1.    #1  
    I was wondering if anyone had found a solution to using the GPS function on a Sprint Treo Pro on an airplane. I tried it yesterday on a plane from Toronto to Dallas and could not find a way to get either Garmin Mobile XT, or Google Maps to work. The Garmin software kept trying to use the EVDO Internet which was obviously not available, and the Google Maps just did not work. I did notice that the Garmin software was showing up to six good fixes on satellites, but it did not show a map.

I have used other GPS devices on planes without trouble--it is really cool to see exactly where you are and show the speed and altitude.

Does any of the other sofware available for the Treo Pro (Tom-Tom, etc.) work in airplane mode?
    I would like to know that too.
    Cingular Treo 750||ATT WM6 ROM||AT&T Blue SIM||1GB SanDisk Card||
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Ok I have an HTC Touch, not pro, I have never tried this on a plane but I have done it on my bike several times when I put the PDA in airplane mode my Garmin GPS map program works just fine, I would not think being on a plane would make a difference, maybe it is some of that Palm special sauce, have you tried just turning off the radio, rather then using "Airplane mode"?
    Terry
    If I turn off the cellular radio by holding the button on the top of the phone I can use GPS with Garmin Mobile XT, iGO 8, TomTom 7, TrackyPro, GPS Tuner, BackCountry Navigator and others that store maps locally.
  5.    #5  
    I figured it out for Garmin Mobile XT!

All you have to do is go into Settings and Garmin Online and set it to OFF. Actually it works faster now that it does not continually look for gas prices, etc. No more dialing and trying to access Powervision!
    Quote Originally Posted by netbucks View Post
    I figured it out for Garmin Mobile XT!

All you have to do is go into Settings and Garmin Online and set it to OFF. Actually it works faster now that it does not continually look for gas prices, etc. No more dialing and trying to access Powervision!
    Well for Garmin XT that works (at least it's showing sats it's trying to connect to), but not for TomTom. I'm having no luck picking up any sats with TomTom in flight mode. Picks up in seconds when phone is on though.

As for Google Maps, well it requires data to pull maps, so don't expect Google Maps to work when there is no data or cell signal.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....