1.    #1  
    The gadget sites...and their mostly iPhone fans...are getting themselves all foamy at the mouth regarding OS Phone7.

What's your opinion? I'm not impressed - iPhone lowest-denominator operation and lockdown for the Windows set - and hope that a Business version, or WinMo, is available for the power user set. I love Gizmodo's review:

"No, instead, an oversized set of bright, superflat squares fill the screen. The pop of the primary colors and exaggerated flatness produces a kind of cutting-edge crispness that feels both incredibly modern and playful."

Wow, flat yet modern! A new duality paradigm! Let's look forward...by hyping the past! Yeah, that'll work! My readers are so stupid they'll believe ANYTHING as long as they are told it's true!

(and they did, too!)

I think the lack of powerful multitasking...the availability of apps exclusively through the Marketplace...the lockdown from customization including ANY customization even from the manufacturers themselves...etc...makes me glad I have the STP. It is a very nice device and I truly enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoSnake View Post
    ...I think the lack of powerful multitasking...the availability of apps exclusively through the Marketplace...the lockdown from customization including ANY customization even from the manufacturers themselves...etc...makes me glad I have the STP. It is a very nice device and I truly enjoy it.
    I feel is too early to render a "final" veredict on Win7 Phone yet. This are all reviews based on the first official demo from MS. Changes are bound to occur before the scheduled release late this year, and lots more after that. One thing is for sure, I will not be a first adopter of this new OS.

However, I do agree with your assessment: the apparent lack of multitasking, no customizing options for power users (read: I love my registry) and no backward compatibility with core WM programs I use everyday to get work done, makes me doubtful about the value of this new OS for my work needs. I am sure with time many WM apps will migrate to the new platform, but I suspect those will be more the entertaiment oriented rather than business applications at first.

I guess we are seeing a fundamental shift in the smartphone industry, away from business to mostly entertaiment centric devices. As it stands now, WM7 seems to have this much in common with WebOS, iPhone and Android platforms.

For now, I plan to stay on the "sidelines" with my WM 6.1 Treo Pro and possibly consider upgrading to WM 6.5 in the near future.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I feel is too early to render a "final" veredict on Win7 Phone yet. This are all reviews based on the first official demo from MS. Changes are bound to occur before the scheduled release late this year, and lots more after that. One thing is for sure, I will not be a first adopter of this new OS.

However, I do agree with your assessment: the apparent lack of multitasking, no customizing options for power users (read: I love my registry) and no backward compatibility with core WM programs I use everyday to get work done, makes me doubtful about the value of this new OS for my work needs. I am sure with time many WM apps will migrate to the new platform, but I suspect those will be more the entertaiment oriented rather than business applications at first.

I guess we are seeing a fundamental shift in the smartphone industry, away from business to mostly entertaiment centric devices. As it stands now, WM7 seems to have this much in common with WebOS, iPhone and Android platforms.

For now, I plan to stay on the "sidelines" with my WM 6.1 Treo Pro and possibly consider upgrading to WM 6.5 in the near future.
    I agree with that, however regarding skinning MS did say that the initial version of 7 series will not be skinnable, leaving the option that future revisions will be. I still think that a more "professional' version will be available probably in the form of an alternate screen ala spb professional and personal screen layouts. I for one do not want an xbox panel on my home screen. I don't want to pull up facebook info on my business clients either in my contacts list, oh I mean peoples list.
    With the announcement of win7 series however, it's unlikely that a killer wm 6.5 phone will be released, I hope my tp holds out until a decent qwerty phone is available either on that platform or webos.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    I agree with that, however regarding skinning MS did say that the initial version of 7 series will not be skinnable, leaving the option that future revisions will be. I still think that a more "professional' version will be available probably in the form of an alternate screen ala spb professional and personal screen layouts. I for one do not want an xbox panel on my home screen. I don't want to pull up facebook info on my business clients either in my contacts list, oh I mean peoples list.
    With the announcement of win7 series however, it's unlikely that a killer wm 6.5 phone will be released, I hope my tp holds out until a decent qwerty phone is available either on that platform or webos.
    The new Pixi Plus, on Verizon only, seems to be the updated equivalent of a Centro. It seems like a nice phone, and well sized too.

The Pre, especially I guess the Plus version with the added memory, is certainly a decent choice IMHO.

Speaking of alternate phones, a number of weeks ago I went to Verizon to check out the (then new) Droid, what all the web blog review geeks were going all foamy-mouthed at. Yuck! Maybe I'm spoiled by the fit and finish of the Treo Pro...but the Droid seemed 'industrial' and crude by comparison. The keyboard simply wasn't that great, the chassis did not feel "good in the hand" (although it was metal and rigid), the slider wasn't the best...the whole thing felt, well, a bit "unfinished" in terms of fit and polish.

Which just goes to show you my current opinion of review writers for Gizmodo and (especially, with extra sauce) Engadget:

Idiots
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    ..I for one do not want an xbox panel on my home screen. I don't want to pull up facebook info on my business clients either in my contacts list, oh I mean peoples list...
    Agreed: I want an integrated device that helps me work first, and have fun second.

These new direction toward entertaiment focused GUI's on today's "smartphones" makes many of these devices unsuitable for my business needs. I hope you are right and there is a more business oriented version available to us without all these intrusive social networking integration.

I hope my tp holds out until a decent qwerty phone is available either on that platform or webos.
    I already have a second brand-new Treo Pro in "reserve" for that reason.

WebOS may become a good choice in the future, but there is one thing that gives me second thoughts about adopting this platform...Palm, Inc.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    I've been using the touch pro 2 for what 4 or 5 months... I'm sold on Windows.

Win 7 will be great... can't wait to upgrade.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I've been using the touch pro 2 for what 4 or 5 months... I'm sold on Windows.

Win 7 will be great... can't wait to upgrade.
    I am waiting anxiously for the release of Win7 devices in hopes they will offer a platform that will fulfill my needs going forward...for me is still too early to make that call.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoSnake View Post
    ...the lockdown from customization including ANY customization even from the manufacturers themselves...etc...makes me glad I have the STP. It is a very nice device and I truly enjoy it.
    Isn't that very situation causing a headache on the android platform?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I just picked up a Samsung Intrepid to get a qwerty key pad, the treo pro is cool but the key pad is just to small for my big thumbs, anyway I am just getting tired of all the companies dropping their tried and true platforms to try and be the next Iphone, I have a iPod touch, I considered using it as a PDA, for my contacts and calendar, I hated it, not productive at all, sometimes I wish I would have never spent the money on the stupid thing.
    I had an HTC Touch before getting the Intrepid, before that I had a treo 650 loved that PDA, I am so happy to be back to a real keyboard.
    So I guess I'm glad I went with what I did if 7 is the future for windows.
    Terry
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by fulanit01 View Post
    Isn't that very situation causing a headache on the android platform?
    Not so much the customizations but the fact that their are 5 different revision levels of Android currently out. Software for one revision level is not compatible with another level, and then add in those carrier-dependent mods you get...a disaster.

I checked out the Motorola Droid when it came out. Paint me crotchety maybe...but don't make the color of that paint "impressed", because I wasn't. I found the entire thing "Bleh" - it felt "underdeveloped". The keyboard simply wasn't that great at all and while the metal casting felt heavy and solid the fitment tolerances (I guess, I can't quite place my finger on what exactly turned me off physically) were just not..."classy". The display "clunked" open with no finesse, having to go into landscape mode just to type sucked for it means you are no longer one-handing it (if you desire to use it that way) and I found the capacitive screen only somewhat more reactive than our Treo Pro's resistive (read: not up to iPhone levels IMHO). If I am going to lose the ability to use my screen when wearing gloves (VERY important to me) then at least give me the uber-reactive touchscreen experience, please (the Pre has got it).

