Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    Hello. I just got a Treo Pro this week. I have used the Centro for awhile and owned non-phone Palm devices before that, so I am very used to Palm OS. I love this phone, but the WinMo 6.1 is not all that appealing to me. There are some issues I would like help with, if anyone has the time/experience to offer.


    1) The Programs screen is full of icons to programs I don't want to use. The only programs that are displayed in the Remove Programs box are Google Maps and Treo ProBTpatch, yet the Programs screen is full of stuff like Get WorldMate and Messenger that I don't want in the way. How can I have Get WorldMate or anything else off my phone since very little shows up in the remove option? If I can't delete the stuff I don't want, can I at least setup the Programs screen to show only the icons I want? (I searched online for an answer to this and didn't find it.)

    2) When I setup the sync software for my computer, it would not allow me to check that I wanted to sync the calendar. The option was there, but nothing would happen if I tried to check the box to select it--the little white checkoff box stayed blank. (Was like that with a few other boxes too, but not all.) With Palm, I could make changes to my calendar on the computer and then update the handheld upon hotsync. Also, if my Treo requires a hard reset, all my appointments/reminders are now gone forever. Why wouldn't it allow me to select the calendar to sync with my PC? How do I get back to that screen to select those sync options?

    3) Speaking of sync software, with Palm OS I had this desktop dashboard that let me do things like I was on my handheld. With WinMo...is there nothing like that??? At best, the sync program for WinMo is anemic. And how do I access all the backup/stored info from my device that is on my PC? I assume this device doesn't do that then? Is a system restore limited to just being stored on a micro card in the device in the case of a hard reset? The Palm hotsync was great...Windows seems to do nothing more than plug my phone into the computer. Surely I'm missing something big here...

    4) Is there a way to change the Today softkeys? I really don't want Internet on there and would like to change that right softkey to something I want. I found an app that will do this, but is adding third party software the only way?



    I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the phone, because I'm thrilled to have it and overall I really like it. It's just these things that have me frustrated. I kinda feel like Microsoft made 6.1 with a like-it-or-lump-it interface setup. Changing colors is nifty and all, but I'm used to having more control than that to the way my handheld is setup.

    A very BIG thanks in advance to any assistance.
  2. #2  
    Hello there, welcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by preza View Post
    Hello. I just got a Treo Pro this week. I have used the Centro for awhile and owned non-phone Palm devices before that, so I am very used to Palm OS. I love this phone, but the WinMo 6.1 is not all that appealing to me.
    As you can see from my signature, I was a long time Palm OS user before "taking the plunge" and moving to WM a few years back. At first I was lost, went back and forth between POS and WM until I finally decided to stick with WM...took me several months of reading and experimenting until I learned my ways. Now I absolutely love WM and could never go back to POS.

    1) The Programs screen is full of icons to programs I don't want to use. The only programs that are displayed in the Remove Programs box are Google Maps and Treo ProBTpatch, yet the Programs screen is full of stuff like Get WorldMate and Messenger that I don't want in the way. How can I have Get WorldMate or anything else off my phone since very little shows up in the remove option? If I can't delete the stuff I don't want, can I at least setup the Programs screen to show only the icons I want? (I searched online for an answer to this and didn't find it.)
    The reason you won't find any of these in the Remove Program applet is that those are built into the ROM and can not be deleted. However, what you see in the Programs window is a shortcut to the program and this can be eliminated if you se desire.

    Open the program window and select File Explorer. You will see a list of folders and files, this is the program memory directory. Go to the root directory - look on the softkeys at the bottom of the screen and press UP until is no longer available. From the root directory, tap Windows, then down to Start Menu, then Programs. Here are all the shortcuts that you see on the Program window and you can delete those that you don't want. Easy...

