Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I am receiving my Treo Pro tomorrow and I had a question. I will be using it along with my iPhone on AT&T. I'm just using the sim out of my iPhone and I was wondering will my Unlimited Data Plan for iPhone cover my data usage on the Treo when I am using it instead of the iPhone? Will they even notice or care?
    They will surely appreciate your lower data consumption using the Treo instead of the iPhone, LOL.

I don't think they will care even if they really can notice the change. I'm not with AT&T though.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    That's what I figured but I think I read somewhere where people ran into trouble about it. Hopefully you are right though! Anyone else know about this? Anyone in the same position?
  4. jbb
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Since you are not trying to cheat, you can ask AT&T directly to get a clear answer.
    yes and to get a cheaper plan!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    they will probably force you into a different data plan. The iPhone has its own tier and the other smartphones are usually more expensive data plan.
    I tought iPhone and blackberries were on the same tier, provided they are both used with personal services, such as BIS (personal) or iPhone data plan, but not a micosoft exchange plan.
    Chester Vargas - Palm VII, Handspring Visor, T2, T3, TX, Treo 650, 680, 750, Treo Pro ==> iPhone 3GS 32GB ==> Pre Plus at&t ==> Pixi Plus at&t ==> Pre Plus at&t
  8. jbb
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    The price of iPhone data plan $30 is the same with smartphone plan. It's as twice as dumb phone data plan. That's why people think AT&T doesn't care which plan you choose. I personally suspect the way they differentiate service fees simply by phone type is stupid and will be changed eventually.
    I can do very well with the media net plan on my Nokia E72 and it works the same as the smartphone plan.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Also, if i remember correctly the visual voicemail on Iphone is going to create junk text messages on the Treo when you receive VM's
    right everytime, but just by calling CS by removing v.mail feature for iPhone.
    Just got a Treo Pro. AT&T said it would require the $30 unlimited data feature. I used to have $30 unlimited data/text with my Centro on AT&T, but was never on the web, so I dropped it as it was not worth the extra $15 a month. However, I was told now that I would have to pay separate data and text fees, which totals $50 now, and is absurd for someone who isn't using data features very much...and now owns a phone with wifi. Hence, I asked AT&T to put a data block on my basic flip Nokia, then swapped the SIM card into my new Treo.
  13. jbb
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    All U.S. cell carriers are greedy. AT&T is the last one to enforce mandatory smartphone data plan rules. You have to pay tribute to carriers simply because you have a smartphone, no matter you need it or not. I wonder why FCC or FTC doesn't do something about this.
    my Nokia E72 consumes far less data then any iPhone out there, but yet If I register my IMEI no. I'm sure at&t will force me into a $30 data plan. Otherwise, I have my older samsung with an unlimitted $15/mo medianet plan.
    If you were on AT&T with a smartphone before that September or whenever date, you are not required to carry a data plan if you don't want to, provided you still have the same device and didn't have a data plan before. If you change to a different smartphone, then they require the mandatory smartphone data plan.

I understand the idea of this policy, in part at least. I have been in the AT&T store and listened to some frantic person with a $300 cell bill. I think this was all put in place to prevent people from racking up huge bills and then the companies having to appease angry customers. However, it is simple to put a data block on a plan. The cell providers also boast of parental controls you can place on your kids' phones to limit their texting and data usage. How difficult would it be to limit it on any phone? The prepaid phones will not let you use data if your account hasn't prepaid for it...so the technology is there to limit/control data usage.

I just find it absurd to pay $50 for unlimited text and data instead of $30 just because i own a smartphone.
    this is just another way for carriers to make money. I know that some smartphones consume less data then regular phones and that the ones that consume the most data are multimedia, but not business phones.