Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Palm have abandoned Australia so I'm looking for an exit strategy to something else to replace my Pro if it should go belly up.

I originally just jumped into the Palm with a 750 and was blown away and upgraded to Pro when they came out.

I'm aware that the Pro is made by HTC and they are available in Australia but I want to make an informed decision if I need to find another mobile.

Is there a HTC model with the same Contact and Calendar as the Pro?.

Looked at a BB 9700 briefly and was impressed but didn't have time or opportunity to make a valid comparison.

I like the Pro, in particular I like the calendar and contacts function and was wondering if any others had done a comparison with the BB 9700 and the Pro.

I understand that HP have bought Palm but there is no other info about them returning to Australia if at all.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by bille; 05/19/2010 at 07:02 AM.
    Treo 750 WM6.0 + Treo Pro WM6.1
    Carrier:Telstra Australia NextG (3G).
  2. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Hello there, I went from the 750 to the Pro to the 9700. The two OS are entirely different ofcourse. I am not sure what kind of comparison you are looking for but the BB is excellent with all messaging and web browser has a slight edge as well.

I was very happy with the Treo Pro but I feel the BB to be a good choice as well.

The Calendar and Contacts are on par with the Pro, although the contacts are handled differently.

If you give me some specifics maybe I can give a better comparison.
    Last edited by charlyee; 05/18/2010 at 10:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Thanks for the reply...I particularly like the calendar to be able schedule appointments, also for other permanent reminders (Wife's birthday etc).

The contacts list where I can enter a fair bit of detail (Work numbers, address, fax & email addresses etc) I've never been a great one for using a diary but the Palm has converted me 100% to the point if it isn't in the mobile I forget about it to the point of being embarrassed when I miss appointments (Could say it's ruined my memory).

I like the stylus and touch screen functions of the Palm but understand the BB 9700 is easy to use and I've been told I will get used to using only the qwerty KB instead of the combination touch/qwerty I use on the Palm.

Predictive text would also be very handy.

Also is the BB capable of multifunction like the Palm ie: the ability to check Calendar entries or Contact phone numbers while engaged on a call.
  4. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Yes, the calendar can schedule appointments and events including recurring ones.

The contact list can hold a large number of details and multiple phone numbers as well.

The non touch screen took my some time to get used to, the keyboard is very nice, it is better than the Pro but not as good as the 750. It has a trackpad which I really like.

It is fully capable of multi tasking same as the Pro. I believe it has suggestive text as opposed to predictive and has auto spell check.

The 9700 has been more user settable options. But one thing that frustrated me initially was that the access to them was not intuitive and seemed to be buried rather deep.

I am not familiar with the system in Australia but the best would for you try one out before committing to buy.

Also, you maybe aware of this already but all BBs need to be on either a BIS or a BES plan to be able to fully access the internet and do E-Mail.

The one ongoing issue that I have had and see many others struggling with it, is that WiFi is a little fickle and not as dependable as the Pro and other WM devices.

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    charlee...Thanks for your interest and input it's really appreciated.

In Oz it's not easy to get your hands on one to 'Fiddle', in most carriers shops they usually have them in a glass case and you can't really get your hands on them to have a meaningful examination.

My carrier has them on display and they are tethered to the display with cable which is ok I guess, you can have a bit of a 'Fiddle' but because they are the only carriers that do this and then only in some shops (Not the franchised shops) everyone is lined up to try them so you're under some pressure to hurry up.

I might try to get in there early one day next week when they're not so busy and see what I think.

One other thing were you able to sync the info on your Palm to your BB or did you have to do it manually?

The BB BIS and BES seem to change from carrier to carrier in OZ and there is a fair bit of argument about what carriers are charging for.
    Last edited by bille; 05/19/2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Clarity
  6. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Glad it helped some.

It was impossible not to be interested, you mentioned two of my all time favorite devices in the same sentence.
    Please Visit My Other Hangout
    Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Palm Treo 750 > Palm Treo Pro > BB 9700.