1.    #1  
    Ok, so no one else has said anything yet to this... Can you explain???
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    Ok, so no one else has said anything yet to this...
    Maybe, because IM(own)HO this is completely worthless. What's the use of booting a phone to Linux if you can't do anything with it as a phone?? Linux certainly doesn't have any phone-oriented, nor smartphone-specific, apps or interfaces.

You'll lose Contacts, incoming / outgoing call tracking, SMS/MMS, Calender and alerts, pop up notifications, weather, news feeds, RSS readers, smartphone-specific (small screen / low overhead) media players, how will dialup data services be handled...???

Another silly idea, "just because we can", brought to the world (IMHO, of course )

:sigh: This is completely personal, but I wish people would simply acknowledge these things as phones and get on with their lives. [/rant]
  4.    #4  
    Porting Android is the purpose. There has been a lot of development on the linux-msm project for the Qualcomm MSM7xxxA processors. Other phones with the same or similar hardware already have drivers.

I am going to work on getting the latest kernel to fully boot. This video is just a proof of concept.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Have you checked ppcgeeks or xda-developers? There are people already working on porting android to the treo pro. They could probably help you out or vice versa.
  6.    #6  
    yep - I have spoken to a lot of those guys, many are on #htc-linux on freenode IRC. I actually pretty much know what needs to be done just need to find the time to do it now.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by we350z View Post
    yep - I have spoken to a lot of those guys, many are on #htc-linux on freenode IRC. I actually pretty much know what needs to be done just need to find the time to do it now.
    Cool. Can't wait to Android on the Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by we350z View Post
    Porting Android is the purpose. There has been a lot of development on the linux-msm project for the Qualcomm MSM7xxxA processors. Other phones with the same or similar hardware already have drivers.

I am going to work on getting the latest kernel to fully boot. This video is just a proof of concept.
    OK - it would figure that they would want to do that. But, we'll see...Android seems to be designed for larger screens as it is much more touch oriented than WinMo 6.1 and on such a smalll screen I can't see the user experience being what people think.
  9.    #9  
    You could say the same for wM - that it was designed for larger screens. I think Android would be just as usable/customizable if not more so.

The face that it runs on top of linux vs. M$ garbage means it will probably make better use of the resources as well and run more efficiently.

A 528 MHz processor and 128MB RAM should do just fine, especially on a 320x320 screen.

Quote Originally Posted by dinoSnake View Post
    OK - it would figure that they would want to do that. But, we'll see...Android seems to be designed for larger screens as it is much more touch oriented than WinMo 6.1 and on such a smalll screen I can't see the user experience being what people think.
    Thanks for all the work you're doing we350z. I'm sure I'm not the only one who keeps checking back for updates!
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoSnake View Post
    ya i agree wish we had a little bigger screen then this would sound more practical
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    It seems like Android on Treo Pro might be a lost cause. Are you still working on this?
    Indeed, is anybody still working on this? I'd love to see what progress has been made so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdoasis View Post
    Indeed, is anybody still working on this? I'd love to see what progress has been made so far.
    There are teams working on Android ports to various WM phones, at xda-developers. At least some have a forum under the set of forums for that specific phone. I didn't see one for the Treo Pro. It's late, so I won't get to check if it's in the Android-specific forums.
    Phones: Cingular 8525, GSM Treo Pro, Tilt 2