Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. bille's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have 2 mobiles a Palm Treo 750 Win 6.0 and a Palm Pro Win 6.1, I have never been able to get either to connect to check for updates via START>SETTINGS>SYSTEM>WINDOWS UPDATE.

    I'm in Perth western Australia, time/date/location etc are all set correctly, including DST.

    If I try to check for updates I get the Pop-up that says "Connection to update server was not available. Check your data connection settings and ensure the device date and time are correct."

    I'm pretty sure my data connections are fine because I have a data pack on my phone plan and I can send/receive emails.

    My carriers are TELSTRA Australia and OPTUS Australia.

    Am I missing something, are there no updates available or is the Update Server never/not working?

    Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by bille; 04/04/2010 at 02:54 AM.
    Treo 750 WM6.0 + Treo Pro WM6.1
    Carrier:Telstra Australia NextG (3G).
  2. jbb
    jbb is offline
    jbb's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #2  
    You are not alone. The unlocked GSM Treo Pro I have has the same issue.
  3. #3  
    No luck here either, and today is the first time I've taken the time to wait for the error message. I may start wondering about this and that may lead to me worrying about it.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  4. #4  
    I am pretty sure this is addressed in another thread...but I don't believe there are an updates for Windows 6.1 through Sprint.
    Treo 700P : Sprint Treo Pro since March 09
  5. scubafan's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    #5  
    Hi I've tried for 10 months to update my Pro. Called level 2 tech at AT&T and I was told that the phone Co itself is preventing it. Therefore you have to get them from Palm and then add via active sync.

    He sent me a link to a page on the Palm website that I haven't yet had the time to try, and that I now can't find anymore and this:

    SUBJECT:
    Determine the OS and Firmware (ROM) Updates on a Palm Device

    ADVISORY:Informational Only | Unsupported: This solution is intended for informational purposes only. AT&T provides network, billing, and provisioning support for the wireless voice and data networks. AT&T does not provide technical support for Treo updates. AT&T makes no warranties, expressed, implied or statutory, as to the content within this solution; such content is provided "as is" and with all faults, and your use of the content is at your own risk. Questions regarding this solution or any additional Treo update support must be directed to Palm at palm Support
    NOTE:
    For information on determining the OS and firmware (ROM) updates, please visit the Palm Knowledge Library.
  6. #6  
    same problem here

    has anyone found an easy solution?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by scubafan View Post
    Hi I've tried for 10 months to update my Pro. Called level 2 tech at AT&T and I was told that the phone Co itself is preventing it. Therefore you have to get them from Palm and then add via active sync.

    He sent me a link to a page on the Palm website that I haven't yet had the time to try, and that I now can't find anymore and this:

    SUBJECT:
    Determine the OS and Firmware (ROM) Updates on a Palm Device

    ADVISORY:Informational Only | Unsupported: This solution is intended for informational purposes only. AT&T provides network, billing, and provisioning support for the wireless voice and data networks. AT&T does not provide technical support for Treo updates. AT&T makes no warranties, expressed, implied or statutory, as to the content within this solution; such content is provided "as is" and with all faults, and your use of the content is at your own risk. Questions regarding this solution or any additional Treo update support must be directed to Palm at palm Support
    NOTE:
    For information on determining the OS and firmware (ROM) updates, please visit the Palm Knowledge Library.
    Which makes sense. The phone is stock Palm, no customization for AT&T. The OS is stock MS, no customization for AT&T. The unlocked phone will make calls on any GSM network, the same for data except T-Mobile USA. In order for AT&T to be responsible for OS updates & add-ons, they'd have to take some degree of responsibility for the phone. Not likely with any carrier when there's nothing on the phone to tie you to their network.

    As for updates, there have been 2-4 that came through Palm, fixes that were specific to the Treo Pro, but not specifically WM 6.1 I've never seen anything come from MS to update WM 6.1 & I've never heard of any for other phones, either. Anything that was an update for a WM 6.1 phone was for a specific phone not a generic WM 6.1 fix.
    Phones: Cingular 8525, GSM Treo Pro, Tilt 2
  8. #8  
    I've been with WM since 2006 and have never gotten any update using Windows Update.
    I always wondered why it was included when it never worked.
  9. #9  
    Microsoft clearly doesn't want you to update. They want you to upgrade. That means more revenue for Microsoft. They don't really support either their mobile operating systems or their mobile browsers. It's quite absurd.
    Skyfire mobile web browser FTW

    'Cause Internet Explorer Mobile is junk and gets no support from Microsoft.

    ======================================

    Sprint Treo Pro with Skyfire mobile web browser
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by holmesnmanny View Post
    Microsoft clearly doesn't want you to update. They want you to upgrade. That means more revenue for Microsoft. They don't really support either their mobile operating systems or their mobile browsers. It's quite absurd.
    M$ is not necessarily my favorite company. But there's more good reason with WM not to send out generic updates than there is to do it. Only unlocked phones don't have carrier specific customization to the UI & the OS, which may include parts left out or disabled. That's also true for manufacturer specific customizations. A generic update might enable something they shouldn't by contractual agreement with the carrier or phone manufacturer. And some customization may need specific updates so an update doesn't break things. In that, WM is closer to linux in design than to Windows. Which is why, when M$ has an update, they let the carriers & phone manufacturers know & it's up to the manufacturers & carriers to decide whether or not to include an update.
    Phones: Cingular 8525, GSM Treo Pro, Tilt 2
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I've been with WM since 2006 and have never gotten any update using Windows Update.
    I always wondered why it was included when it never worked.
    I'd suspect that it does work, but just hasn't been used because most people buy phones from the carrier. Both carriers & manufacturers modify the UI & the OS. M$ would have all kinds of "fun" with their reputation & lawsuits when generic updates broke a phone's functionality. Or changed how part of the OS functioned (or didn't function) according to contractual agreement with a carrier or manufacturer. Which is why the manufacturers & carriers have the choice to include an update or not. They can tweak it as necessary or have M$ tweak it, but then it's a carrier or manufacturer update, not a generic M$ update.
    Phones: Cingular 8525, GSM Treo Pro, Tilt 2

Posting Permissions