Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I just read on wikipedia that palm is no longer going to support windows and will focus exclusively on the new palm os (web os).

How much time do we have left with this phone? Im thinking 1 year.

This essentially means the treo pro is dead and probably will not receive upgrades to 6.5 or 7.0.

Also since the windows mobile team is doing such an awful job keeping up with blackberry, iphone and android its actually possible that they might give up on win 7 all together. Personally I dont think they will.

My dilemma is that there is no other phone OS that works for me.

Iphone = no keyboard, no flash, no mobile wifi, no Sprint

Blackberry = im not paying the extra $40 a month for email access, dont need it that bad, also no mobile wifi, no sirius

Palm Pre = I just bought for my wife and I hate the phone. It took me 3 days to get the mobile wifi to work. Too complicated. Cant sync task or memos. no sirius, no sling box.

Google Android - not enough for it yet, phones really suck.

I use apple almost exclusively at home and I prefer that over windows. But in the mobile phone market I MUCH prefer windows. Every app that you can possibly think of is available and easy to install.

I sincerely hope that palm keeps the windows model as well as developing their new wedb os. The new web os is just not ready for prime time yet. It would be such a bad decision to dump windows and go for the web os exclusively, they will loose ALLOT of customers, including me.

My Teo Pro has:

skyfire (browse ANYTHING perfectly)
    slingbox
    sirius
    mobile wifi
    private sms
    exposed keyboard *** (must have)
    multi task
    myphone (new app to backup - wonderful)

Until another phone offers that I just cant switch.
    I totally agree with ya!!! I dont understand why we cant at least get a official 6.5 upgrade. Me and so many others are running cooked roms that work just fine. O and i also think the iphone would rock if sprint had it
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Rubinstein has formally announced (prematurely IMO) that Palm will no longer develop winmo products. All focus will be on webos products. The TP has not been supported since launch, other than the bluetooth patch, no bug fixes have been released and there will not be an upgrade to 6.5. If you're interested in this form factor and OS for future phones the upcoming HTC trophy may be your best bet.
    As long as the Treo keeps working, why replace it in a year? I never quite get this.
    Quote Originally Posted by XenaWP View Post
    As long as the Treo keeps working, why replace it in a year? I never quite get this.

me either... i still think WM is better than android and the iphone.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    1- If you loose or damage the phone the insurance company will give you something close but not the actual phone.

2- The software developers will not develop or support upgrades of the current software. For example, if windows is killed my siriuswm6 is going to die. Skyfire will go away, etc.

Bottom line is that if Palm keeps 1 windows device they will keep more customers, just that simple.

Surprisingly windows still has the best most robust mobile OS. I dont need silly little game apps.

I bailed once and went to the HTC but I came right back to the Treo and I will do it again if I have to but I dont want to. The Palm Pre made me realize how much I like the Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by XenaWP View Post
    I would have to agree with everyone who has posted. WinMo in the classic Treo form factor is still my favorite device. Tried both Android phone and both returned after 2 weeks. I also use a Mac 8 hours per day and my entire office has iPhone's. However I have not changed because I really have no desire to. I'm one who must have a physical keyboard.

I've said it before, if Palm launched a Treo Pro with a Treo 800 keyboard plus WM6.5 or greater then this would be my phone for a real long time.

I'm going to buy another Treo Pro to add to the collection along with my old school Treo 800 and BlackBerry (back up my back up's). Like also mentioned I can't live without many WinMo programs. Plus I like to tweak still.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    That new HTC Trophy has caught my fancy.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Man I hope they do at least a win 6.5 (preferable 7) with treo pro and then i will ride that out to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I would have to agree with everyone who has posted. WinMo in the classic Treo form factor is still my favorite device. Tried both Android phone and both returned after 2 weeks. I also use a Mac 8 hours per day and my entire office has iPhone's. However I have not changed because I really have no desire to. I'm one who must have a physical keyboard.

I've said it before, if Palm launched a Treo Pro with a Treo 800 keyboard plus WM6.5 or greater then this would be my phone for a real long time.

I'm going to buy another Treo Pro to add to the collection along with my old school Treo 800 and BlackBerry (back up my back up's). Like also mentioned I can't live without many WinMo programs. Plus I like to tweak still.
    just forget about wm7 our phones from what i've been reading cant handle it
    htc trophy looks nice...

I would love to have that.
    I bet by the time you really need to replace your current phone there will be an acceptable winmo device with a front facing keyboard and touch screen.

Not an authority here, but purely speculation. HTC is the likely manufacturer but maybe even Samsung or who knows--Nokia has something like 40% of the world market so how could they not have one down the road either.

Palm really never wanted to go the winmo route in my opinion but someone decided that it would allow them to sell more devices, and I think without the 800 and Pro they probably would have vanished so I think they made the right call...too bad they didn't work on WebOS 2 years ago, because it might be totally dialed in by now and even available on other devices.

Apple already proved long ago that it is really tough to survive making hardward that basically runs on proprietary software, even if it is really better. If not for the ipod and then eventually the iphone would Apple still be around just making really good computers....who knows. Winmo might have been Palm's lifeline that bought them a few years and now hopefully they can stick around. The next couple of years will be the real test IMO.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    I just read on wikipedia that palm is no longer going to support windows and will focus exclusively on the new palm os (web os).

How much time do we have left with this phone? Im thinking 1 year.

This essentially means the treo pro is dead and probably will not receive upgrades to 6.5 or 7.0.

Also since the windows mobile team is doing such an awful job keeping up with blackberry, iphone and android its actually possible that they might give up on win 7 all together. Personally I dont think they will.

My dilemma is that there is no other phone OS that works for me.

Iphone = no keyboard, no flash, no mobile wifi, no Sprint

Blackberry = im not paying the extra $40 a month for email access, dont need it that bad, also no mobile wifi, no sirius

Palm Pre = I just bought for my wife and I hate the phone. It took me 3 days to get the mobile wifi to work. Too complicated. Cant sync task or memos. no sirius, no sling box.

Google Android - not enough for it yet, phones really suck.

I use apple almost exclusively at home and I prefer that over windows. But in the mobile phone market I MUCH prefer windows. Every app that you can possibly think of is available and easy to install.

I sincerely hope that palm keeps the windows model as well as developing their new wedb os. The new web os is just not ready for prime time yet. It would be such a bad decision to dump windows and go for the web os exclusively, they will loose ALLOT of customers, including me.

My Teo Pro has:

skyfire (browse ANYTHING perfectly)
    slingbox
    sirius
    mobile wifi
    private sms
    exposed keyboard *** (must have)
    multi task
    myphone (new app to backup - wonderful)

Until another phone offers that I just cant switch.
    Hmmm, you just read that no more Win Mo phones from Palm...and in 2010..where have you been??

Anyway, if you want 6.5 that bad head on over to ppcgeeks.com and download custom ROMS with 6.5. The Pro and most current Win Mo phones will not do 7.0 as they don't meet the standard requirements. As of now the only current (and probable) device that will get the 7.0 upgrade is the HD2.

Also don't forget that Samsung also makes qwerty based Win Mo phones too for Sprint, case in point the Samsung Intrepid which is a Win Mo 6.5 device already. Samsung Intrepid SPH-i350 Specs & Features (Phone Scoop) . To a much lesser extent there's also the HTC Snap.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    your prbably right.

the market will bring something to fill the void.

its funny that htc commented few months back they were going to goto droid exclusveky but i think the retracted it.

win mobile has a nice thing going for it and its soooo easy for microsoft to compete.

hope they stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Hmmm, you just read that no more Win Mo phones from Palm...and in 2010..where have you been??

Anyway, if you want 6.5 that bad head on over to ppcgeeks.com and download custom ROMS with 6.5. The Pro and most current Win Mo phones will not do 7.0 as they don't meet the standard requirements. As of now the only current (and probable) device that will get the 7.0 upgrade is the HD2.

Also don't forget that Samsung also makes qwerty based Win Mo phones too for Sprint, case in point the Samsung Intrepid which is a Win Mo 6.5 device already. Samsung Intrepid SPH-i350 Specs & Features (Phone Scoop) . To a much lesser extent there's also the HTC Snap.
    This is the best phone on the market. You don't need a phone with movable parts or a bigger screen or that can't fit in your pocket. Just make sure to dl and use opera mobile as well as for making sure you take advantage of all of the settings opera mobile offers. It allows you set your own zoom percentage and stuff like that as well as for allowing you to sync your bookmarks though the use of Opera Link. It works similar to activesync. When I see a good link I want to bookmark to my Pro while browsing with my desktop I can bookmark it to the Opera Mini folder and it will sync to my phone the next time I log into Opera Link using my Pro. Internet Explorer mobile is garbage. I got my sprint $69.95 package that includes everything(sprint navigation unlimited data and unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited any texting, and I only use about 250 landline calls every month even though I'm allowed 450) and make sure to dl pda net so you can use ur phone as a modem if you need to. I picked up a phone holder so that I can better use Sprint Navigation here.... shop.treonauts.com/arkon-cm910-vehicle-mount-kit-and-universal-holder/3A78A574.htm and mounted it just above my avh-p5100dvd that I have in my car. I was forced to dl jetwaremobile software to get the bluetooth to work from my pro to my avh headunit. They would see each other but wouldn't complete the connection for some reason, I think conflicting profiles. Love my pro.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Makes you wonder why more people are not aware of this phone?

