1.    #1  
    So, I'm not in love with the Pre, don't hate the Pixi, but think I might love the Pro with Spb Mobile Shell running on it.

Candy bar w/keyboard (Just like the general form factor)
    WiFi
    I have a few WM apps for it already

Dislikes:

Is it dated already?
    WM 6.1 (with no official upgrade)
    Palm seems to have abandoned it?

Should I just go with the Pixi or Hero and be done with it? (Yes, I'm a Sprint customer...)
    Re vera, potas bene.
  2.    #2  
    Oh, and I really don't want to have to pull the stylus out, for much, if anything...is that doable?
    Re vera, potas bene.
    yes, only time I use the stylus is to do a reset
    I'm a long time time Palm OS user now using a Treo Pro for about six months. Previous phone was the Centro. After Palm decided to abandon the OS I figured it was time to start looking into a replacement. WebOS looked interesting, but I couldn't keep my current plan with Sprint if I moved to that phone so I ended up switching to the Treo Pro (really good deal on eBay) as an experiment, figuring that I could always move back to the Centro if necessary.

There was a learning curve in terms of figuring out the operating system, new applications, and how to tweak the phone to my preferences. However, I've been very satisfied. A number of developers make both Windows Mobile and Palm OS versions of their software. For example, DDH Software's Handbase app. Otherwise, I've been able to find Windows Mobile equivalence. Profimail instead of Snappermail. AgendaOne instead of Datebk6. These can be easily operated without a stylus. Additionally, RNS just came out with a Windows Mobile version of Hi-Launcher, which is looking very nice.

The OS has been very stable. More powerful than the Centro in terms of Web browsing and media. All in all, I think I'll be sticking with this phone.

Even though Palm appears to have abandoned Windows Mobile as well, the Treo Pro is manufactured by HTC, a company that makes a number of other very nice Windows Mobile phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorelse View Post
    Dislikes:

Is it dated already?
    WM 6.1 (with no official upgrade)
    Palm seems to have abandoned it?
    Is it dated? Well, yes, that style has been around for awhile. But you've already said it's what you're looking for. So, that question becomes irrelevant. If it's what you like to use it moves out of "dated" into "your style".

What don't you like about WM 6.1? It's stable. The menus make sense -- try scrolling through a large number of apps to find a specific app when you're using WM 6.5's nonsequential beehive menu.

Palm abandoning WM is true. But that's less important than it might seem. The Treo Pro was designed & made by HTC for Palm. So, there's lots of indirect support for the phone & the OS at sites like this one, WMExperts, XDA-Developers, etc. If I hadn't been offered an outstanding deal on a Tilt 2, the Treo Pro would still be my primary phone. But I have to admit that, since I'm "a little more mature" than many here, the larger screen does have its benefits.

I forget who said it or which site it was said on, but someone had stated awhile back that you need to buy a phone because of what it is & does, not what you think you can change the phone into. Your only guarantee of liking or disliking a phone is that it is what it is. Any modifications you make may or may not benefit you like you think they will. Whatever phone you get, be as sure as you can that you'll like it "as is" & you'll be OK.
    Last edited by kraski; 12/24/2009 at 09:51 AM.
    Phones: Cingular 8525, GSM Treo Pro, Tilt 2
  6.    #6  
    Lots of good feedback, thanks!

I should say, I'm very experienced at both 'old' Palms & WM. I've owned everything from Visor Edge's, Palm Treo's, iPaq's, HP Jornada's, to more recent T-Mobile SDA, and Blackberry's since they're free from work!

I gave up the SDA about a year ago since I never used my personal phone and just let work foot the bill for me. I've used Agendus extensively (loved it).

Since I'm changing jobs, I'll have to give up my blackberry and get my own phone again.

I'm kind of 'over' relentlessly tweaking my phone, and really want to work out of the box. Yet...I have bunch of really great WM apps, so my thinking was the Pro (loved my SDA's form factor).

My family plan is with Sprint, and I think I've pretty much convinced myself that the Pro is for me.

In another year or 2 I'll be able to see where all the OS's out right now have matured and make any changes then...Thanks guys!

And...who knows...maybe the Android port folks are working on will be viable as an option too.
    Last edited by dorelse; 12/24/2009 at 01:07 PM.
    Re vera, potas bene.
    As smartphones go, the TP is the best I've ever used bar none.

