1.    #1  
    My treo pro was bought 5 months ago, but has been used only 2 months. It has developed cracks and palm has issued a repair order for it. I havent sent the phone in yet. Palm rep told me that if I choose to send the phone in for repair, they will exchange the shell of the phone, but if I choose advance replacement, they will send me a refurbished treo pro for $30. I like the idea of device exchange, but the name "refurbished" kind of brings awe inside me. Name "refurbished" is usually attached with devices that were returned by users and were later reset to factory standards. But what about the quality? Palm rep told me that their shells have been changed with newer one's so that they dont get cracking issues in future. But then, if they are gonna replace the shell on my current treo pro as well just like on refurbished one, then why spend $30 for an exchange?
    Has anyone here got factory refurbished treo pro? How is the quality? Do they really perform like a new unit? Or is there a way I can convince palm for sending me a new one instead? What are the pro's and con's of getting advanced replacement? I am running little tight on my budget, so I dont want to spend $30 unless its absolutely better way out of the two and dont mind waiting few days for repaired treo pro to arrive back. Please help me decide!!
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    The reason to pay the $30 is to speed up the process. To not pay anything you will need to mail in your phone and they will fix or replace it and send it back. With the advanced replacement you get a new phone asap and you don't have to wait on anything. Its up to you really.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd78 View Post
    The reason to pay the $30 is to speed up the process. To not pay anything you will need to mail in your phone and they will fix or replace it and send it back. With the advanced replacement you get a new phone asap and you don't have to wait on anything. Its up to you really.
    I realize that. The speed of getting a phone is not a concern for me as I have my older treo device to fall back upon if needed. What I wanted to know was the quality of device I would receive back. Would it be good to say that a repaired treo pro is as good as a refurbished treo pro?
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
    If you look at this thread, it may help. It seems that most people were happy, but there a few that had some problems with their replacement.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...t-details.html
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Hmm. I could not tell you about this particular instance as I replaced my Pro with a brand new one. Palm did it after only a couple of months of the device being out.

However, I have used refurbished items in the past, particularly my old ATT Tilt. I bought it refurbished when I signed up for my contract and it has been working great ever since... perhaps even better than my Pro in some instances.

I'd say go for the $30 if you cannot part from your phone for too long.
    Ode to the Treo Pro: you had to look so good, you had to be HTC in disguise...
    i received one. the device was basically new. although the phone hadnt been out that long anyway. my only problems with it is that i have new cracks, lol. also, i have that battery not charging from wall charger issue that others seem to be having with their original devices.
    also, on a side note. the restoration using sprite on the received treo wasnt exactly smooth, seemed like there were software differences but not exactly obvious software differences between my treos.