Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    d-pad support and many more enhancements
    Opera Mini | The most popular mobile phone browser in the world
    installs but when I try to launch it starts then returns to the midlet manager
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    installs but when I try to launch it starts then returns to the midlet manager
    Yep, same here. Anyone more lucky care to share how they got it to work?
  4.    #4  
    Which midlet manager are you using? Do a search for my post and use the one I mentioned. I don't use cloudyfa anymore so it may be incompatible.
    Thanks for the advice, but no luck yet. Installed new 2009 Java but still Opera 5 beta 2 won't run. It's strange because beta 1 worked ok even with old pre-installed java on my Treo Pro. Only the no-Dpad issue. Oh well ...
    I prefer opera mobile 10 beta.. hard to install opmin on my STP
    IMHO Opera Mobile 10 Beta is a dog - I actually downgraded back to 9.7. 10 needs a lot of work before it's ready for prime-time.
  8.    #8  
    I like it a lot, have always dug the Safari-esque smooth zooming and scrolling. With wM 6.5 there is barely enough memory to run it - sometimes I get prompted to close other programs even when nothing else is running. Also - where is the Flash support? I don't think its as much of a dog or as cloogy as Skyfire.

For now I dig Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 which is what my original post is regarding.

Quote Originally Posted by dinoSnake View Post
    IMHO Opera Mobile 10 Beta is a dog - I actually downgraded back to 9.7. 10 needs a lot of work before it's ready for prime-time.
    Quote Originally Posted by we350z View Post
    I like it a lot, have always dug the Safari-esque smooth zooming and scrolling. With wM 6.5 there is barely enough memory to run it - sometimes I get prompted to close other programs even when nothing else is running. Also - where is the Flash support? I don't think its as much of a dog or as cloogy as Skyfire.

For now I dig Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 which is what my original post is regarding.
    Thank you for the post regarding Opera Mini I, so far, agree with your assessment of Skyfire but Opera Mini's JVM requirement is too much of a hassle in my book for the benefit. At least Skyfire is native.

Sorry to go off topic but IMHO OM10Beta is a dog, because of all the points you mention plus more. One single, pre-selected zoom level does not work for all sites visited and you notice that Google results defaults to it? It locks up if accessing the web when the signal degrades, especially if you do more tap inputs than the program can process at the time. Also, tap controls in the menu seem far less responsive than normal and often require multiple taps.

No way to reorganize favorites on the Favorites Speed Dial page. Actually seems slower in page loads than 9.7, mostly I believe when multiple tabs are open due to being that HUGE memory hog as you mention. I spent far too much time inside the menu constantly changing settings for zoom, etc., rather than browsing.

Zoom and scroll screen touches are interpreted far better than 9.7, but otherwise the rest of 10's UI feels like a disaster. They fixed the aforementioned issues of zoom and scroll touches versus 9.7 but on the rest threw the baby out with the bath water. The UI is all glitz, no meat (ooh, sounds like a certain white/chrome/black-backed touchscreen fruity phone we all know... )
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Beta 2 installed and works so far- especially happy that synced bookmarks is back-
    IMHO: (not that you asked)
    Skyfire is nice in that when no other browser plays video, it runs just like a desktop browser (with notable exception since summer: RIP Hulu on Skyfire, of course)-but I have never seen any less intuitive browser- I click links when I want to zoom in, I zoom out when I want to click links, I go back when I want to stop loading, I stop loading when I want to exit-
    It (i.e. Skyfire) works great when nothing else does, and therefore I go to it as needed, but nothing out there (and I've tried them all) can browse on the fly like the speedy little intuitive Opera Mini-
    (as for Opera Mobile- I have tried and dumped it in frustration so many times already that I've completely given up on it- it has all the negatives of Skyfire without the one important Positive- flawless video )

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by marksr View Post
    as for Opera Mobile- I have tried and dumped it in frustration so many times already that I've completely given up on it- it has all the negatives of Skyfire without the one important Positive- flawless video
    Mark
    I'm in a love-hate relationship with Opera Mobile as well. It renders fairly well but the 9.7 UI needed refinement...then rather than refine what they already had they threw it all out for 10, just to start all over again with fixing the dog's broken legs while attempting to give him a heart transplant.

Thanks to IEToggle I find I am going back, more and more, to simple PIE. Many times I go to websites for text content - news, tech, blogs - where dealing with Opera Mobile's zoom and multi-column layout is a PITA (switching to mobile view is yet more taps with uncertain results), Skyfire's text rendering is blurry and IE6 is dog slow.

Who knew that last generation's browser is the absolute best for simple web text reading? This is a perfect example of just because it's new...doesn't mean it's better. PIE's single-column mobile text view is perfect for on-the-move blog and news readings on the 320x320 screen. I don't need the fancy desktop-duplicate layouts - they only clutter such a small screen and then you must deal with zooming and panning all over the place to try to read the content you truly came for.

