1.    #1  
    Hello
    I do not have a gps software for my mobile phone because I cannot afford one right now. I was wondering if there are apps out there for gps driving turn by turn that are affordable and on top of that, are there any traffic applications I can use. I travel from like Richmond VA to Trenton NJ on a regular basis and I was wondering if there was any way for me to get some of help when I am traveling through my phone

Thank you in advance, I am sorta new to the game.

Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by coachpelkey View Post
    Hello
    I do not have a gps software for my mobile phone because I cannot afford one right now. I was wondering if there are apps out there for gps driving turn by turn that are affordable and on top of that, are there any traffic applications I can use. I travel from like Richmond VA to Trenton NJ on a regular basis and I was wondering if there was any way for me to get some of help when I am traveling through my phone

Thank you in advance, I am sorta new to the game.

Coach
    The only cheap one I know of is Amaze GPS, found here: amAze - Free maps and affordable GPS Navigation for your mobile phone! . It's free. Since TomTom doesn't sell US & Canada maps with Navigator 7, I had to find an alternative. This one works pretty well. Since I live in Baltimore, I haven't really checked out how well it deals with the northeast corner where highways shift weekly based on construction to I95 & the Baltimore Beltway. Other than that, everything else seems to work pretty well.
    Phones: Cingular 8525, GSM Treo Pro, Tilt 2
    i know with sprint the nav software that comes with the phone is free and displays traffic alerts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    For simple and cheap, use the Google Maps app that came with the phone, it does traffic and will track with GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgfoley View Post
    For simple and cheap, use the Google Maps app that came with the phone, it does traffic and will track with GPS.
    Or dowload Bing for WM; GPS functionality, and turn by turn navigation. Did I mention is FREE.

Just point your mobile browser to m.bing.com/download/ to get it.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 04/22/2010 at 12:39 PM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Go over to Sprint and sign up for an Everything Data plan. I got a 450 anytime minute plan. Don't let that fool you, they give you unlimited minutes to AND from "ANY" mobile at ANY TIME, Period. That means you use the 450 anytime minutes from 7 to 7 when a call originates or ends up on a landbased line. This really is a ridiculous deal. This plan also includes UNLIMITED data usage and Sprint Navigation for free, unlimitedly, with UNLIMITED messages of any sort, pics, text, video. They throw in a bunch of other stuff and you can do like I just did and get a 10 percent discount when you say your a member of a credit union. I had to name off a bunch of credit union's to get the credit. The rep will work with you. Then make sure you get an Arkon car mount and some epoxy from Walmart to mount it on ur dash. I got mine paired with an AVH-P5100DVD Pioneer receiver which allows me to bluetooth the audio over my speakers(this includes Windows Media Player audio from songs and stuff through my car speakers, Sprint Navigation turn-by-turn directions from the automated operator... etc etc. You just have to download jetwaremobile to get it to connect which is like 10 bucks. I have a stickshift so all I gotta do is hit the "voice" button on the touchscreen of my car stereo receiver and with the phone set into the Arkon mount I can voice dial hands-free and speak through the mic that my installer mounted above my head by the visor. This setup is amazing. My finger from the stickshift is about 2 inches away from the "Voice" button on the touchscreen so it's really hasslefree. The Sprint Navigation GPS system is really extraordinary and it's all realtime with no lag. I rarely have any issues with it and it has all neat sorts of search capabilities and stuff. You can't go wrong. So again, it's $63 dollars a month for almost unlimited calling and if you need more landline minutes they have the 900 plan for 89.95 minus 10 percent is 81 dollars or so with the discount. This plan beats anything on any other carrier, period, and they have great data. The only time I get dropped calls with my Treo Pro is in an elevator, and never have problems with data, period.

This setup works great with my Treo Pro because of the form factor of the Treo Pro which has the QWERTY keyboard on the front of the phone without having to slide a keyboard out. When I make calls that I have to hit a key for, for example a voicemail password, all I gotta do is press a couple times on the QWERTY while the phone is in the mount of the Arkon. Most phones nowadays make you slide out the keyboard which wouldn't work at all. I mean, you'd have to take the phone out of the mount.

One thing to add is that the Arkon comes with a round piece that you mount on the dash, but the sticky that it has will easily allow it to come off the next time your car is parked in heat so that's why I used epoxy to glue it to the dash. Then the main part attaches to that piece via a suction cup which allows you to easily take the main part off any time. It's really a great setup. The hard part is making sure you due a good job gluing it. Most epoxy says it will cure in 24 hours which I found is not the case, especially since the leverage of having your phone in the mount and slightly out towards you will make the glue come undone if you don't put enough glue or let it cure long enough. It takes about a week for the glue to set and hold, and this seems to work best when u do park ur car in the heat as it appears the glue will expand and contract and get stronger and stronger. Just make sure you don't try to mount the suction cup frame with the phone in it before atleast a week, especially while the dashboard is hot, because it will come off and u'll have to reglue it. Mine appears to be set perfectly and will hold strong for a lone time.
    Last edited by holmesnmanny; 04/23/2010 at 02:37 AM.
    Skyfire mobile web browser FTW

'Cause Internet Explorer Mobile is junk and gets no support from Microsoft.

======================================

Sprint Treo Pro with Skyfire mobile web browser
    Quote Originally Posted by ooxteme View Post
    i know with sprint the nav software that comes with the phone is free and displays traffic alerts
    It doesn't seem to be free if you only have Power Vision. It worked for me once and since then it just prompts me to sign up for one of two deals.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.