1.    #1  
    Sorry if this question seems "basic", but I highly respect the knowledge on this site and want your feedback. I have been having issues with my Treo Pro and with my latest Hard Reset the phone went into a loop with the Align Screen and the Sprint representative is sending me a replacement phone. While that is good news because this phone seemed to be having more issues recently, it immediately worries me about restoring the numerous features/programs I loaded on the phone (again, thanks to this message board).

My question is this, when I get the new phone what will be the best way to get the new phone to match my old phone? Do I go out and download all of the programs (Treo AlertPro, WMWifi, MortScript, MarsWare, WeatherPanel, etc.) first and then run the Sprite Restore? Will that build the new phone correctly? Is there anything else I need to have in mind?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
  2.    #2  
    Any advice on setting up a new Pro? Is it simply a matter of loading the existing programs on the phone and then performing a Sprite Restore on the new phone?
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Mate,

I did that on a GSM Pro. I have mixed feelings about it though:

- Everything PIM got restored. However, when I used Outlook (since I keep my phone sync'ed with the PC for PIM) I had many double entries since everything that got restored was detected as new.

- All the apps I had before were reinstalled correctly using Sprite. There were a few paid programs that I had to manually re-register either via entering the key of letting them register themselves online, so be aware of this as a few programs (i.e. Kinoma Play) only allow you to be installed a set number of times.

- With the GSM version Sprite messed up the registers that allowed me to connect to the data sessions. I had to manually reconfigure the network configuration to acess data while in the past only by popping in the SIM card would automatically do it for me. This may/may not apply to the Sprint version given the way CDMA operates.

I'd recommend doing a custom recovery. If you have PIM data in your Mac/PC then have Sprite NOT restore that data and let Active Sync do it. Let Sprite deal with the programs and keep your keys and codes ready in case some of the paid apps ask for them.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    There were a few paid programs that I had to manually re-register either via entering the key of letting them register themselves online, so be aware of this as a few programs (i.e. Kinoma Play) only allow you to be installed a set number of times.
    FWIW, there's no hard limit. Moving activations to different phones isn't automatic after a certain threshold, but if (for example) you really did change phones 10 times in a month, a quick note to our support folks will get you going again.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks