1.    #1  
    I came across an article about how having aGPS can actually lengthen the time to get a lock on unlocked phones. I am having lot of issues with my GPS and lately it took as long as 15 mins to get a lock despite fresh QuickGPS data download. I wonder if the cause explained in the article could be an issue. Can anyone confirm if unlocked Treo Pro has a standalone GPS or aGPS? If its aGPS, how can I turn it off??
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    The treo pro has gps but it's plagued by bugs. There are several threads about this on the palm forums. I'm one of the affected ones, my gps location is off by about a mile at all times.
  3. jbb
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    The treo pro has gps but it's plagued by bugs. There are several threads about this on the palm forums. I'm one of the affected ones, my gps location is off by about a mile at all times.
    Really? Fortunately mine works fine.
    Have you tried to have Palm repair it by warranty?
    My STP is right on the money using Bing Maps or Google Maps. Scary accurate considering, actually - less than a 8-foot error, it seems, while I am walking.

Again, the unit was not accurate (nor even functional in Bing Maps) until I turned on Location services. When Location services was not on (autonomous GPS, which the STP is capable of) Google Maps bounced my location often and/or took a long time to lock on; once turned on (assisted GPS, which both the STP and GTP are capable of) both Bing Maps and Google Maps peg my location right on the money in under 30 seconds.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    Really? Fortunately mine works fine.
    Have you tried to have Palm repair it by warranty?
    When it was under warranty the only thing Palm recommended was a hard reset.
  6. jbb
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    When it was under warranty the only thing Palm recommended was a hard reset.
    It's not right. 1 mile away could be considered a defect. You have every right to ask Palm to fix it.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    mine does the same thing and I got the same answer from palm :-(
    The two greatest causes of system failures are sysadmins and users. If you can keep both of these groups away from your machines, the reliability increases dramatically.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I use my GPS all the time. I've install TomTom and use it constantly with extreme accuracy. I've used both Bing Maps and Google Maps with the same high degree of accuracy.

If you've got on issue with yours, I would certainly demand another unit.
    I believe all GSM Pros have aGPS. Way back there were way too many discussions about this but I think it was discovered that aGPS helped it to get a lock but without fresh data it would get a lock on its own just maybe take a bit longer.

I have an unlocked GSM TP and GPS has always worked fine however this is a new replacement of my original TP which for no reason GPS just quit working.

In reality I don't think there are too many instances when you would be using GPS and NOT be within cell range so therefore aGPS works fine. For instance when using Google maps you need a data connection to get your position updated as you move. If you were in an area with no cell site coverage AND you had a stand alone app like Tom Tom loaded on your SD card you should be able to get GPS to work without cell coverage but if you find yourself in the environments all the time I would think you would be better off with a hand held GPS (like a Garmi Nuvi, etc) which will probably work better anyway.

Hopefully this was not a complete ramble....sorry
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    I believe all GSM Pros have aGPS.
    So, in case of GSM TP, does QuickGPS program act as aGPS feature or is it some other setting? Can "a" part of 'aGPS' be optionally turned off in GSM TPs??
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
    My Nokia E71 & E72-E both respectivaly can get a GPS lock in under 3 - 5 seconds, the fastest I've seen on any smartphone today. I remeber when I had my GSM Treo Pro I used to have a lot of difficulties getting a lock on GPS, wether if it was Bing or Google maps, it was very annoying having to wait sometimes up to 90 seconds to get a lock when I needed to get my location, route quickly, on the go.