I've learned, in only a week's time, to save OP9.7 / Skyfire for the media-rich glitzy web sites where the look is as important as the content. When I want info, and I want it now, I've found PIE is my king here.
    was there ever an answer to finding a java manager that works on our STP's that doesn't crash? i used to love Opera Mini 4.1 or whatever but stopped using it awhile back, and haven't kept up with what java manager is best, etc. I tried an all-in-one cab (opera mini 5b2, java, shortcut) from ppcgeeks, but it just crashes back to the today screen.
    Samsung N400 -> LG LX5350 -> Samsung A400 -> Sanyo 8100 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> HTC 6700 -> Treo 700wx -> HTC Touch -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch -> Samsung ACE -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch -> Touch Pro -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro -> Treo Pro -> Blackberry Bold 9650
  13.    #13  
    no question. Mobile needs to become more efficient as it is a dog. It's great as a full browser - scripts seem to run fine. I think the JVM requirement for Mini is small for what is gained - a small, lightweight, efficient and fast browser that just works. It's finger friendly as well as d-pad friendly now plus it supports multiple tabs. No question it's the best all-around browser unless you require flash support or scripting support in which case I just slow and clunky sky fire.

Quote Originally Posted by dinoSnake View Post
    Thank you for the post regarding Opera Mini I, so far, agree with your assessment of Skyfire but Opera Mini's JVM requirement is too much of a hassle in my book for the benefit. At least Skyfire is native.

Sorry to go off topic but IMHO OM10Beta is a dog, because of all the points you mention plus more. One single, pre-selected zoom level does not work for all sites visited and you notice that Google results defaults to it? It locks up if accessing the web when the signal degrades, especially if you do more tap inputs than the program can process at the time. Also, tap controls in the menu seem far less responsive than normal and often require multiple taps.

No way to reorganize favorites on the Favorites Speed Dial page. Actually seems slower in page loads than 9.7, mostly I believe when multiple tabs are open due to being that HUGE memory hog as you mention. I spent far too much time inside the menu constantly changing settings for zoom, etc., rather than browsing.

Zoom and scroll screen touches are interpreted far better than 9.7, but otherwise the rest of 10's UI feels like a disaster. They fixed the aforementioned issues of zoom and scroll touches versus 9.7 but on the rest threw the baby out with the bath water. The UI is all glitz, no meat (ooh, sounds like a certain white/chrome/black-backed touchscreen fruity phone we all know... )
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleu View Post
    was there ever an answer to finding a java manager that works on our STP's that doesn't crash? i used to love Opera Mini 4.1 or whatever but stopped using it awhile back, and haven't kept up with what java manager is best, etc. I tried an all-in-one cab (opera mini 5b2, java, shortcut) from ppcgeeks, but it just crashes back to the today screen.
    answered my own question i think. got this one working with the .jar in post #1

xda-developers - View Single Post - Opera mini not working

Edit:

- My above solution does not have a shortcut to start Opera Mini directly, so following the directions here worked for that: link

- Also, to fix the prompt about net access and such, I tried using the 'fix.exe' that i used for Opera Mini 4 to patch selector.utf in the \windows\appdb folder, and it worked for 5b2 too! here's the link to that info as well: link

Hope this helps somebody!
    Last edited by doubleu; 12/07/2009 at 09:18 AM.
    Samsung N400 -> LG LX5350 -> Samsung A400 -> Sanyo 8100 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> HTC 6700 -> Treo 700wx -> HTC Touch -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch -> Samsung ACE -> Treo 800w -> HTC Touch -> Touch Pro -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro -> Treo Pro -> Blackberry Bold 9650
    Finally someone found a solution!!!

Thank you very much Doubleu!

I did A LOT of searching over the internet and tried several Jbed builds (older and newer) and packaged all-included shortcuts. Nothing worked with this new Mini Beta 2. All did the same stop-at-progress-bar crash.

But I installed that OLD Jbed (2007) linked on your post (first link), downloaded again the OMb2 jar from Opera website and it didn't crash using that midlet manager. Today I didn't try downloading and running the jar from Opera without installing the "new" Java, so I'm not sure if it was that Opera updated/fixed something on their OMb2 files or if it was indeed the new installed Java that did the trick, but either way, thanks.

Haven't tried the other 2 links for the shortcut and the prompt-bypass, will try later.

Edit: The first link isn't working anymore, was working OK this morning.
    Last edited by Cheker; 12/08/2009 at 04:17 PM.
  16.    #16  
    This is what I am using - works perfect with OM 4.2, OM 5, Gmail:

Esmertec Jbed Build ID: 20080428.2.1

The other builds did not work for me, I got the crash at the progress bar load.
    Just installed mini beta 5.2 and i'm really liking it (actually typing this with it). Everything is working just fine. The new u.i is very nice and appealing. Only niggle is whe entering numbers you have to T9 it (tegic input-like).
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Just installed mini beta 5.2 and i'm really liking it (actually typing this with it). Everything is working just fine. The new u.i is very nice and appealing. Only niggle is whe entering numbers you have to T9 it (tegic input-like).
    +1 on everything said!

Now, anyone know how i can get a skyfire-like home page in another browser? i.e with facebook events, yahoo news, espn sports all sorted chronologically?
  19.    #19  
    glad everyone is enjoying it!! Opera rules!

Quote Originally Posted by doubleu View Post
    +1 on everything said!

Now, anyone know how i can get a skyfire-like home page in another browser? i.e with facebook events, yahoo news, espn sports all sorted chronologically?
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    so far so good...looking forward to synching bookmarks...and hopefully using only 1 browser.

usually use UCWEB, but it has limitation, but was fast...
    skyfire for flash and java
    ie...lol

how do you make mini the default, i don;t see it in the options
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast