Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
       #1  
    Got this from other site and passing on the info ...

    This is a new GSM unlock phone. If you all still like it and it will work on ATT or T-mobile only.

    Dell SB [dell.com] has the PALM Treo Pro Unlocked Smartphone for $180 - 10% Promo code CWT98NZP?Z66L8 = $162 + Tax with free shipping.

    The coupon code only works for Dell Business and not Dell Home.
    Last edited by chong67; 02/09/2010 at 06:11 PM.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    If you all still like it and it will work on ATT or T-mobile only.
    what? u mean it wont work with other network? i just got the treo pro and got it shipped to the philippines..

    i think you got a wrong info for this.. Unlocked phone means it can be used on any network.. means it has a sim card.. do a research.. let me know soon..
    N3210 > N6210 > N7650 > N3650 > SE K700i > Treo 680 > Treo Pro...
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by yanz011 View Post
    what? u mean it wont work with other network? i just got the treo pro and got it shipped to the philippines..

    i think you got a wrong info for this.. Unlocked phone means it can be used on any network.. means it has a sim card.. do a research.. let me know soon..
    You won't have a problem - the unlocked GSM Treo Pro is quadband, GSM 850 / GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900. It is therefore worldwide compatible will all carriers - the only limitation beyond locked or unlocked SIM.

    He is referencing the United States; T-Mobile and AT&T are the only GSM carriers in the country. All other carriers are CDMA and therefore require the CDMA version of the Treo Pro exclusively.
    Last edited by dinoSnake; 02/19/2010 at 10:18 PM.
  4. #4  
    Mine just came to my door on Tuesday from Dell. I went ahead and bought the 1 yr replacement plan.

    My first reaction to the phone is mixed. The device itself is super and so superior to the Centro. The WinMo OS is going to take some getting used to. I like the Palm OS and have had a Palm device of some sort for the past 7 yrs. The 6.1 interface just doesn't "flow" for me, but I'll give it a couple more weeks before making a more solid opinion. It just seems more "here ya go" in setup than my past Palm devices, which let me control so much of the look and setup of screens.


    But, for anyone else considering, this is a good deal and I think you'll be impressed with how solid this device is.
  5. #5  
    I think the problem with new WinMo users (and the reviewers that act like them...) is that they expect WinMo to function like a small, handheld-only device.

    I know that sounds...ironic...but IMHO it's true. People expect WinMo to act like a simple MP3 player's interface, or maybe a dumbphone - read: like a simple, consumer-level device.

    And here's the secret of WinMo:

    Treat it rather like a miniature Windows 98 (and now, with WinMo 6.x, throw in a touch of XP at that). Then the OS makes complete sense. Pretty much the same power as a mini-98/XP...with the resulting complexities as well, such as (occasional) maintenance like reboot, flush temp files, download updates, etc.

    It's a power-user's OS - just like Windows desktop, with the power of almost ultimate user's choice comes some responsibility for what happens in the background and a need to comprehend it all.
  6. #6  
    Well, I will need a couple weeks with it before I will make a decision/opinion. So far, I am not a bit impressed with WiMo. I realize that I have to research how to make the most of this OS, but my first impression is not a positive one compared to using Palm OS.

    There may be ways to customize the interface to my personal liking, but MS sure didn't make it easy to figure out. I'm not a tech-ignorant person, but when I first turned on my phone and navigated through 6.1, I thought "This is what the software giant of the world came up with???"

    If it really acted like a Win 98/XP computer, why is the main screen (Today) setup in a limited linear scroll down menu like a mid-90s PDA? I want a screen of icons for programs I WANT to use frequently, like I could with my Centro and Zires. I like the start button/menu feature, but I would prefer a main screen that looks like and has what I want on it. When I navigate through this phone, I keep thinking about the loser, nerdy PC guy in those annoying Mac commercials and that HE must be the person who designed this UI.

    I really want to like the phone and I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that after the learning curve is completed, I'll be happy. The device itself is great, but out of the box the OS feels like I am going back 10 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by dinoSnake View Post
    I think the problem with new WinMo users (and the reviewers that act like them...) is that they expect WinMo to function like a small, handheld-only device.

    I know that sounds...ironic...but IMHO it's true. People expect WinMo to act like a simple MP3 player's interface, or maybe a dumbphone - read: like a simple, consumer-level device.

    And here's the secret of WinMo:

    Treat it rather like a miniature Windows 98 (and now, with WinMo 6.x, throw in a touch of XP at that). Then the OS makes complete sense. Pretty much the same power as a mini-98/XP...with the resulting complexities as well, such as (occasional) maintenance like reboot, flush temp files, download updates, etc.

    It's a power-user's OS - just like Windows desktop, with the power of almost ultimate user's choice comes some responsibility for what happens in the background and a need to comprehend it all.
  7. #7  
    where is the dell link? I looked for a palm device and no luck. are you using ATT or Verizon with it? Please advise.
    Sue
  8. jbb
    jbb is offline
    jbb's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by preza View Post
    Well, I will need a couple weeks with it before I will make a decision/opinion. So far, I am not a bit impressed with WiMo. I realize that I have to research how to make the most of this OS, but my first impression is not a positive one compared to using Palm OS.

    There may be ways to customize the interface to my personal liking, but MS sure didn't make it easy to figure out. I'm not a tech-ignorant person, but when I first turned on my phone and navigated through 6.1, I thought "This is what the software giant of the world came up with???"

