1.    #1  
    just own a Treo Pro unlocked..

Could somebody help me list out the top free softwares needed for my phone?
    be waiting for your reply..

thanks so much!
    N3210 > N6210 > N7650 > N3650 > SE K700i > Treo 680 > Treo Pro...
    Hi,

You should start by installing the app OpnMarket by freewarepocketpc.net. From there you can browse for, download, install, see "Most Popular" or "What's New" apps, etc.

Here's the link:
    OpnMarket, instant freeware for Windows Mobile - FreewarePocketPC

For my liking/usage, the only needed freeware for the Treo Pro are Skyfire and OperaMini browsers, because IE is pretty bad or lacking. I use IE just for a few mobile sites, Skyfire only for embeded Flash video content and OperaMini 5 beta 2 for everything else. I have a few other freeware installed, but I don't see them as NEEDED, just for fun or to make some things a little easier.
    Last edited by Cheker; 02/09/2010 at 10:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheker View Post
    Hi,For my liking/usage, the only needed freeware for the Treo Pro are Skyfire and OperaMini browsers, because IE is pretty bad or lacking. I use IE just for a few mobile sites, Skyfire only for embeded Flash video content and OperaMini 5 beta 2 for everything else.
    Interestingly, I find just the opposite. This is just personal:

Thanks to IEToggle, the freeware program available right here on this forum, I use the PIE mode of IE 95% of the time now. While I have not tried Opera Mini I have Opera Mobile 9.7 and Skyfire installed...and I barely use either one.

The media hype that it is important to have a cell phone browser accurately render a web page is exactly that IMHO - HYPE. I go to a web site to read the content, not be concerned that the page looks pretty while miniaturized to such an extent on the screen that I spend 1/2 of my time tapping and zooming around the page in order to read it.

PIE is quick and readable - I doubted this claim made by PIE advocates until I installed IEToggle and experienced it for myself. Joy! Skyfire's UI is HORRIBLE and Opera Mobile's tap/zoom is clunky. I tried Opera Mobile 10...and it made Opera Mobile 9.7's tap/zoom function seem like a "joy" in comparison. Opera Mobile 10's tap/zoom, as well as Favorites handling, was such an abomination that I actually uninstalled OM10Beta and re-installed OM9.7.

Anyway, back on track. There are a lot of good freeware apps out there using simple Google searches, and Cheker's recommendation of OpnMarket / FreewarePocketPC (based upon what I hear, I haven't tried it myself) is AWESOME.
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoSnake View Post
    PIE is quick and readable - I doubted this claim made by PIE advocates until I installed IEToggle and experienced it for myself. Joy! Skyfire's UI is HORRIBLE and Opera Mobile's tap/zoom is clunky. I tried Opera Mobile 10...and it made Opera Mobile 9.7's tap/zoom function seem like a "joy" in comparison. Opera Mobile 10's tap/zoom, as well as Favorites handling, was such an abomination that I actually uninstalled OM10Beta and re-installed OM9.7.
    I use PIE, and you're right, it's readable (especially on our tiny screens). But at least with my network (carrier, Claro-Puerto Rico, 500 kbit/sec average 3G) it's not very quick. Actually it's painfully slow for heavy web sites. Like I said, I use it daily and I like it, but only for mobile-version sites, like treocentral mobile.

If you haven't, you should really try OpMini5B2, I tried both Mobile and Mini and Mini tap danced around Mobile waiting for Mobile to finish downloading. It's simpler, faster and smaller footprint. So not only Mobile is slower displaying web content, but because is so big an app, it also slows down the device. I ended up unistalling it in favor of Mini. Only thing is you have to search for and install some files to make it launch like a normal app (since it works within the Jbed Midlet thingy). Instructions and files are linked on a thread some place around this Treo Pro forum.
    Last edited by Cheker; 02/09/2010 at 10:21 PM.
    Thanks for the heads up on Mini.

Call me paranoid, though: I'm just not comfy using the proxy browsers and it is amongst the reasons I do not use Skyfire much. I go to some...errr...private / colorful places where I have friends and I really don't want yet another company keeping records.
    Call me old fashion, anti-social or crazy but I don't use or visit many log-in websites, especially social networks. I don't even have a facebook or myspace account, LOL. I read my gmail with pocket outlook and twitter with a device-app. Any of the very few sites that I visit that would require log-in I do so using PIE or PC.

So the only thing they (skyfire or mini) see or keep record within my usage is the sites I visit (no registration required sites). They can have that, I don't care. It's not like I visit any illegal sites or do any criminal activity that I have to hide away.

It's a matter of personal preferences and usage.
    Last edited by Cheker; 02/10/2010 at 05:12 PM.
    The only reason you should be using Opera Mini is if you don't have a touchscreen and can't use Opera Mobile. Furthermore, the newest beta 3 has flash plugins enabling capability. Honestly, I'd be using Skyfire before I'd be using IEmobile.