1.    #1  
    Ok so Im having a bit of a problem with the messaging on my treo pro. I have about 2,000 messages in my inbox and sent items folder and I want to delete them. However, if I try to use Menu > Tools > Clear "SMS\MMS" it seems to freeze up the messaging application. The color wheel comes up and just continues to spin but I'm pretty sure that it's not actually doing anything as I have let it go for a fairly long time with no results.

In my inbox, I can do a Menu > Select Messages > All and then do a Menu > Delete and it moves them to the deleted items folder and I can clear that out ok but then when I do a soft reset the messages reappear.

As far as my sent items, if I try to do a Menu > Select Messages > All and then hit the left softkey (Delete) it will not even move them to the deleted items folder it just comes up with the spinning color wheel and doesnt appear to be doing anything.

So essentially I have no way of deleting all my old messages. The only thing that seems to work is if I delete one or only a few messages at a time, which isnt a feasible considering I have over 2,000 mesages.

I love this phone but it frustrates me that there seems to be these little software bugs. I am running the Manilla 2D .cab with the TouchFlo interface and I cannot get the messaging tab to diplay the correct messages because it appears to be programmed to diplay the messages in descending order starting with the most recent, and since some of my messages were recieved in 2016 according to my phone (Y2016 bug) it just keeps displaying my old messages from before I downloaded the workaround for the bug.

Please Help! Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabolous24 View Post
    Ok so Im having a bit of a problem with the messaging on my treo pro. I have about 2,000 messages in my inbox and sent items folder and I want to delete them. However, if I try to use Menu > Tools > Clear "SMS\MMS" it seems to freeze up the messaging application. The color wheel comes up and just continues to spin but I'm pretty sure that it's not actually doing anything as I have let it go for a fairly long time with no results.

In my inbox, I can do a Menu > Select Messages > All and then do a Menu > Delete and it moves them to the deleted items folder and I can clear that out ok but then when I do a soft reset the messages reappear.

As far as my sent items, if I try to do a Menu > Select Messages > All and then hit the left softkey (Delete) it will not even move them to the deleted items folder it just comes up with the spinning color wheel and doesnt appear to be doing anything.

So essentially I have no way of deleting all my old messages. The only thing that seems to work is if I delete one or only a few messages at a time, which isnt a feasible considering I have over 2,000 mesages.

I love this phone but it frustrates me that there seems to be these little software bugs. I am running the Manilla 2D .cab with the TouchFlo interface and I cannot get the messaging tab to diplay the correct messages because it appears to be programmed to diplay the messages in descending order starting with the most recent, and since some of my messages were recieved in 2016 according to my phone (Y2016 bug) it just keeps displaying my old messages from before I downloaded the workaround for the bug.

Please Help! Thanks.
    Try turning off the Today screen's readout of unread messages, soft reset, then try deleting your dead SMS messages.

If that doesn't work try tips at

cemail.vol file - corrupt - can't delete or rename - WinMo @ MoDaCo

If that doesn't work try

Dotfred's Space

Keep this in your mind as a last resort: all SMS and mail data seems to be kept in the CEMAIL.VOL file located in the root directory of the device. Rename the file to CEMAIL1 or somesuch (after you turn off the Today screen and soft reset) and then soft reset the device again. Note that this will delete all your mail, not just SMS. I would do a Sprite Backup of the system prior to attempting this just in case things blow up

Please remember that since you are running CABs that are not specific to this device you really shouldn't / can't blame the device when thing go all ka-blooey sometimes.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the advice, I actually spoke to both sprint and palm tech supposrt today and they seemed to think it sounded like a file was corrupted and reccomended that I do a backup and then a hard reset.

I was trying to avoid this, but I was getting frustrated so I decided to just do it. I did the hard reset and then restored my phone from the backup file and tried to Clear "SMS\MMS" as I had before. It appearded to not be working as it had before, and it took a minute or two but then all of a sudded it worked and my messages were clear.

However I am still worried that something might be corrupted.

O yeah and I had this problem before I installed the manila 2D .cab and Treo Alert Pro .cab
    I doubt if you'll have a problem after the hard reset. It sounds like everything went pretty smoothly and you're in the clear. Hard reset with restore almost always seems to fix these sorts of things. Since you run backups I wouldn't be concerned - just enjoy your phone!

The only suggestion I may possibly make is not to allow the CEMAIL / SMS message queue to get too large - I've read of problems like yours before when the cache just gets too large. Prune it occasionally and I can hope that will prevent it again. As I wrote in another thread, the same thing happens to BlackBerries - too many saved messages, the system goes boom!
  5.    #5  
    where is this CEMAIL file located?