webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Windows Mobile Devices & Apps > Does generic micro usb cable/charger work?
Does generic micro usb cable/charger work?

Old 01/19/2010, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
jbb

As title. There's no car charger in product box. I also need another micro usb cable in my office. Do I have to buy treo pro compatible ones? Can I just buy generic data sync micro usb cable and micro usb charger? Can I use the cable/charger designed for other devices?
jbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2010, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

The microUSB have the D+ and D- pins set properly, as per

How USB chargers work so that device knows to draw 500mA? [Archive] - iLounge Forums

This is (now) the "standard" for non-computer USB charging. Older devices did not require this but new, smart devices need this in order to detect that they are not plugged into a computer and therefore there will not be any other logic to switch the device into "charge" mode. Motorola and Apple chargers have the D+/D- pins activated as per this spec but for other chargers there is no guarantee. You can always mod the charger, or cable, as per the link above if you want / need to.
dinoSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 03:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am using a samsung car charger. Works like a charm.
loenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2010, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoSnake View Post
The microUSB have the D+ and D- pins set properly, as per

How USB chargers work so that device knows to draw 500mA? [Archive] - iLounge Forums

This is (now) the "standard" for non-computer USB charging. Older devices did not require this but new, smart devices need this in order to detect that they are not plugged into a computer and therefore there will not be any other logic to switch the device into "charge" mode. Motorola and Apple chargers have the D+/D- pins activated as per this spec but for other chargers there is no guarantee. You can always mod the charger, or cable, as per the link above if you want / need to.

sounds a little risky if it were me i'd just go buy the one for this phone but thats just me
ooxteme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2010, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Regarding the cable, any microUSB cable will work. They are all standard.

On the charger side, look for one that says "High output power" or similar. The newest chargers already have the D+/- change so they will charge the Pro without a problem. Older chargers may need the hack to make them work.

Here are a few examples that will work:

Treocentral store car chargers for the Pro

I particularly hear good things about the Motorola one. Recommended.
Old 01/22/2010, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Motorola chargers work fine on the Pro. It's cables that can be a problem. Seido has a USB to micro cable with two micro plugs. One for data and one for charging. It works. Besides the Palm USB to micro cable and Seido, I've run across a few others that just don't work for power/charging.
ftwitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2010, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwitty View Post
Motorola chargers work fine on the Pro. It's cables that can be a problem. Seido has a USB to micro cable with two micro plugs. One for data and one for charging. It works. Besides the Palm USB to micro cable and Seido, I've run across a few others that just don't work for power/charging.
Belkins don't - I have a Belkin dual USB port, amonst others, and it is why I know about the D+/- issue. I must / am currently using the Rocketfish USB cable with the Belkin but want a smaller connector so I am thinking of making a charge 'enabler' cable out of a short USB M-F jumper I have.

I use Motorola and Virgin/Audiovox chargers as well with my STP, and they work like a charm. The Motorols for the i776 that I use is especially good - pretty fast and quite small.
dinoSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2010, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwitty View Post
Motorola chargers work fine on the Pro.
Second this one. Got a car and a wall charging unit from Walmart and they both work very well.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
TreoNewt is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0