As mentioned above the WM 6.1 version on the TP is very stable and usable out the box. I liked the form factor of the Treo 800w better, but the OS was poorly implemented on that one (thanks God the TP is made by HTC and not Palm). And if you want the latest OS, several unofficial WM 6.5 versions are already available for the TP community to try...I prefer to keep WM 6.1 on my phone since is working fine.

So much I like this phone that I already bought a second one to have as a replacement in case I need it.

I do plan to keep this phone until:

1. WM 7 phones become available for us to evaluate OR
    2. Until versions and/or suitable substitutes of my core applications become available in either Android or WebOS.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNewt View Post
    As smartphones go, the TP is the best I've ever used bar none.
    I agree with this 100%.
    Whole hearted agreement here. I made the switch from Palm OS to WM and am happy with the choice. Whilst using the Centro I purchased and used a few WM devices, but really did not like them. When the 800W came out I liked it, but after 3 hardware problems, moved on to the Touch Pro. Had 2 of them and the 2nd one is still in use. I have since got to the Touch Pro 2 - on my 2nd one. The first over heated something fierce.

Out of the box? Very usable. I used FlexMail on the 800W and the Touch Pro devices. I found it not too good though on the Touch Pro 2 - very laggy and caused the device to drag something fierce. With FM it moves along very well. I also used Extreme Agenda as the PM manager, but due to the size of the PM files, it was laggy. I use the Pocket Outlook with a 10 minute poll and frankly, the calander is not that bad. I also find the Bluetooth implimentation better with WM and though I had problems with connectivity (on/off problems), the TP and TP2 give me no problems.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    The treo pro is a great phone first and decent smartphone second (good email, decent mobile browsing with skyfire). Most of the other smartphones: Iphone, Pre and even Droid are good "smartphones" (ie good mobile browsers decent email) but not very good phones. WM 6.1 is very stable I soft reset less often than my wife does her iphone. I've only hard reset once in 12 months at the instruction of palm tech support.
    The treo pro's dialer is just awesome, dialing from the screen pulls up a name and also filters down to the most recently received/dialed call if you have several similar entries. With the iphone you have to do these searches on separate screens. The droid doesn't even have a dedicated hardware call/end button. The phone button is on the homescreen and you can't use the hard keyboard to dial numbers.The Pre's phone functionality is not that great from what I've heard/read.
    Treo pro works very well as a "work" phone, if you want a "play" phone look into the others I mentioned above.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks!

I have decided to get the Pro...just need to get through the holidays. Should have it next week!

Can't wait.
    Re vera, potas bene.
  12.    #12  
    So, I picked it up on Friday. So far, I LOVE it! I've added spb mobile shell, which is really nice.

The phone out of the box is great! I'm very glad I purchased it, I'll see in a few weeks if I still feel the same way, but so far, its exactly what I wanted.
    Re vera, potas bene.
    I take for granted how stable it is. On my 750 I was constantly soft resetting and clearing cache, etc. using Memmaid. Now it just runs and runs for days on end with no need to reset. Of course now that i have had if for over a year it is pretty dialed in and I don't change settings or install new apps anymore...
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  14.    #14  
    I would be curious what you have installed. I only have spb mobile shell, facebook, Opera & Skyfire, & Personal Vehicle Manager. I can't think of much else.

Agendus will go on if my new job allows me to sync my phone to my work computer
    Re vera, potas bene.
    I would be curious what you have installed. I only have spb mobile shell, facebook, Opera & Skyfire, & Personal Vehicle Manager. I can't think of much else.

What you've mentioned above are prime examples of what I was talking about, before. You like SPB Mobile Shell, I found it way too complex to get to the things I use regularly. I much preferred the full install of Manila 2D & RealVGA. Skyfire is OK, Opera 9.5 was a disaster on my Treo Pro, the last version of the defunct Iris browser was much better. On the other hand the version of Opera 9.5 integrated into my Tilt 2 is the best phone browser I've used so far. And, for my usage, I liked Calendar Touch from SBSH better than Agendus.

Each of us has our own way of doing things. Which means that both the starting point & how the phone ends up are important, but the wrong starting point will make life far too "interesting".
    Phones: Cingular 8525, GSM Treo Pro, Tilt 2

Good luck with Agendus. I have found it to be always incomplete and bugy. The native PRO applications I have found to great and bug free.