The STP that was in my pocket felt SOOOooo much better in the hand than that Droid did - I'd pick a Pre over the Droid in a heartbeat if I were still shopping.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Where does things stand now with Palm? I read few weeks ago that Palm is in trouble.

I already knew this. With so many mobile OS out there, why so many?

And this WebOS?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Where does things stand now with Palm? I read few weeks ago that Palm is in trouble.

I already knew this. With so many mobile OS out there, why so many?

And this WebOS?
    Maybe the Palm can be in trouble, but our devices will be fine! If we learn more maybe we can help in porting the wm7 to treo pro...
    Well, the word is that Microsoft is targetting "38-year-old life maximizers" (you know who yous are ) Ana and Miles will be coming to your neighborhood screens soon. My guess is that devices will start rolling out sooner than we think. I'd bet my 270 that it'll be closer to April than December.

Clearly, Apple has had a huge impact on the mobile phone market, and the competition is responding. Palm was first with its very nice WebOS, and now Microsoft will be in the mix with 7. The ZuneHD was the cornerstone software-wise, but the difference with phones -again, still- is that we're not talking about a 1-device world here. It's the approach that Android has followed or copied -the platform approach. So, we can expect that a lot of great companies like HTC, Samsung, LG, Asus, etc. will be bringing out a lot of nice and diverse devices. The Windows market or platform will probably continue to have the best or biggest keyboard/no-keyboard catalog. I'm still keyboard-inclined, and there's a nice-and-slim, sliding-keyboard LG unit showing up here and there.

Hope this hasn't been posted here already, but this is the best, if little-too-long video demo I've seen of a WinPhone 7 prototype: Windows Phone 7 Series preview, MIX10 edition -- Engadget

My source for developments, early sitings, etc. from the Mix10 show: Mix10 -- Engadget
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I agree with your analysis, but hate that the manufacturers are going in that direction. I think they're giving up on the business user (or at least the company phone buyer) and conceding that market to BB. Which is a shame. We're a small outfit and need smartphones with great PDA and mail features, but this is our only phones so having additional features is important. The TP fits the bill ... but I feel the manufacturers are leaving us high and dry by putting something out, then stopping to support it. (Obviously wanting to force you to buy something different ... and have a new learning curve, buy new apps ... etc., etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by mord4z View Post
    Maybe the Palm can be in trouble, but our devices will be fine! If we learn more maybe we can help in porting the wm7 to treo pro...

from what i have gathered the treo pro is not capable of running windows 7... and if it could it would prolly real slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    Well, the word is that Microsoft is targetting "38-year-old life maximizers" (you know who yous are ) Ana and Miles will be coming to your neighborhood screens soon. My guess is that devices will start rolling out sooner than we think. I'd bet my 270 that it'll be closer to April than December.

Clearly, Apple has had a huge impact on the mobile phone market, and the competition is responding. Palm was first with its very nice WebOS, and now Microsoft will be in the mix with 7. The ZuneHD was the cornerstone software-wise, but the difference with phones -again, still- is that we're not talking about a 1-device world here. It's the approach that Android has followed or copied -the platform approach. So, we can expect that a lot of great companies like HTC, Samsung, LG, Asus, etc. will be bringing out a lot of nice and diverse devices. The Windows market or platform will probably continue to have the best or biggest keyboard/no-keyboard catalog. I'm still keyboard-inclined, and there's a nice-and-slim, sliding-keyboard LG unit showing up here and there.

Hope this hasn't been posted here already, but this is the best, if little-too-long video demo I've seen of a WinPhone 7 prototype: Windows Phone 7 Series preview, MIX10 edition -- Engadget

My source for developments, early sitings, etc. from the Mix10 show: Mix10 -- Engadget
    Thanks for sharing ... hadn't seen the extended version. It's interesting the focus on things like facebook with no treatment whatsoever about the keyboard. To me, I need a good input device or why have the phone?!?!?