Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I have a Sprint Treo Pro. I ski quite a bit and have noticed that the batteries in the STP are draining very fast when I'm skiing (cold weather). This is my 3rd different Treo model and the first time I've had a phone drain exceptionally fast while skiing.

Thoughts? Opinions?
    Actually, if it is draining faster it might actually have to do with a weak signal in the remote ski area and not as likely the cold. Actually cold weather should slow down the activity and hold a charge longer, all things being equal.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I do know what you mean by poor signal draining batter fast. But where I ski the signal is pretty good.
    Colder day=faster drain.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkco View Post
    I do know what you mean by poor signal draining batter fast. But where I ski the signal is pretty good.
    Colder day=faster drain.
    I am from Fla and when I take my phone skiing with me I experience less battery for sure. If you take the battery out and warm it in your hands, you will find you have more battery.

I for sure do not know the science behind this, but it seems the cold compresses the available battery power an uses it in bigger chunks.

I am a scuba diver and the deeper you dive the more compressed the air in your tank becomes because of the pressure. With each breathe you are using twice as much air at 66 feet then you are at 33feet.

I bet something similar is going on only related to temperature instead of pressure.
    Molecular activity slows down as things get colder, so perhaps electrons or whatever sends the electricity to the device slow down thus registering less charge.

Next time you ski note where the battery level is and then go inside, pop out the battery and warm it up and then reset and see where the level is...
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Batteries are wee-devils that don't like weather extremes. Li-Ion batteries in particular are very touchy about them being exposed to too cold or too hot weather.

Now, it is not that the battery is being drained, but that the chemistry inside is getting "frozen" and the batteries cannot move those electrolytes as easy as when they are warm. In theory you should recover the battery life once it gets back to more cozy temps.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    It's chemistry. Expect your battery to drain more in cold when exposed to the cold. Think of a car battery that is left overnight or longer in frigid weather. One consolation is that when not in use, some batteries -at least- will discharge less quickly in the cold. I keep a set of charged rechargables for my keyboard in the refrigerator.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.