1.    #1  
    My Treo Pro is crashing/freezing from the minute I soft reset it. It cannot connect to anything and almost the instant i try to open anything it just freezes, and no combination of buttons will do anything to get it out the "screen off with time showing" screen. At first it started when I just open up SMS messages, but then it just spread to the whole phone. I cant make/receive any calls, nothing.

I have had this problem, but only with SMS, a few months ago. I kind of just left it alone it the phone started working fine after a day. My phone has been like the for 2 days, and it just wont die .

Is there anything I can do short if hard resetting? Also, how do I restore/back up everything. Does it automatically do that when it connects to my computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
    My Treo Pro is crashing/freezing from the minute I soft reset it. It cannot connect to anything and almost the instant i try to open anything it just freezes, and no combination of buttons will do anything to get it out the "screen off with time showing" screen. At first it started when I just open up SMS messages, but then it just spread to the whole phone. I cant make/receive any calls, nothing.

I have had this problem, but only with SMS, a few months ago. I kind of just left it alone it the phone started working fine after a day. My phone has been like the for 2 days, and it just wont die .

Is there anything I can do short if hard resetting? Also, how do I restore/back up everything. Does it automatically do that when it connects to my computer?
    IF you have both ActiveSync AND a compatible [data] conduit installed (read: Microsoft Outlook, etc), AND the phone can still sync when you connect it to your computer, it will back up your Contacts, Memos, Pictures (IF you have it set that way, but if you have your photos being saved to a SD card the backup is not "necessary" as a hard reset will not wipe the card) and other things.

SMS messages will NOT backup unless you have an SMS backup program system installed. Note that this doesn't sound like a good idea for you right now anyway - it sounds to me like your cemail.vol file, located in your device's root directory, is corrupt.

If you can sync the Treo Pro do so, get all the other info you want off by copying the files to your desktop, then hard reset.

BTW, if your SMS / mail file was very large this is the source of your corruption. You CANNOT let the SMS / mail files get too large otherwise Pocket Outlook blows up. As I've mentioned before this is not a situation that is exclusive just to Windows Mobile - BlackBerries blow up BIG TIME if you never delete and purge their message files, as well. You have to do housecleaning occasionally.
  3.    #4  
    Probably right. it wouldnt do anything, so I just had to hard reset it. No backup or anything I lost everything, except for all the stuff that synced from before, but I dont have Microsoft Outlook, so all the important stuff is gone

How does that file get corrupted? Any way to prevent this in the future? Is it necessary to have Outlook to store your contacts?
    OK, we'll start from the most important.

No, it really isn't necessary to have Outlook to store your contacts. At the minimum you can use the Treo Pro's built-in backup system, Sprite Backup, to save backups of the Contact / Messaging system to a MicroSD card.

Second, you can use Microsoft's free cloud-based backup system, MyPhone, to back up the Contact / Messaging system (to your online, free Microsoft Live profile). Download MyPhone via this link and then simply make sure you have a free Microsoft Live account to sync to. If you have a Microsoft Hotmail account you will also be able to access your Contacts database from inside Hotmail to send mail, as well. Once MyPhone is installed, build a preferred sync schedule to back up to the cloud (at least once a week is recommended, more if you need the security).

As for not having cemail.vol get corrupted, as I said you must clean out your mail system occasionally and simply not let it constantly build to ridiculous sizes. This is the best reason to use desktop Outlook in conjunction with a Windows Mobile device: you can set your phone to only retrieve messages from the server versus retrieve and delete from the server. By leaving the messages on the server when using the mobile device you can retrieve, then delete from the server, the messages by using Outlook from your desktop PC for long-term HDD storage. The next time you retrieve messages using your mobile device, after retrieve/delete by using your desktop, the mobile device will automatically contain ONLY the very latest messages from the server AS WELL as any files you maintained in the desktop's Outlook Inbox (sync'ed to the mobile device automatically via ActiveSync).

With this configuration you get the best of all worlds: access to your new messages, Contacts schedules and other things from your mobile device; long-term storage of these data structures in your desktop device which is better designed to handle such a task; and the ability (by ActiveSync settings) to access any saved messages from the desktop you wish to on the mobile (by setting ActiveSync to sync the Outlook folders you choose). Doing so allows your Mobile device to be exactly that - "mobile", an extension of your desktop rather than a replacement (which it really can never be because it simply will never have the storage and processing ability).

If you don't want to use Outlook (but remember, that's what the system was designed for), try

Syncdata

Note that all of the above only deals with emails; SMS messages are not backed up nor synced. Clean out your SMS message queue occasionally otherwise it'll blow up the system.
    Last edited by dinoSnake; 04/25/2010 at 02:29 PM.