1.    #1  
    I've had my Pro for over a year now (and had my Treo 650 for eons before that), and despite its many hiccups still prefer the form factor over all others (I've also got the HTC Fuze and an Itouch, so I know from other form factors and operating systems!). Recently, it decided to get stuck in headset mode and despite following every bit of advice on these forums (plugging headset in and out, cleaning out with WD40, qtip, pressing mute three times while standing on one foot - the works) I could not fix it. And of course it's out of warranty. So my question now is, is it worth buying again? I see people saying they've gotten them for under $200, but I don't see those options around anymore, and even on ebay you don't seem to be able to get a new one for much under $240 (and I am leery of used ones).

So...do people think it's worth buying again now new for ~$250? Or does anyone have any ideas where to get a new one cheaper at this point? Or do people think I should switch to the pre/pixi?? I'm sort of a diehard Winmo gal at this point (the few, the proud...) but I'm also skeptical about shelling out real cash for a two year old piece of technology when I could just reup my contract with AT&T and get one of the newer offerings for much less (esp if I wait for the new GSM pre/pixies to come out), so opinions on whether this is still the top device for its class/form factor are appreciated. Thanks!
    You could try posting in marketplace; "want to buy"

As much as I love my Treo Pro, I wouldn't pay more than $200.

If my Pro broke right now, I'm not sure if I'd just buy another WM device with a similar form factor as a treo, or what.

As much as I'm tempted to move to the Pre or Pixi, I just keep thinking of all the apps I have that do all I need with WM.

Tough choice for sure.
    Just call me Berd.
    There were some other methods to fix being stuck in headset mode that you may have not tried.

I'll go see if I can find the posts.

One had something to do with Windows Media Player.
    The other was to plug in the headset, start a call, and then unplug the headset mid call.
    Just call me Berd.
    It's a long thread, but the Pre, the old Treos, and Treo Pro seem to have this similar issue:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...sound-fix.html

I had it with my 650, but fortunately never with my Treo Pro.
    Just call me Berd.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks so much for the tips, berndinkerdickle - I had actually seen that thread before and slogged through the whole thing, trying every single suggestion (including the one about media player), but all to no avail. That's why I think that I need to buy a new one. I've spent days and days on this, scouring the entire internet, trying everything anyone suggested. The ONLY suggestion I saw that I didn't try was from a different thread, where one guy physically dismantled his entire phone and randomly poked at some switches with a toothpick, and then put it all back together. Miraculously, this worked for him but I don't think I am enough of a techie to pull off that trick. I'm sure I couldn't put it back together correctly. The thing is, I can still use it with a headset (though not in speakerphone mode like some other people who have had this same problem have been able to), so I'm not totally desperate, but I have spent enough time on this issue to feel sure that I can't fix it and I need a new device.

So...that's why I'm asking for opinions on whether it's worth buying the Pro again.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    You could try posting in marketplace; "want to buy"

As much as I love my Treo Pro, I wouldn't pay more than $200.

If my Pro broke right now, I'm not sure if I'd just buy another WM device with a similar form factor as a treo, or what.

As much as I'm tempted to move to the Pre or Pixi, I just keep thinking of all the apps I have that do all I need with WM.

Tough choice for sure.
    I'll say, oy!! It's nice to know somebody feels my pain, though...
  7. jbb
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I'm using unlocked GSM Treo Pro. My next phone will be something with BIGGER CAPACITIVE screen and more STANDARD screen resolution.
    Have you tried backing up and doing a hard reset? Another thing to try is to download the WOW SRS software which will allow you to switch between headset and speakerphone mode. Might be worth a shot at this point...
    I feel your pain. Although the phone is outdated, there is really nothing wrong with it as it does everything I need. However, if it were to break or for whatever reason Sprint decided not to replace it, I have no clue what phone I'd move to. I'm a WinMo guy 210%. I know I couldn't see myself paying anything over $50 for a new Treo Pro. I think Samsung makes a lot of front facing keyboard, WinMo phones.
    Try plugging in your headphone then sliding the vibrate switch back and forth slowly, then take out the headphone and do the same thing.
    Did you try finding a place to service it? It might be only 50 bucks or so to fix it.
    I know you tried everything, but I still wanted to post this:
    Quote Originally Posted by jstew10 View Post
    Or shoot somecompressed air into the hole. Works for me every time, sometimes just by blowing in there.