1.    #1  
    Kinoma defaults to the standard JPEG viewer once installed and it's a complete DUD. It's DOG slow, taking up to a minute to stop "Preparing" after it opens your JPEG. Kinoma / WinMo doesn't give a menu option to reset the file type association so I did it with RegEdit.

Is it just my copy of Kinoma or do others have the same dog performance with it and JPEGs?
    I only use it (free version) for music and it works well however it does use up a bunch of memory.

DeWayne
  3.    #3  
    Regretfully Kinoma's default is to take control of the JPEG association for the system - if you double-click on a JPEG file from anywhere in the system it will open up inside Kinoma. I did a small reg hack to fix that - it was driving me crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoSnake View Post
    Regretfully Kinoma's default is to take control of the JPEG association for the system - if you double-click on a JPEG file from anywhere in the system it will open up inside Kinoma. I did a small reg hack to fix that - it was driving me crazy.
    Within Kinoma go to Get Apps and download the Advanced Setting applet (free). The first option is file associations and you can deselct any that you don't want Kinoma to handle including JPEG and other graphic formats.

This applet also allows you to customize other aspects of Kinoma.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  5.    #5  
    No wonder...I don't have a "Get Apps" option at all No place, nowhere - and I'm using 5.0.75 according to the "About" screen

Looks like, if I want that option (which I've already fixed manually, actually) I'll have to uninstall and re-download Kinoma. Is that what you have done?
    No wonder...I don't have a "Get Apps" option at all No place, nowhere - and I'm using 5.0.75 according to the "About" screen
    Current version of Kinoma is 5.1.83. Open the menu, go to Player tab and tap Check for Updates. It will allow you to download and install the latest version.

I am making the assumption that you have the full vesion of Kinoma and not Kinoma Free. If this is not true, you will have no access to the Get Apps widget and no way to change the program's file associations.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  7.    #7  
    Yeah I'm using Free, and the most current version is 5.0.75.

Thanks for the heads-up regarding the increased feature set of the full version.

But so far, for me Kinoma is a "mixed blessing" and I am not convinced that it is worth the pay-for upgrade. The YouTube search algorithm really stinks (or, conversely, the results are limited by some very obscure parameters) because even when you put in the exact title of the video you are looking for...many times it simply refuses to show up. I once spent 20 minutes trying to get a precise video that I watched at home on Kinoma...no dice, it simply refused all attempts to get what I wanted, showing me it's own choices as alternatives. Add in memory hogging, freezes with memory leaks and simply horrifically slow image load speeds...and I see what other people on the web have complained about (I did a Google on Kinoma to find out more about it).
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    I am making the assumption that you have the full vesion of Kinoma and not Kinoma Free. If this is not true, you will have no access to the Get Apps widget and no way to change the program's file associations.
    One quick addition to TreoNewt's helpful posts: Even if you just have Kinoma FreePlay, there are lots of utilities that let you change file associations.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    The YouTube search algorithm really stinks (or, conversely, the results are limited by some very obscure parameters) because even when you put in the exact title of the video you are looking for...many times it simply refuses to show up.
    YouTube search results come directly from YouTube. A very small percentage of videos aren't available on mobile, otherwise you'll get pretty much the same results as you will when searching from a PC.

I once spent 20 minutes trying to get a precise video that I watched at home on Kinoma...
    One way to play a specific YouTube video is to use the Open URL command and enter the URL of its web page. Kinoma Play will automagically find the content from its web page.

Alternatively, just save it as a Favorite on the PC web site. If you're logged in, it'll automatically appear in the My Favorites category in Kinoma Play's YouTube app.

Add in memory hogging, freezes with memory leaks and simply horrifically slow image load speeds...
    There's a "preparing" step that happens during image load, but it's generally quick. It's easy enough to see how fast it is on your phone by trying Kinoma FreePlay.

There are no known memory leaks in Kinoma Play. That's not to say there couldn't be any, but the current release has been available for several months and so far our support team hasn't traced any problems to memory leaks.

Kinoma Play uses 6-10MB of RAM depending on what you're doing, which is released back to the OS when necessary. Kinoma Play was developed to run well on the original Samsung BlackJack, so in practice it's quite snappy on any WinMo phone built in the last few years.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    I too find Kinoma's handling of pictures to be ****-poor and quite intrusive, especially with no built-in way to disassociate it from picture files.

However, if you download Resco Explorer (a program that's actually useful), you can change your file associations fairly easily. Resco has a free 30 day trial, so even if you don't find it to be useful, you have an easy, free fix to your problem.
  11.    #11  
    Thank you for your reply. I am using FreePlay, which came with my new Sprint Treo Pro. FreePlay seems to be several releases behind the pay-for Play.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    YouTube search results come directly from YouTube. A very small percentage of videos aren't available on mobile, otherwise you'll get pretty much the same results as you will when searching from a PC.
    I see that...now. I sent myself video links via email and IE6 reports "Not available on mobile".

One way to play a specific YouTube video is to use the Open URL command and enter the URL of its web page. Kinoma Play will automagically find the content from its web page.
    FreePlay will not allow this

Alternatively, just save it as a Favorite on the PC web site. If you're logged in, it'll automatically appear in the My Favorites category in Kinoma Play's YouTube app.
    I tried this, it did not work. It may be a limitation of FreePlay or a (now learned) inability to play the specific videos on mobile.

There's a "preparing" step that happens during image load, but it's generally quick. It's easy enough to see how fast it is on your phone by trying Kinoma FreePlay.
    As others can attest to, sometimes for no reason it will get suck on "Preparing" for an AMAZINGLY long time. It will just process and process and process - up to a minute or longer. This is what happened to me when I sent myself a 600K JPEG file, and was "the straw that broke the camel's back" and what urged me to both change Kinoma's file associations myself (regedit) and write this thread.

Interestingly, I just tried opening the same file with Kinoma...instant. I cannot repeat the extraordinarily frustrating "processing" that I experienced before.