It can do anthing that any other phone can do and can do more than most phones can do.

Quote Originally Posted by holmesnmanny View Post
    This is the best phone on the market. You don't need a phone with movable parts or a bigger screen or that can't fit in your pocket. Just make sure to dl and use opera mobile as well as for making sure you take advantage of all of the settings opera mobile offers. It allows you set your own zoom percentage and stuff like that as well as for allowing you to sync your bookmarks though the use of Opera Link. It works similar to activesync. When I see a good link I want to bookmark to my Pro while browsing with my desktop I can bookmark it to the Opera Mini folder and it will sync to my phone the next time I log into Opera Link using my Pro. Internet Explorer mobile is garbage. I got my sprint $69.95 package that includes everything(sprint navigation unlimited data and unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited any texting, and I only use about 250 landline calls every month even though I'm allowed 450) and make sure to dl pda net so you can use ur phone as a modem if you need to. I picked up a phone holder so that I can better use Sprint Navigation here.... shop.treonauts.com/arkon-cm910-vehicle-mount-kit-and-universal-holder/3A78A574.htm and mounted it just above my avh-p5100dvd that I have in my car. I was forced to dl jetwaremobile software to get the bluetooth to work from my pro to my avh headunit. They would see each other but wouldn't complete the connection for some reason, I think conflicting profiles. Love my pro.
    SAD. It's a reallly great phone but I have moved on to the Nexus One and loving it. But even the N1 is not without it's bugs and quirks. Needless to say my STP is up for sale in the classifieds section. I thought I would never be able to go to a virtual keyboard but I have to say you get used to it and having a large screen is great.
    I tried to adapt to an onscreen keyboard with the Hero. What a disappointment this device is. Android 1.5 is very boring. I returned it after 10 days. Then switched the Moment. Another boring Android 1.5 device. This one lasted 6 days.

I have watched the 7 series video from Microsoft and I'm blown away. Didn't think they had another pitch but the 7 Series is a curve ball. That will be my next device if it hits Sprint. I'm not jumping ship and leaving an incredible plan because a cool device is on another carrier. That's just idiotic. Example, if I left Sprint for the iPhone it would cost me 42% more per month than what I pay currently (Grandfathered 25% off an old Everything Plan). Is the iPhone worth the extra cost? Hell No!!!
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    Makes you wonder why more people are not aware of this phone?

It can do anthing that any other phone can do and can do more than most phones can do.
    More people aren't turned on to this phone because the industry "pundits" - the tech writers - have been telling their readers that WinMo is "useless" for the past number of years. So [I] get answers back to me like:

You paid big money for your WM and now it's obsolete. Get over it. (Well, it was obsolete to start with)
    Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

and yet OUR choices don't count - it is either their opinion on what to buy, the iPhone and it operational ilk, or nothing else 'matters'. They can't handle the idea that people actually CHOOSE to buy a WinMo 6.x device because their tech blog-writing heroes say not to. So really excellent devices like the Treo Pro, which fits my personal needs almost precisely, never gain any spotlight at all and therefore no significant market share. We are supposed to buy on glitz and peer acceptance, rather than function and need.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    I'm not jumping ship and leaving an incredible plan because a cool device is on another carrier. That's just idiotic. Example, if I left Sprint for the iPhone it would cost me 42% more per month than what I pay currently (Grandfathered 25% off an old Everything Plan). Is the iPhone worth the extra cost? Hell No!!!
    But, as you know, a LOT of people do it. They have to have the newest device and it sickens them to no end if they don't have it to show others.

Did you get this one?

iPhone must-have crowd inflates UK gadget insurance claims • The Register

At least the (some) Europeans seem to be able to clue in to the real motives of others through all this phone/tech hype.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast