Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If the tech reviewers never reviewed the "new and cool" devices they wouldn't have a job. The only fault with this phone is it's camera. If they made the same exact phone with a 5 megapixel camera I would spend up to 200 dollars on it.

I fault microsoft for not committing a team to continually update Internet Explorer Mobile. How can they not do this. They wonder why so many people are resorting to use other mobile browsers like Opera, which in turn will turn manufacterers to stop using Windows. That's just stupid business.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    If you really think about it, the only thing the Iphone is good for you would be cute little apps.

If you are a user with multiple needs (flash, multitasking, email, mobile wifi hotspot, sirius radio) then there are not allot of choices outside of winmo currently. This is not to say or imply that the Iphone, WebOS, and Android wont catch up but they are not there yet for me.

The closest thing would be the blackberry but i just dont need my email on the go that much and i dont wanna pay $40 extra a month and it doesnt have the mobile wifi hotspot as of yet (as far as i know).

When I show a teenager my phone they have no idea what it is. Windows has to step up their marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by dinoSnake View Post
    More people aren't turned on to this phone because the industry "pundits" - the tech writers - have been telling their readers that WinMo is "useless" for the past number of years. So [I] get answers back to me like:

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

and yet OUR choices don't count - it is either their opinion on what to buy, the iPhone and it operational ilk, or nothing else 'matters'. They can't handle the idea that people actually CHOOSE to buy a WinMo 6.x device because their tech blog-writing heroes say not to. So really excellent devices like the Treo Pro, which fits my personal needs almost precisely, never gain any spotlight at all and therefore no significant market share. We are supposed to buy on glitz and peer acceptance, rather than function and need.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by holmesnmanny View Post

I fault microsoft for not committing a team to continually update Internet Explorer Mobile. How can they not do this. They wonder why so many people are resorting to use other mobile browsers like Opera, which in turn will turn manufacterers to stop using Windows. That's just stupid business.
    Internet Explorer Mobile is actually not that bad if you disable JavaScript, as outlined in this thread. The reason why the browser feels so slow is because of the extra processing needed to handle the heavy JavaScript on a lot of websites. On a PC with many GBs of RAM and 3+ GHz processors, you don't see the lag, but on a small portable device with limited RAM and CPU speed, the difference is notable. Once JavaScript is disabled, IE Mobile speeds up significantly.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    thanks for the info

i will try that out.

Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    Internet Explorer Mobile is actually not that bad if you disable JavaScript, as outlined in this thread. The reason why the browser feels so slow is because of the extra processing needed to handle the heavy JavaScript on a lot of websites. On a PC with many GBs of RAM and 3+ GHz processors, you don't see the lag, but on a small portable device with limited RAM and CPU speed, the difference is notable. Once JavaScript is disabled, IE Mobile speeds up significantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    Internet Explorer Mobile is actually not that bad if you disable JavaScript, as outlined in this thread]. The reason why the browser feels so slow is because of the extra processing needed to handle the heavy JavaScript on a lot of websites. On a PC with many GBs of RAM and 3+ GHz processors, you don't see the lag, but on a small portable device with limited RAM and CPU speed, the difference is notable. Once JavaScript is disabled, IE Mobile speeds up significantly.
    The speed certainly isn't the only reason to prefer Opera Mobile over IE mobile. You can't fine tune the zoom. You can't open up multiple tabs. The touch and feel itself when sifting over a webpage itself is awful in IE mobile and so on. The only good thing about IE mobile is the fact is uses a bit less memory than Opera Mobile.
    The speed certainly isn't the only reason to prefer Opera Mobile over IE mobile. You can't fine tune the zoom. You can't open up multiple tabs. The touch and feel itself when sifting over a webpage itself is awful in IE mobile and so on. The only good thing about IE mobile is the fact is uses a bit less memory than Opera Mobile.
    For me, the entire positive of using IE6 or PIE over Opera Mobile / Skyfire is that you don't have to zoom at all.

Set your text size (on IE6) or your zoom level (on PIE) to your preference and off you go - every page loads up at that text size / zoom level and stays that way, instantly readable. I found that I spent so much time on Opera Mobile and Skyfire zooming around a "rendered like a desktop" page that I was driving myself mad, wasting twice to three times as much time just to read the page.

For me, 99% of the time I found, content beat presentation hands down.
    My STP has been so reliable I'm finding it hard to switch to anything else. As long as it keeps working flawlessly I will most likely be keeping it till my 2 year contract is up and then I'll see what's available.

It'll still be a while before WebOs phones can replace the STP imo. Although the new flash support has peaked my interest. Maybe by summer/fall things will look brighter and I'll re-evaluate. Until then I'm still happy with my STP.
    For me, the entire positive of using IE6 or PIE over Opera Mobile / Skyfire is that you don't have to zoom at all.

Set your text size (on IE6) or your zoom level (on PIE) to your preference and off you go - every page loads up at that text size / zoom level and stays that way, instantly readable. I found that I spent so much time on Opera Mobile and Skyfire zooming around a "rendered like a desktop" page that I was driving myself mad, wasting twice to three times as much time just to read the page.

For me, 99% of the time I found, content beat presentation hands down.
    Setting text high enough to act like a zoomed to 120% Opera Mobile page simply displays yahoo fantasy sports league columns to the point that the text at the top of the columns is squeezed shut to "...."
    Setting text high enough to act like a zoomed to 120% Opera Mobile page simply displays yahoo fantasy sports league columns to the point that the text at the top of the columns is squeezed shut to "...."
    ...possibly not if you are using Pocket IE rather than IE6, via activation using IE Toggle.

PIE (which gets 95% of my 90-95% IE usage) has a setting, "One Column", that forces a reformat of the page to fit the screen width. It might look funny, with 'bad' (not to the original web design) formatting, but it's all there and all readable.

I have IE6, PIE (mode), Opera Mobile and Skyfire...and use PIE mode [almost] exclusively. It's faster than IE6 (when it isn't I just hit the "Stop" button) and more readable than Opera Mobile (we won't even discuss how bad readability is on Skyfire)...but it isn't pretty. Like I said, I'll take "readable" over "presentation" any day.
    Yeah, I tried Skyfire one time and when I saw it didn't have a "Stop" button I immediately uninstalled it. It wasn't even closely as good as Opera Mobile anyhow. I'll try PIE when I get home from work tonight and utilize the IE Toggle and see how it looks. I've seen the IE Toggle fix previously but never had a reason to use it.
    ...possibly not if you are using Pocket IE rather than IE6, via activation using IE Toggle.

PIE (which gets 95% of my 90-95% IE usage) has a setting, "One Column", that forces a reformat of the page to fit the screen width. It might look funny, with 'bad' (not to the original web design) formatting, but it's all there and all readable.

I have IE6, PIE (mode), Opera Mobile and Skyfire...and use PIE mode [almost] exclusively. It's faster than IE6 (when it isn't I just hit the "Stop" button) and more readable than Opera Mobile (we won't even discuss how bad readability is on Skyfire)...but it isn't pretty. Like I said, I'll take "readable" over "presentation" any day.
    I use both, Opera Mobile 10 beta 3 and PIE. I set Opera to Mobile Mode with 100% zoom and is perfectly readable and most pages loads faster than PIE.

What I don't like about Opera is the large memory foot print. I still have PIE as the default browser. I never really cared much for IE6...
    Last edited by TreoNewt; 02/19/2010 at 06:35 PM.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I just picked up a new Treo Pro to replace a broken 800w. It was going to be a "holdover" device until a big, new, Android-TP2-Supersonic came out on Sprint.
    But, I'm liking it so much that I've become much more patient when it comes to using my upcoming "upgrade" discount this Summer.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Ive had mine for about 20+ days. Ive installed SPB shell, SEVEN, treo pro alert, google maps, MemMaid, SkyFire (but im gonna looking for something with a Stop button), and SofReset.

This is only my second "smart phone" and second of the treo brand. I upgraded from a Centro which still works, but has seen better days. I came late to the PALM OS party, and Im late again to the Windows platform. However, for all the nightmare stories I read and feared about windows, this phone is kicking ***!

I love the form factor of the phone..simply sexy...
    The phone is reliable, stable, light weight, I can customize it, and I get to keep my old data plan with Sprint.

SPB shell makes the phone that much better for me too.

My only gripe, and this is more so a Sprint issue i suppose, is that I cant use Hannip's Palm Messaging app to receive Pics. (damn you sprint....).

This phone is great and Im actually looking to buy a second one for the wife, but I cant cough up 300 (minues rebate) for the phone. Ill try Ebay.
    Install QuickMenu. When you hit the start button QuickMenu gives lots of options. Soft Reset is built in (Reboot option). Get it at FileCrop.com.

The beauty about WinMo is the tweaking and customizing to your liking. I have SPB Mobile Shell 2.1 (Don't care for 3.3-3.5, have it on my memory card), QuickMenu, TreoAlert 9.0, Memmaid, SKTools, Advanced Configuration 3.3, XCPUScaler and a bunch of registry hacks.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Now is a good time for me to remind everyone that you do NOT have to remove the back of the Treo Pro in order to simply hit the reset button!!

The software-based solutions are functional but if the unit is completely locked up, or you simply prefer not to install another piece of software for something that is accomplished in hardware (like myself), the reset button is accessible through the holding slot for the stylus.

Remove the stylus and use a flashlight to locate the (recessed) reset button for the first time. You use the stylus tip, with the stylus held at the appropriate angle, to depress the button. IMPORTANT NOTE: make SURE you do NOT hold the stylus with the black grab handle (the end opposite the tip) against any part of your hand (that is, do NOT apply ANY pressure against that grab handle) or you will probably break it off. Grab the stylus exclusively via the metal central area, get the tip angled in just so, and press the button.

Do it one time...and you'll find how easily repeatable it is, once you know both the secret and the location of the button.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I use both, Opera Mobile 10 beta 3 and PIE. I set Opera to Mobile Mode with 100% zoom and is perfectly readable and most pages loads faster than PIE.

What I don't like about Opera is the large memory foot print. I still have PIE as the default browser. I never really cared much for IE6...
    I had to uninstall Opera Mobile 10 Beta 1 because the UI was so hideous. What a disaster.

Is Beta 3 any better? I hope so...it really couldn't get any worse.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    I didn't have a Treo Pro when beta 1 and 2 were out--although I tried both with my Touch Pro.
    But, I have been using beta 3 on my Treo Pro and have had no problems. I've set it as my default browser and have no complaints after a few days of moderate browsing.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    I had to uninstall Opera Mobile 10 Beta 1 because the UI was so hideous. What a disaster.

Is Beta 3 any better? I hope so...it really couldn't get any worse.
    I liked Opera 9.7 UI and had about the same viceral reaction to Opera 10 when I first installed it. After several months of use I have grown to like it - is a lot more finger friendly for sure. I guess this is the direction in which most software will move from now on; some more gracefully than others.

Difference between Beta 2u and Beta 3 that I have noticed is more stability. So far this one has not crashed in any way, other than that, none that I can really appreciate.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    QuickMenu

Hit start button and it gives you lots of stuff without having to dig for it. Where it says "QuickMenu" it gives you options- Screen, SIP, Bluetooth, Hibernate, Suspend, REBOOT (Soft Reset), etc.

Went back to SPB Mobile Shell 2.1. I have 3.3 and like the scrolling capabilities. Just found it cluttered.

ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast