esitebid.com. Where competition bids value!
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by makad View Post
    Just out of curiosity I am visting this site again. I am still a member since I had a sprint treo pro for about a year and a half.
    I use to say the treo pro did everything i needed, but my only complaint was that the screen was to small. I hated the size of the screen. Using the web was so annoying with the small screen. Anyway, I have had an EVO since the release. I'll say this... Its like going from night to day. The device is so imppresive, it does so much more so well. The way it all ties together is amazing.
    Try it and coming from the treo pro (which was fine in its day) you will be amazed. three thumbs up!
    I need a full front keyboard, or I would have jumped already.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    I certainly agree with you on this sentiment. The Treo form factor has an advantage in terms of ease of use.

I do find Android and the Evo more remarkable everyday, I will never go back to WM at this point. However, despite all it's prowess as a mobile computing device, the Evo is neither as functional as a phone nor as one-handed friendly as the Treo Pro was.

For me the Evo works well since I use my smartphones mostly as an extension on my computer - web searching, email/SMS and database computing - more than a voice communiaction device. For these, the Evo is certainly an exceptional and powerful beast. For picking or dialing that occasional call while driving, or opertaing some other piece of machinery, the Treo form factor wins hands down.

BTW, if one-handed functionality is not top on your lists of features, the Evo's virtual keyboard is very usable given the large screen size.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 07/03/2010 at 10:50 AM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
    Go over to the ppcgeeks.com TP forum and try one of the new 6.5.x ROMS. I've been using IconROM and I love it. There's also a bunch of RaiderROM's that look really good. (And, he seems to be the major chef there these days.)
    Why switch to 6.5? One of my issues is that most apps are IOS, Android or WM7...

Is there any way to bring my Treo Pro up to WM7? Or is the 400mhz CPU too weak?

In that case, is there anything WITH qwerty out there that isn't a Blackberry?? My Pro does everything else I need, just want a faster OS and ability to get utility Apps like UPC code readers, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by scubafan View Post
    Why switch to 6.5? One of my issues is that most apps are IOS, Android or WM7...

Is there any way to bring my Treo Pro up to WM7? Or is the 400mhz CPU too weak?

In that case, is there anything WITH qwerty out there that isn't a Blackberry?? My Pro does everything else I need, just want a faster OS and ability to get utility Apps like UPC code readers, etc
    Look at the date...
    Global Posts
    486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    NRG, you said it all! I went from Treo 650 to Treo Pro without too much of a problem, but WM6.1 is SLOW opening programs, and even switching between takes longer than I thought. To be honest, that still puts the Pro ahead of my old 650 even before the 3G and WiFi. But the Calendar, alarm and note feature was far more user friendly in the 650, and while the blazer browser was slow, I liked the way it offered a simple way to add the parts of web addresses that you use so often (the www, .com, .org buttons, etc)

But now My 2yr old Pro is getting long in the tooth. I'm unable to find useful apps for WM6.1 and the microUSB port died as well. So I'll be replacing this if I can find something viable. I'm after either Android or WM7 for the OS, so crackberries are out. Their newest has nice features but I don't want the BB OS...

Has anyone heard of any new smartphones that have a good touchscreen AND qwerty? I intensly dislike virtual keyboards, as I enter things by touch when I speed dial people. Can't do that on a pretend key. I use AT&T and would need a GSM phone.

Other than video, which is too tiny to bother with anyway, my Treo Pro has done everything I need it to do. Too many phones out now are either smartphones with NO qwerty or "messaging" phones without the capability the Treo has.

Ideas, anyone?
    Treo 300 to 600 to 650 to 700 to Treo Pro.

Other than a few days playing with a HTC device, I have had a Treo since I first left and old dual analog-digital phone, which was around 2002 or 2003.

I am sure ****ed at Palm - HP for screwing this up. (First abandoning Palm OS, then WM, then today WebOS).

I would jump to the Motorola XPRT if it had 4G WiMax. Was hoping such a variant of the phone was close, but now worried about Motorola... Might still be using the Treo Pro in 2012...
    Global Posts
    486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilme2 View Post
    Treo 300 to 600 to 650 to 700 to Treo Pro.

Other than a few days playing with a HTC device, I have had a Treo since I first left and old dual analog-digital phone, which was around 2002 or 2003.

I am sure ****ed at Palm - HP for screwing this up. (First abandoning Palm OS, then WM, then today WebOS).

I would jump to the Motorola XPRT if it had 4G WiMax. Was hoping such a variant of the phone was close, but now worried about Motorola... Might still be using the Treo Pro in 2012...
    wilme2, that phone looks interesting... Kind of like their Droid Pro. While I also want 4G, for me the other issues are the lower resolution screen compared to the gorilla glass and AMOLED displays out there. Plus for me the xprt won't work because I've been happier with AT&T GSM than I was on Sprint. If only the Atrix had a keyboard! The docking feature, the hi-res display and the dual core CPU sound great, but as I said earlier, I ONLY want a physical qwerty. I strongly dislike even the haptic virtual boards.

I WILL keep an eye on the xprt in case they upgrade it to GSM & 4G...

I'm not sure if I CAN keep my Treo Pro working until 2012... The external charger & spare battery are not too bad, but I can't easily get it to sync either, which is a pain in the ---
    Global Posts
    486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I played with an Evo.
    I played with a Pre.

I just can't figure.
    I know I'm older, and learning new things may be more difficult, but really...
    I really so much prefer the Treo Form Factor.

I just can't bring myself to move on.
    I know this forum is pretty much a ghost town, but I still love my Treo Pro.

"You give me all I need" - Scorpions
    Berdinkerdickle , I've posted in this thread but never actually commented on this post. You aren't out of it for thinking the Treo Pro form factor is best! I also appreciate being able to spend most of my time using my Pro one handed. Yes, the slide out keyboards allow a nicer, bigger screen. For me as long as the screen has good resolution smaller is fine! I use my Pro for READING from news or other text oriented sites, making and getting calls, and most importantly I use it as a PDA so I DON'T have to carry a dayrunner! Hey, look at how sucessful the Blackberry has been, despite a rigid OS and being stuck with their mail server...

My Treo does almost everything I need it to do. I just wish I could update my Treo Pro to WM7 so I can get some useful apps like gasbuddy! (and replace the bad microUSB port...)
    Of course, 4G would be nice, and an AMOLED display...
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I can't remember, does Bing do fuel prices, I know Windows love did, and that was great, but can't remember with Bing.
    Personily I wouldn't count on WM7 being around all that long, they came to the game to late, look at WebOS, and what has happend to it!
    Windows would have been better off to stick with what they had, and just bring it up to date instead of trying to jump into the iClone race, now I am afraid they are going to die, there are still a few Windows 6.5 devices being made and sold, but they are business only, and way out of the price rainge of most of us.
    Terry
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12