    If it really acted like a Win 98/XP computer, why is the main screen (Today) setup in a limited linear scroll down menu like a mid-90s PDA? I want a screen of icons for programs I WANT to use frequently, like I could with my Centro and Zires. I like the start button/menu feature, but I would prefer a main screen that looks like and has what I want on it. When I navigate through this phone, I keep thinking about the loser, nerdy PC guy in those annoying Mac commercials and that HE must be the person who designed this UI.

    I really want to like the phone and I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that after the learning curve is completed, I'll be happy. The device itself is great, but out of the box the OS feels like I am going back 10 years.
    I think SPB Mobile Shell is what you are expecting, though it's commercial software.
  9. jbb
    jbb is offline
    jbb's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by tacktoday View Post
    where is the dell link? I looked for a palm device and no luck. are you using ATT or Verizon with it? Please advise.
    Dell has been selling it for $200 or less for 2 months. But it's gone, at least for now. The unlocked GSM Treo Pro which Dell was selling works with AT&T or T-Mobile in US. 3G of the Phone is compatible with AT&T, not T-Mobile.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by preza View Post
    Well, I will need a couple weeks with it before I will make a decision/opinion. So far, I am not a bit impressed with WiMo. I realize that I have to research how to make the most of this OS, but my first impression is not a positive one compared to using Palm OS.

    There may be ways to customize the interface to my personal liking, but MS sure didn't make it easy to figure out. I'm not a tech-ignorant person, but when I first turned on my phone and navigated through 6.1, I thought "This is what the software giant of the world came up with???"

    If it really acted like a Win 98/XP computer, why is the main screen (Today) setup in a limited linear scroll down menu like a mid-90s PDA? I want a screen of icons for programs I WANT to use frequently, like I could with my Centro and Zires. I like the start button/menu feature, but I would prefer a main screen that looks like and has what I want on it. When I navigate through this phone, I keep thinking about the loser, nerdy PC guy in those annoying Mac commercials and that HE must be the person who designed this UI.

    I really want to like the phone and I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt that after the learning curve is completed, I'll be happy. The device itself is great, but out of the box the OS feels like I am going back 10 years.
    OK. This is going to be a pro-WinMo post rather than the all-too-common anti-WinMo post that is all the rage on the tech blog review sites...even though 85% of the people actually on the site have never used WinMo...


    You are having a bit of touble because you aren't accepting WinMo for what it is - you're looking for WinMo for what it is not.

    WinMo is not an iPhone with a keyboard - it is a BlackBerry with a touchscreen. The usage paradigm is not on the same plane. You are expecting to use WinMo as a primarily touchscreen device but that is not how it was thought of. It is why I told you that WinMo is a hybrid Win98/XP - you use it via menus, substituting the Dpad for the mouse, using the touchscreen as as Dpad substitute...that is, using the touchscreen as a substitute for a substitute, therefore using it when necessary rather than commonly.

    Yes, I guess you are correct that the UI is not flashy nor icon based but we see that as a "plus" while some only see it as a (consistent) minus.

    Use WinMo like you would use a BlackBerry - keyboard shortcuts, scrolling with the Dpad, using the menus - rather than trying to use it like an iPhone by touching everything. While you state a complaint that WinMo's Today screen does not have the icons necessary to surf the phone, it is because you are expecting the Today screen to have those icons so you can 'surf' the device. Rather, the Today screen presents you with pertinent information...which is what the Today screen is supposed to do.

    That's why it is called the "Today screen" - presenting you with a display of information for what is happening today like weather (plugin), appointments, unread mails, date and reminders - and not the "Home screen" where you go when you want to go...someplace else. That's the difference between Palm Garnet / iPhone / Android and WinMo; with WinMo you use the Start Menu via the Windows key, Win98/XP style, to do most of your surfing. The Today screen presents data right up front, rather than having to constantly go into an app to access that data. Take Win98, make the desktop an app for showing you computer status...and you'll get the "idea" of WinMo.

    See if you can get the hang, and the idea, of the WinMo interface - it was designed intentionally and is not a mistake. The reviewers who don't like WinMo...can't seem to understand that premise. They can understand the mostly-menu, business-style look on a BlackBerry but can't seem to grasp the idea on WinMo. What's up with that?? A BlackBerry fan will understand WinMo pretty fast

    Round Robin Review: CrackBerry goes Palm Treo Pro | CrackBerry.com

    If you would like WinMo to be more iPhone in operation you want SPB Mobile Shell or any of the other shells, like HTC's Touch Flo. Note that SPB Mobile Shell uses "Home pages", not a "Today screen" - again, a data presentation difference that is quite intentional.


    I hope, in the end, you really like your Treo Pro. The UI and OS are functional, not 'glossy' like an iPhone, and very efficient once you get the hang of it. It is very much a business-class device.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoSnake View Post
    You are having a bit of touble because you aren't accepting WinMo for what it is - you're looking for WinMo for what it is not.
    A very insightful observation. I have had very limited exposure to actually using a Blackberry. Not a fan of non-touchscreen phones. I would probably punt an iPhone if I bought one. I honestly wasn't for sure what to expect with WinMo, as I hadn't really messed with a WinMo phone much. Palm feels natural to me. I am starting to see some big strengths of this OS...I just haven't gotten the feel for it yet.
  12. Giannacl's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    #12  
    get the spb mobile shell, it would help you get the look I think you want and it totally customizable. Try it first, and if you don't like it its easy to erase. I have it in mine and yet I keep going back to the today screen look ;-) but I think I get what you are looking for since I rarely use the keyboard (speed dial mostly) and use the touchscreen more, with my fingernail I might add, since I don't recall ever taking the stylus out!
    The two greatest causes of system failures are sysadmins and users. If you can keep both of these groups away from your machines, the reliability increases dramatically.

Posting Permissions