    2) When I setup the sync software for my computer, it would not allow me to check that I wanted to sync the calendar. The option was there, but nothing would happen if I tried to check the box to select it--the little white checkoff box stayed blank. (Was like that with a few other boxes too, but not all.) With Palm, I could make changes to my calendar on the computer and then update the handheld upon hotsync. Also, if my Treo requires a hard reset, all my appointments/reminders are now gone forever. Why wouldn't it allow me to select the calendar to sync with my PC? How do I get back to that screen to select those sync options?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $can$ $only$ $make$ $changes$ $to$ $the$ $the$ $active$ $conduits$ $on$ $the$ $desktop$ $version$ $of$ $Activesync$ $when$ $the$ $phone$ $is$ $connected$ $and$ $has$ $finished$ $syncronizing$. $Open$ $the$ $Tools$ $menu$ $and$ $click$ $on$ $Options$ $to$ $do$ $that$ $while$ $the$ $phone$ $is$ $still$ $connected$ $to$ $the$ $PC$. $After$ $a$ $hard$ $reset$, $you$ $have$ $to$ $re$-$establish$ $a$ $partnership$ $with$ $you$ $PC$ $through$ $Activesync$ ($not$ $after$ $a$ $soft$ $reset$ $thought$).

    3) Speaking of sync software, with Palm OS I had this desktop dashboard that let me do things like I was on my handheld. With WinMo...is there nothing like that??? At best, the sync program for WinMo is anemic. And how do I access all the backup/stored info from my device that is on my PC? I assume this device doesn't do that then? Is a system restore limited to just being stored on a micro card in the device in the case of a hard reset? The Palm hotsync was great...Windows seems to do nothing more than plug my phone into the computer. Surely I'm missing something big here...
    Activesync is indeed an "anemic" piece of software by comparison, most of what it does is synchronizing the information between PC and Phone on the conduits selected. I personally have never liked Activesync.

    One cool thing you can do from Activesync however is surfing your phone's memory and transferring files from-to the PC. With the phone connected and after the sync is completed, click on a yellow folder on the toolbar of Activesync. This open a window that allows to work with the phone as if it is a regular storage device. You can edit/delete/rename/cut/copy/paste any file or folder in your phone's memory from the desktop. You can also drag and drop files from the PC to the phone or vice versa - the file conversion occurs automatically. You can access your SD card in the same way if one is installed. I use this to tranfer photos, MP3 files, Word/Exel files, PDF and others.

    4) Is there a way to change the Today softkeys? I really don't want Internet on there and would like to change that right softkey to something I want. I found an app that will do this, but is adding third party software the only way?
    Yes, of course there is. The beauty of WM is that almost everything can be customized by the user to his/her liking. In order to do that you have to edit the registry database where all the settings that control how windows mobile work are contained. This is advanced stuff and I would strongly advise you NOT to do it before you read and understand some about this powerful feature.

    There are a number of software utilities that will allow you to do this and many other useful changes to the registry using a menu driven interface. These have the advantage of providing immediate results with complete safety before you learn how to do it on your own. This is the way I began customizing my first WM phone until I learned. The program I used is called Tweaks2k2, there are others but this is the one I used and it worked very well. You can get it here.

    You may also want to look here to learn more about WM registry editing.

    You can find some useful registry tweaks here and on the thread of registry edits that is a *sticky* on this board.

    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 02/20/2010 at 08:21 PM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  3. #3  
    Talking about customizing, before doing any of it, please BACK-UP your phone.

    Your Treo Pro comes with a program in ROM, Sprite Backup. Is a very capable back-up/restore program that will allow you to make a complete back-up copy of your phone data to the SD card (you do have an SD...). If somethings goes wrong, Hard Reset and restore from the SD and you are good as new.

    Get into the habit of making a full back-up before customizing or installing a new application to your phone. This will always give you a known (stable) point to restore from. Better yet, set the program to back-up your phone automatically to the SD card on a schedule of your choice, this way you always have a recent back-up to restore from if something unexpected happens.

    Second, WM is notorious for having problems with something called the notification queue - this database controls many time dependent events on your phone and can lead to erratic behavior when riddled with duplicate and erronous information.

    One of the best investments you can make now is getting a good maintenance program. I use MemMaid and am very happy with it. Also SKTools is great but a bit overwhelming for a novice in my opinion. There are others of course, but these two I use and can tell you they work and are worth the price. These programs also provide with many additional ways to "safely" tweak your WM experience - specially SKTools. These programs also reclaim unused memory, eliminate dead shortcuts and registry entries, clean different caches from internet applications and others automatically for you. You can also set a daily cleaning schedule to keep your phone running smoothly - highly recommended.

    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 02/20/2010 at 08:19 PM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  4. Bug
    Bug is offline
    Bug's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    #4  
    I think you need MS Outlook to be able to fully use the Activesync. Not like Hotsync which works with either Outlook or supplied Palm Desktop.

    For me, I never sync my Pro with Outlook. I use activesync just for files transfer. My outlook was configured to sync with my 680 since that is my business phone aka office phone.

    If you did not like to use or do not have Outlook. You can use Google Sync or any Exchange hosted server in the Internet. If only for backup purpose, Microsoft MyPhone is another good service. Or you can use Live service if you like it.
    (EOL) - Nokia 3210; Nokia 3530; Motorola Razr V3i
    (Sold) - Eten M600; HTC TYTN II; Nokia E71

    (Shelf) - Nokia 6070; LG KP105
    (Active) - Nokia 6120c; Palm Treo 680; Palm Treo Pro; HTC Snap
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by preza View Post
    3) Speaking of sync software, with Palm OS I had this desktop dashboard that let me do things like I was on my handheld. With WinMo...is there nothing like that??? At best, the sync program for WinMo is anemic. And how do I access all the backup/stored info from my device that is on my PC? I assume this device doesn't do that then? Is a system restore limited to just being stored on a micro card in the device in the case of a hard reset? The Palm hotsync was great...Windows seems to do nothing more than plug my phone into the computer. Surely I'm missing something big here...
    ActiveSync used to be able to make full mobile system backups to be stored on the host computer - ActiveSync 1.x for WinCE 1.x and above (I had it), ActiveSync 2.x for WinCE 2.x and above (had that too) and ActiveSync 3.x for WinCE 2.x and above (last upgrade I used while still in the WinCE part of my life) - all had "Backup Device" options. This option backed up the entire device's data set, even the registry, to the host computer.

    Now, why was it removed on ActiveSync 4.x? Simple. The "Backup Device" mode was necessary on WinCE 1.x, 2.x, etc. because those mobile devices did not have NVRAM internally; all those WinCE devices used a backup battery to maintain RAM data in case of main battery failure. Meaning that if the backup battery died as well...you lost all your data. Some devices, like some early Windows smartphones, did not even have the backup battery - when the main battery died (not unusual with such a high-drain device)...POOF!, all your data, user installed apps and everything else went bye-bye.

    Trust me, this was a ROYAL pain. So [we] got used to doing full device backups...and used to doing the (occasional) full device restores, too.

    WinMo devices now use NVRAM (non-volatile RAM). When the battery dies - nothing happens. You recharge the battery and you are back in business with no (significant) data loss, maybe just a loss of data from any open apps you had. Since all your data [should] be duplicated on your desktop using ActiveSync as a conduit to Outlook...even if you did suffer a data loss it (technically) should be easily "fixed" by doing a re-sync.

    So the "Backup Device" option as stripped out of ActiveSync as redundant.

    Trust me, we (WinCE 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, etc.) users got pretty sick of doing device restores due to battery failures after a while. It was part and parcel of the WinCE experience back then but we all wished for a better way; the technology just did not allow for an affordable solution to the problem. Affordable, available and large MB-sized NVRAM systems finally gave us a solution and we "old timers" I think are very thankful.

    When I bought my Treo Pro I went looking around in ActiveSync 4.5 for the "Backup Device" option..."Where the he!! is it??!" I cried out. I couldn't find it. Once I used the device for more than a week or so I understood - I don't need it any more. HURRAY!!! I have 3 backups: Outlook sync, Sprite Backup on SD and My Phone on cloud. Everything is covered with SO much less hassle than remembering to do a device backup.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I feel pretty confident that I am going going to REALLY like this phone and be very satisfied with WinMo...once I get past the learning curve. Each day I'm getting a little more comfortable with it, but it just seems like there's so much to learn.


    I don't give up easily and am determined to master this OS. Thanks for all the help getting me pointed in the right direction.
  7. #7  
    You will find in a few days that WinMo is far more superior than POS. Let's face it even Palm bailed on POS. WinMo is fully customizeable unlike a Centro. Even though the Centro is a solid device its OS very boring. I also find Android to be a yawner in its current state (Android 1.5).

    You will also find the tweakability to be fun. After you get done with the learning curve read the "Registry hacks and Tweaks" thread. There is a ton of information in that thread which is tweaking gold.

    Here is a screen shot of some of my screens to give you an example.

    Treo Alert 9.0
    Advanced Configuration
    SPB Mobile Shell 2.1 (I have 3.3 too but prefer this one)
    Quick Menu
    Tweaks2K2
    SKTools 2.1 (Registry Editor, Speed Hacked, Performance Hacked, Optimize Hacked)
    Memmaid

    Last edited by VibrantRedGT; 02/21/2010 at 04:12 PM.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  8. Bug
    Bug is offline
    Bug's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoSnake View Post
    ActiveSync used to be able to make full mobile system backups to be stored on the host computer - ActiveSync 1.x for WinCE 1.x and above (I had it), ActiveSync 2.x for WinCE 2.x and above (had that too) and ActiveSync 3.x for WinCE 2.x and above (last upgrade I used while still in the WinCE part of my life) - all had "Backup Device" options. This option backed up the entire device's data set, even the registry, to the host computer.

    Now, why was it removed on ActiveSync 4.x? Simple. The "Backup Device" mode was necessary on WinCE 1.x, 2.x, etc. because those mobile devices did not have NVRAM internally; all those WinCE devices used a backup battery to maintain RAM data in case of main battery failure. Meaning that if the backup battery died as well...you lost all your data. Some devices, like some early Windows smartphones, did not even have the backup battery - when the main battery died (not unusual with such a high-drain device)...POOF!, all your data, user installed apps and everything else went bye-bye.

    Trust me, this was a ROYAL pain. So [we] got used to doing full device backups...and used to doing the (occasional) full device restores, too.

    WinMo devices now use NVRAM (non-volatile RAM). When the battery dies - nothing happens. You recharge the battery and you are back in business with no (significant) data loss, maybe just a loss of data from any open apps you had. Since all your data [should] be duplicated on your desktop using ActiveSync as a conduit to Outlook...even if you did suffer a data loss it (technically) should be easily "fixed" by doing a re-sync.

    So the "Backup Device" option as stripped out of ActiveSync as redundant.

    Trust me, we (WinCE 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, etc.) users got pretty sick of doing device restores due to battery failures after a while. It was part and parcel of the WinCE experience back then but we all wished for a better way; the technology just did not allow for an affordable solution to the problem. Affordable, available and large MB-sized NVRAM systems finally gave us a solution and we "old timers" I think are very thankful.

    When I bought my Treo Pro I went looking around in ActiveSync 4.5 for the "Backup Device" option..."Where the he!! is it??!" I cried out. I couldn't find it. Once I used the device for more than a week or so I understood - I don't need it any more. HURRAY!!! I have 3 backups: Outlook sync, Sprite Backup on SD and My Phone on cloud. Everything is covered with SO much less hassle than remembering to do a device backup.
    Ahhh... still remember those days. Using Toshiba PDA running on PocketPC 2003. The battery went flat in one of the business day trip. When I got hold of the charger, all the infos wiped out. Did not bring the notebook during the trip and end up relied on my "Personal Physical Assistant" which is hundreds KM away.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, during my Custom ROM upgrade craziness, I did saw backup option available in Activesync in one of the 6.5 ROM build. Not sure which build has triggered this function.
    (EOL) - Nokia 3210; Nokia 3530; Motorola Razr V3i
    (Sold) - Eten M600; HTC TYTN II; Nokia E71

    (Shelf) - Nokia 6070; LG KP105
    (Active) - Nokia 6120c; Palm Treo 680; Palm Treo Pro; HTC Snap
  9. #9  
    WM Hacks/Tweaks at PPCGeeks
    Have a great one...Doc D.

    Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bug View Post
    Ahhh... still remember those days. Using Toshiba PDA running on PocketPC 2003. The battery went flat in one of the business day trip. When I got hold of the charger, all the infos wiped out. Did not bring the notebook during the trip and end up relied on my "Personal Physical Assistant" which is hundreds KM away.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, during my Custom ROM upgrade craziness, I did saw backup option available in Activesync in one of the 6.5 ROM build. Not sure which build has triggered this function.
    Weren't those days joyful? I go back to WinMo 2.0, then an upgrade to 2.11. Surprisingly this is NOT my first PDA-type device - I'd been running some type of PDA-type device since 1988..

    Glutton for punishment, am I

    I can't say about the cooked ROMs, I don't follow them.
  11. Giannacl's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    #11  
    i like the big icons! how do i get that?
    The two greatest causes of system failures are sysadmins and users. If you can keep both of these groups away from your machines, the reliability increases dramatically.

Posting Permissions